Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Target focused shooting with irons

Site Supporter
    I wish bullets were in stock to mess around with this idea. I guess this where I internally debate reloading again.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I have interacted with several competitive shotgun shooters including one who was an Olympic competitor. One removed the bead. All said they never saw the bead when shooting. I realized that these guys were athletes who had superb hand-eye coordination. They also had excellent eyesight. Their skill would have transferred to shooting handguns.
    Yeah, beads are ornamental as far as I'm concerned, and everyone I personally know who shoots clays/birds well would agree. My 20ga 391, which I've had for years and probably shoot better than any other shotgun, lost its bead at some point during all the abuse it's put up with, and I've never bothered replacing it. Probably never will.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by THeHumbleMarksman View Post
    Now obviously I made this video with competitive shooting in mind - but all of my irons shooting since adopted this technique has long since gone this way unless I am group shooting - but for hand sized targets at most pistol ranges I can usually target focus and hit - but figured I would post this here.

Taking the old “tape up the optic” trick - turns out you can do it with irons as well.

Forgive the sensational title - it’s how the YT game is played unfortunately. Hopefully I am not kicking over the ant hill by posting this here

Front sight focus is a lie - How to Target Focus - Be Faster and more accurate

https://youtu.be/RCJAPeJNvnY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most useful to me was the inversion of the commonly held "focus on the front sight" trope.

So here's some clickbait back at ya.

You should actually focus on the rear sight. The front sight only matters for difficult shots.

I think our own Les Pepperoni had an IG post recently about how to get on target quickly at and get good hits. It basically involved what he referred to as "framing" the target with the rear sight.

Lots of shooting instructors do a "shoot out of the notch" demo with classes. So many students see this drill and fail to understand what it even means. They'll shoot with the front sight all the way to the right, left, bottom, and top of the rear notch. Then they'll tell you that this means a repeatable trigger control is what you really need.

They're not wrong, but they only grasp half the lesson.

Guys like Tim Herron taught me the deeper meaning of this demonstration in his class.

If the target is at close range, I slice the target in half with the rear sight and shoot without really caring about the front sight much. If it's further away then I take a little more effort to see a decent alignment of the front sight. The correct trigger press is always going to be the most important thing, yes, but you really only need to pay attention the front sight for long/difficult shots.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Most useful to me was the inversion of the commonly held "focus on the front sight" trope.

So here's some clickbait back at ya.

You should actually focus on the rear sight. The front sight only matters for difficult shots.

I think our own Les Pepperoni had an IG post recently about how to get on target quickly at and get good hits. It basically involved what he referred to as "framing" the target with the rear sight.

Lots of shooting instructors do a "shoot out of the notch" demo with classes. So many students see this drill and fail to understand what it even means. They'll shoot with the front sight all the way to the right, left, bottom, and top of the rear notch. Then they'll tell you that this means a repeatable trigger control is what you really need.

They're not wrong, but they only grasp half the lesson.

Guys like Tim Herron taught me the deeper meaning of this demonstration in his class.

If the target is at close range, I slice the target in half with the rear sight and shoot without really caring about the front sight much. If it's further away then I take a little more effort to see a decent alignment of the front sight. The correct trigger press is always going to be the most important thing, yes, but you really only need to pay attention the front sight for long/difficult shots.
    I wrote this a couple years ago - but has the same general message - I was nowhere near as proficient as I am now but still

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/sh...ntent-contest/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I can have both eyes open, a hard sight focus, and only see one target. It’s just that now there are “two guns.” One is very faint though. That’s how I have to shoot to get my best results.
    Same, more or less. The 2nd gun isn't all that faint, I assume due to being cross dominant, but it's still not a big deal. It's far enough to the left and at enough of an angle that once the buzzer goes off it doesn't register.

I do notice that when moving around barrels or barricades and being surprised by a target (I either missed in a walkthrough or simply forgot was there because the MD was playing memory games with stage design) that I still sometimes slip into a target focus with the green fiber optic being a sort of dot-ish phantom ball that I can use to still get hits at close range. That was never an intentional, practiced technique. It's just an accidental thing that happens, and since I have some sort of visual confirmation the gun is pointed at the right part of the right target that means I don't have to blow the stage by coming to a stop and trying to get my eyes unconfused. Of course two alpha on cardboard close enough to spit on doesn't really take a lot, either.

So long as the gun (left hand) is more-or-less indexed directly in front of the (left) eye switching between the two focuses on unobscured targets at typical around-the-barricade-field-course distances doesn't seem to matter all that much. Assuming there are no no-shoots or hard cover on them.

Because of the ammo drought I finally bought a SIRT pistol for more trigger presses.

It comes with Glock OEM style sights but all black. They are easy for me to lose completely in poor light or against a dark target background so I started using that for target focused dry fire practice and I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing in terms of the laser pinging what I'm after. Then extending that to good lighting with target focused presses.
    Last edited by JHC; 02-26-2021 at 07:03 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Because of the ammo drought I finally bought a SIRT pistol for more trigger presses.

It comes with Glock OEM style sights but all black. They are easy for me to lose completely in poor light or against a dark target background so I started using that for target focused dry fire practice and I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing in terms of the laser pinging what I'm after. Then extending that to good lighting with target focused presses.
    What I discovered when I bought a SIRT a year or so ago was that I was capable of hitting with enough accuracy out to about 10-12 yards without using the sights at all. That was quite a revelation to me since I'm less likely to steer the gun at all when I'm focusing on the target.

Wow. I almost created a new thread five minutes ago with the same title.

I have never consciously thought about it, but while evaluating whether or not I want to switch to red dots on handguns, I’ve realized that even with irons I shoot both eyes open with a target focus.

I almost always shoot ARs with an Aimpoint micro and I think that eventually changed the way I shoot irons.

Even from 25 yards I take a target focus and for a split second really sharpen and focus on the bullseye behind my front sight. With Bill drills I’ve also noticed that I watch the big Orange front sight drop down into view (like a red dot) and press once it reaches the top of the A zone... pretty cool realization for me to build on.

I’ve been teaching “soft target focus” and “sight anchoring” for years now.

Hard front sight focus is bogus and causes a lot of over refinement issues.

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    I’ve been teaching “soft target focus” and “sight anchoring” for years now.

Hard front sight focus is bogus and causes a lot of over refinement issues.
    Glad to have you here on P-F, Tim.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List