Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Target focused shooting with irons

Target focused shooting with irons

Now obviously I made this video with competitive shooting in mind - but all of my irons shooting since adopted this technique has long since gone this way unless I am group shooting - but for hand sized targets at most pistol ranges I can usually target focus and hit - but figured I would post this here.

Taking the old “tape up the optic” trick - turns out you can do it with irons as well.

Forgive the sensational title - it’s how the YT game is played unfortunately. Hopefully I am not kicking over the ant hill by posting this here

Front sight focus is a lie - How to Target Focus - Be Faster and more accurate

https://youtu.be/RCJAPeJNvnY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m slowly (very slowly) getting to understand and be able to score an AA or AC at speed using target focus inside 5 yards (high D shooter in P / G19). Outside that, I shoot more often with a harder front sight. That tends to slow me down as well.

I must always concentrate on trigger control, though, for sure.

Be interested in the replies from some of the guys here.

Good video! Here's a comparison I did recently--all target focus with iron sights--exploring Hwansik Kim's 3 Confirmation Types:
    1. Index shooting, no vision confirmation
    2. Flash sight picture and/or sight in motion
    3. Stable sight picture

Church shot drill 8” plate 17yds.
    Confirmation 3, reliable hits ~1.5s
    Confirmation 2: 1.46, 1.38, 1.35 miss, 1.38, 1.11, 1.24 miss, 1.11.
    Sights taped over, Confirmation 2: 1.09s hit. Miss. Hit.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by THeHumbleMarksman View Post
    Now obviously I made this video with competitive shooting in mind - but all of my irons shooting since adopted this technique has long since gone this way unless I am group shooting - but for hand sized targets at most pistol ranges I can usually target focus and hit - but figured I would post this here.

Taking the old “tape up the optic” trick - turns out you can do it with irons as well.

Forgive the sensational title - it’s how the YT game is played unfortunately. Hopefully I am not kicking over the ant hill by posting this here

You know what really helped me target focus with Irons ? Shooting with a dot them switching back to irons.

The problem with “front sight focus is a lie” is for the shooters I deal with at work is their fundamentals are such that soft focus is already falling apart at 7 yards and we already have round accountability issues.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I’m slowly (very slowly) getting to understand and be able to score an AA or AC at speed using target focus inside 5 yards (high D shooter in P / G19). Outside that, I shoot more often with a harder front sight. That tends to slow me down as well.

I must always concentrate on trigger control, though, for sure.

Be interested in the replies from some of the guys here.
    Your issue is grip - you aren’t locking wrists every time and likely need to tweak your elbow positioning then learn to feather the trigger. You have to create a frame for recoil and have it be the same every single time. When you are hammering pairs you are seeing where the shots go and not actively aiming - so you shot call and send more if necessary rather than aiming hard on each shot - one good sight picture then two shots out to about 5-10 yards depending on how good your grip is. “Good” split times would be .2 or less for match setting at those distances

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good video! Here's a comparison I did recently--all target focus with iron sights--exploring Hwansik Kim's 3 Confirmation Types:
    1. Index shooting, no vision confirmation
    2. Flash sight picture and/or sight in motion
    3. Stable sight picture

Church shot drill 8” plate 17yds.
    Confirmation 3, reliable hits ~1.5s
    Confirmation 2: 1.46, 1.38, 1.35 miss, 1.38, 1.11, 1.24 miss, 1.11.
    Sights taped over, Confirmation 2: 1.09s hit. Miss. Hit.
    Hwansiks sight pictures aren’t as descriptive as Max’s sight pictures though admittedly I haven’t played with them any

Even though hardware topics are most common here, the essence of PF is software, and we need more software threads.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Even though hardware topics are most common here, the essence of PF is software, and we need more software threads.
    Software is Work, Hardware is Play... One needs a proper balance of both but I'm definitely guilty of too much play.

I just need a clarification before going into the rabbit hole on this one.

Are we (the royal "we") espousing the use of sights (soft focus) with a hard target focus OR the complete disregard of the sights with hard target focus (binary proposition - sights/no sights)?

*By "sight focus" I refer to iron sights. The use of RDS should demand a hard target focus and not a sight focus unless conducting a zero/confirm zero.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post
    I just need a clarification before going into the rabbit hole on this one.

Are we (the royal "we") espousing the use of sights (soft focus) with a hard target focus OR the complete disregard of the sights with hard target focus (binary proposition - sights/no sights)?

*By "sight focus" I refer to iron sights. The use of RDS should demand a hard target focus and not a sight focus unless conducting a zero/confirm zero.
    It depends on the target difficulty, but most of the time I use my sights to confirm alignment with the target. If the target is very large, mechanical alignment and the slide are enough.

Yesterday at a local match, target focus worked really well for me, even on a Classic target (turtle) with very tight no shoot partial at 20+yds. I shot 3 on it and got 2A and a close C. However, target focus didn't work well for me on some small, far knock-down steel on a lean. I went to war with those little fuckers, when I should have just used my sights more carefully. I couldn't confirm horizontal alignment well enough using target focus to go 1-for-1.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List