Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: preferred Glock slide length for red dot

preferred Glock slide length for red dot

What is the current groupthink for best slide length for a Glock with a red dot? In going through various threads over the past 5 years, it seemed like initially the impression was that the G45 felt the best, but objective performance was best with a G34. However, lately it seems like the G45 is preferred.

I’m trying to decide on my next purchase. Concealment isn’t an issue, as the gun will wear an ACRO and X300 and live in my nightstand safe, but will also be regularly be carried in a Safariland ALS holster, so draw speed is a factor. Locally, a G17, G19, G34, and G45 are all available. My primary CCW gun is a G19 with an ACRO, but it’s a recent transition and so far it’s the only red dot gun I’ve shot

For those of you with red dot experience, have you found one slide length that outperforms the others? Or is it a personal preference thing where if you ask 5 people you’ll get 6 answers?

In my admittedly limited experience with RDS, I see little to no advantage for having increased slide length regarding the sighting process, so slide length is dictated more by personal preference, duty requirements (if applicable), balance, draw speed, concealment, and perhaps barrel length for purposes of obtaining a desirable velocity. For most practical purposes, I see the 4" slide of the Glock compact G19, G45 etc. being a great choice.

Best, Jon

There is no “right” answer.

For pure competition, I like a 17/34. However, pre Gen 5, I found the 34 to need higher power factor ammo to run reliably. For general use, there is a lot going for the 19/45/19X ecosystem, where pieces can be swapped.

Pick one and carry on.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

An aside question that I have been meaning to ask.

When swapping uppers from g45/g19Mos /19x has anyone noticed a zero shift?

Do y’all swap out locking blocks as well or is that going overboard? Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    An aside question that I have been meaning to ask.

When swapping uppers from g45/g19Mos /19x has anyone noticed a zero shift?

Do y’all swap out locking blocks as well or is that going overboard? Just curious
    I have not noticed a shift, but I have never done formal shoot, swap, shoot and compare experiments.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Had a G19 with RDS.
    Switched to a G26 with RDS and never looked back. Over five years now.

As noted, the RDS single focus negates the length of slide advantage in sighting. I chose “carry nearly anytime” utility as a higher value than the many other attributes.

The only articulable downside is the G26 seems to fling more junk - oil, embers, powder - than the G19. I can only speculate the why, but it is a consistent observation. Your calculus may be different.

Ive been thinking about his a fair bit myself of late. I’ve been planning on picking up a Glock MOS model to shoot in limited or production for now with an eye towards adding an RDS at some point in the future. My original plan was to get a 34 as I think it’s the “best” Glock model for competition with irons, but I’ve been so deserving a G17 as a compromise between the two.

Of course what I *should* do first is stop shooting PCC and just go shoot with one of my current iron-sight G19s and see if I even think the gun change will help me at all, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

Maybe when it cools off a little more I’ll shoot a morning with my pistol and an afternoon with the PCC.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    People that I trust that have used the platform extensively seem to agree that shorter slides are the way to go, all else being equal. I went with a 17 and wish I would have gone with the 19.

Reason seems to be easier dot tracking. I have not tried a -17 and a -19 side by side, and cannot comment first hand. Yet.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    People that I trust that have used the platform extensively seem to agree that shorter slides are the way to go, all else being equal. I went with a 17 and wish I would have gone with the 19.

Reason seems to be easier dot tracking. I have not tried a -17 and a -19 side by side, and cannot comment first hand. Yet.

pat
    I suspect that if I wind up liking the dot, at least for competition, the Glock 45 MOS is where I’ll land...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Nothing wrong with that. The good thing is that there's not a bad decision to be made between the models you're considering/that have been mentioned in the thread. While from a pure sighting perspective with a RDS a longer-slided G17, etc. don't provide any advantage, there's certainly not a huge disadvantage in going with them if that's your preference when you've factored in all of your criteria and preferences.

Best, Jon

User Tag List