Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The breechface groove in Gen5 Glocks

IMO, the current Gen 5’s are well worth the upgrade over the previous generations if you have the means to do so for many reasons listed above (trigger, ejection/extraction, consistency of precision, ergonomics)

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Or better yet, Why doesn’t Glock offer this as a retrofit for Gen 3,4,pistols?
    The recent batch of G43s I received have the cut as well as the recessed crown. I know the Vickers G43s had the cut, never checked the crown on them though.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post
    Admittedly, I've only put a few thousand rounds through a G23/22 vs the thousands (10s of thousands maybe?) I've put through the G4 9mm family with just the normal primary malfunctions (FTE) related to an old magazine or the random bad round. My Gen4 Glocks are so reliable I even shoot them in short sleeves. I've seen many more issues and exaggerated extraction/ejection with my P320s than with my Glocks.

In all seriousness, I'm not debating that people have these issues with Glocks, but I can't rectify my personal experiences with those of others. This leads me to ask how I could have such good luck with Gen4s across multiple years, states, and vendors.

That being said, if carrying a Gen5 gives you peace of mind... why not get one?
    I've been getting slammed for saying the same thing for years. Probably well over 65% of the 300 or so officers we saw each year were carrying Glocks. Until I read it on the internet I didn't know that Glock BTF was a thing except for the occasional problem shooter. We generally corrected those problems by working with their grip. I'm not saying a Glock doesn't eject one into the forehead or face on occasion, just that I've never seen it as a Glock specific problem.

In mulling this over, I've considered that perhaps it was because during the Gen 1, 2, and 3 days we were shooting 147gr equivalent of the Federal HydraShok round, but a year or so before I retired we switch to 124gr and that didn't seem to cause the BTF problems.

I'm wondering if there is any relationship to cadence/rate of fire?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I've been getting slammed for saying the same thing for years. Probably well over 65% of the 300 or so officers we saw each year were carrying Glocks. Until I read it on the internet I didn't know that Glock BTF was a thing except for the occasional problem shooter. We generally corrected those problems by working with their grip. I'm not saying a Glock doesn't eject one into the forehead or face on occasion, just that I've never seen it as a Glock specific problem.

In mulling this over, I've considered that perhaps it was because during the Gen 1, 2, and 3 days we were shooting 147gr equivalent of the Federal HydraShok round, but a year or so before I retired we switch to 124gr and that didn't seem to cause the BTF problems.

I'm wondering if there is any relationship to cadence/rate of fire?
    Glock ejection was always marginal but BTF did not really become a thing until the late gen 3/early Gen4 guns. It generally corresponded to the switch to the LCI or "dip" extractors and a corresponding change in small parts suppliers.

Changes to the ejector (336 to 30274) and improved QC on the LCI extractors generally addressed it but Glock ejection was never great (until the latest gen5) so it became "lore."

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    Glocks are commodity guns. You are way over thinking things. Does it improve it? yes. Do the Gen 4 guns work without it? Yes. Just buy a Gen 5 if you want to.
    This. My work gun is a Gen 5 Glock 19. My home defense gun is a Gen 4 Glock 17. I have no intention of replacing the Gen 4 in the home defense role even though I also have a Gen 5 17 MOS. It works just fine.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    The recent batch of G43s I received have the cut as well as the recessed crown. I know the Vickers G43s had the cut, never checked the crown on them though.
    Same on my latest G43X Serial number starts with BPHR.

If anyone else can't remember what the cut look like (I couldn't), there's a decent picture of the breech face cut buried in the yuge Glock Gen 5 thread, dated October 2018:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post805188
    Last edited by RJ; 09-27-2020 at 06:41 AM.

Site Supporter

The breechface groove in Gen5 Glocks

Interesting that such a small change has such an impact on performance. Any information on why? Does it cam the case back a bit so the ejector can fling the case further?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been carrying and shooting nothing but Glocks for over 10 years and never had the ejection issue. I would love to have one to play with to see what I could do to solve the problem so if anyone has a 9mm you want to sell cheap, PM me, I'll be happy to take it off your hands.

NRA Life Member / Basic Pistol instructor / RSO…Glock/ M&P Certified armorer

"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard"
    Unnamed Navy Seal

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Interesting that such a small change has such an impact on performance. Any information on why? Does it cam the case back a bit so the ejector can fling the case further?
    What I was going to ask, what does it DO? On the ejector side, so the instant the case touches the ejector, it is going to be moving off of the groove, pivoting under the extractor.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List