Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The breechface groove in Gen5 Glocks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Interesting that such a small change has such an impact on performance. Any information on why? Does it cam the case back a bit so the ejector can fling the case further?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The cut makes it more likely than not that the extractor will hold on to the empty, during the entire rearward travel of the slide, until the empty is acted upon by the ejector. Before the cut, the extractor tended to let go of the case early. This sometimes meant that the top round in the magazine became the "ejector by default" and flight path of the empty case was erratic. The important part of this isn't neat little brass piles. The important part is that now the gun is now more likely to consistently complete the "extract-eject-feed-chamber-lock" portion of its operation cycle correctly.

Recent G19 Gen3s do not have the cut, but now have the etched slide and barrel marking (ala Gen5) versus the stamped style.

Recent G19Xs do not have the cut
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Same on my latest G43X Serial number starts with BPHR.
    All G43Xs should have the cut
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    All G43Xs should have the cut
    All Glocks should have the cut but all do not.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    All Glocks should have the cut but all do not.
    Including the new Gen1 retro pistols. If they were going to ditch the 90 degree extractor they should have done the job right and added the breech face cut.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Including the new Gen1 retro pistols. If they were going to ditch the 90 degree extractor they should have done the job right and added the breech face cut.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    But would it really be a retro Glock without BTF?

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    But would it really be a retro Glock without BTF?
    I have owned many but never had one of those.

ok,... glad I read this thread.

I was seeing this a LOT with the Hellcat, and I definitely got a few BTF's (see,..! Learning vocabulary!!) ...Along with shoulder, hat, forearm etc. with my NEW Glock 19 Gen5 yesterday!

Since the consensus seems to be this issue /w the weapon has been fixed in the Gen5's? As a new shooter, without any formal training, I can probably safely assume it's "Me that sucks & NOT the gun, right?" LoL

So if I want to diagnose and subsequently fix this,.. what part of my grip or technique would be the cause for this type behavior from the spent brass? I'm ?reasonably? sure I'm not "limp wristing". But without video confirmation or reliable, professional observation? I can't be 100% certain.

If someone could outline a short technique/form fix for this,.. I'll see if I can bring that into play next time I'm @ the range! Thnx!!!

_edit_
    BTW,... before I get pounced on,... Now that I have a reliable weapon, I DO plan to get some training and sign up for a few classes. (...Just need the CC to cool from "White hot," to cherry red first tho!) haha!
    Last edited by Chomps; 10-03-2020 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomps View Post

Since the consensus seems to be this issue /w the weapon has been fixed in the Gen5's? As a new shooter, without any formal training, I can probably safely assume it's "Me that sucks & NOT the gun, right?" LoL

So if I want to diagnose and subsequently fix this,.. what part of my grip or technique would be the cause for this type behavior from the spent brass? I'm ?reasonably? sure I'm not "limp wristing". But without video confirmation or reliable, professional observation? I can't be 100% certain.
    Yes, I would say a Gen 5 should eject strongly. Of course all things are possible. There's an updated ejector fitted to the new pattern Trigger Mechanism Housing which I put in my early production 2017 G19 Gen 5 in December 2018. I still get BTF occasionally, but I would not say it's causing me any heartburn, since I'm generally trying to get through a stage as fast a possible and consequently I'm in headless chicken mode when shooting. Here's the part number of the TMH and ejector I installed in mine: Trigger Mechanism Housing with Ejector 47208 (with the 47021 Ejector). I don't know if there is a later ejector; @HCM might off the top of his head.

As to your specific case, it's tough to say without looking at you shooting your G19, and the ejection pattern. With a newish Gen 5 purchase, ejection "should" be strong and to the right, I would have thought. Have you looked specifically at a group of fired rounds and where they go? Looking at the groups you posted in your other thread, it seems hard to believe you are limp-wristing the pistol. They are generally nice and centered. The only thing I can suggest is to "grip hard".

One last thought, check the underside of the extractor claw to make sure there's no gunk under there; the claw grips the case rear and pulls it out of the chamber towards the ejector. It's easy enough to shine a flashlight on it after a basic field strip. Pretty unlikely with a new gun but you never know.

Ah, one more thing: The extractor should be being pressed inward by the Extractor Depressor Plunger; I guess it's possible that there's a fault with the EDP spring, meaning it's not pressing in hard enough on the extractor claw. You'd need to slip off the rear slide cover and slide it out to check the EDP; but if you aren't comfortable doing that, maybe get an armourer to help (I'm not one). But that seems kinda unlikely; just spit balling here.

FWIW, here's a decent video on how the parts of a Glock work:

Quote Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
    ok,... glad I read this thread.

I was seeing this a LOT with the Hellcat, and I definitely got a few BTF's (see,..! Learning vocabulary!!) ...Along with shoulder, hat, forearm etc. with my NEW Glock 19 Gen5 yesterday!

If someone could outline a short technique/form fix for this,.. I'll see if I can bring that into play next time I'm @ the range! Thnx!!!

_edit_
    BTW,... before I get pounced on,... Now that I have a reliable weapon, I DO plan to get some training and sign up for a few classes. (...Just need the CC to cool from "White hot," to cherry red first tho!) haha!
    Question - the 19 Gen5 has gone through a few changes. Is there a cutout in the bottom of the front of the grip right above the magwell? Does it have forward serrations on the sides of the slide? I’m not sure if there are any part changes from the early to current 19.5s, but knowing what you have might help. (Edit - I see RJ already covered the parts question above.)

Also, weaker range ammunition might eject a little erratically - that’s my experience.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List