Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Early 70s Colt Commander questions

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Now that we're talking about grips to support the safety Id like to find a pair.

Ive never noticed a set of grips saying they support the safety.

What to look for? Any grips usually work or do they normally need to be custom ordered?
    Mine have all been custom made for the pistol, so the grips support the safety when it is off while allowing full downward travel. Too many variables for a stock set of grips. The best possible would be oversize grips and trim/sand/finish to that pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    This is the last of three Commanders I carried as off duty weapons and plain clothes duty guns.

Attachment 61042

The first one just had a Micro fixed rear with a silver soldered front that I had to replace several times. I also stuck a releived Government grip safety on it to stop hammer bite. Second one had K-38 rear sight with a soldered and staked front. The pictured gun was that last one and I carried and shot it for 6 or 7 years.

All of them eventually cracked their aluminum frames because I believed in shooting what you carry. The one pictured is cracked in three places. I shot it in Steel combat matches and IDPA events. The cracks are bad enough I never felt comfortable selling it.

Dave
    Thats a nice looking commander. What loads were you shooting?

Im going to fit my lw champion with a squared fps today. I was shooting 200gr swc over 7gr unique l loaded up but think i need to drop it down to 6.5 or 6 for daily shooting so I dont do the same thing.

Site Supporter
    03RN,

For years my practice and competition load was a 200g H&G #68 over 6g of 231. That gave me about 900 fps in a 5" Government Model. JMB's original concept and specifications for the 45 ACP cartridge was a 200g bullet @ 900 fps. I always figured if he thought it was a good idea, who am I to argue. (smile)

That Commander and the 1958 GM I had for a "match" gun at the time ate thousands and thousands of that load over 20 years or so.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Here's the S&W sight. Mr. Swenson added the "filler" for the original dovetail, and the "shear pin" just behind the hex-head screw on the sight. He also added the (barely visible) barrel tensioner. He adds the owner's initial to the pin and tensioner.

Attachment 61015.
    I know he was a pioneer in a lot of stuff we consider standard on a nice production gun and essential to customization, but that serrated dovetail filler is just plain ugly.

I have a S&W sight in the "protected position" which largely means the gunsmith did not have to fill in the dovetail at all.
    I have a gunsmith installed Accro sight with the dovetail welded up. It does have a tiny pinhole in the weld line, though.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    That rear sight gives me an idea. I’ve got a Clements pre-war S&W sight I picked up for a planned Vaquero project I’m not as keen on right now. I wonder....
    Please don't do this to your Commander project. Swenson and the like did these things out of necessity. But they have gone by the wayside, because better options now exist. The Bomar still provides the cleanest sight picture and is attractive when installed, if you're looking for adjustables.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Please don't do this to your Commander project. Swenson and the like did these things out of necessity. But they have gone by the wayside, because better options now exist. The Bomar still provides the cleanest sight picture and is attractive when installed, if you're looking for adjustables.
    Very much true. There weren't a lot of mail-order 1911 parts a half century ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Now that we're talking about grips to support the safety Id like to find a pair.

Ive never noticed a set of grips saying they support the safety.

What to look for? Any grips usually work or do they normally need to be custom ordered?
    VZ 320 covered

10-8 Signatures covered

el cheapos...not really

can't recall this one but he bought Monkey Grips

magpuls - NOPE
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    VZ 320 covered

10-8 Signatures covered

el cheapos...not really

can't recall this one but he bought Monkey Grips

magpuls - NOPE
    Not the plunger tube, the starboard safety

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Please don't do this to your Commander project. Swenson and the like did these things out of necessity. But they have gone by the wayside, because better options now exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Very much true. There weren't a lot of mail-order 1911 parts a half century ago.
    Yeah, it was more of a spur of the moment “what if” thought since the squared trigger guard is already a nod to the old school style. Maybe I’ll go with one of those Aristocrat 3 setting PPC sights instead...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Yeah, it was more of a spur of the moment “what if” thought since the squared trigger guard is already a nod to the old school style. Maybe I’ll go with one of those Aristocrat 3 setting PPC sights instead...
    tJ leaves the chat

User Tag List