Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Early 70s Colt Commander questions

double
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Not the plunger tube, the starboard safety
    my bad,

only my old Larry Davidsons Shredders go up high on the ejection side. LD cut a notch but I am not sure if its fitted or makes contact to act as a stop. I would have to dig them out.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 09-30-2020 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Maybe I’ll go with one of those Aristocrat 3 setting PPC sights instead...

SACS Nowlin barrel Nina

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post

SACS Nowlin barrel Nina
    But is it a Commander?

There's a part of me that wants to pick up an old Bullseye or PPC gun instead of the 9/38 Combo Commander and those sights are much more appealing to me than the full on rib set ups.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

no commander at the present time. Its on order.

I stopped shooting PPC in 2014, removed the tri rear and ordered a Aristocrat non tri rear sight to use in area matches.

this one shoots good, better than my current eyes. I have switched to my David Sams Custom Colt .45 and sadly this Nina has been sleeping for quite some time.

call me dumb.... I got way too much $$$$ in this one.

Before and after.

Name:  Copy of lwc before 005.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  67.2 KBName:  curiosity busy.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  75.2 KB

'68 lwc, purchased used with the goofy MMC sights. MARS custom: Kart barrel, custom thumb safety, countoured grip safety, stippled MSH and front strap, a bit of good trigger work, and maybe most importantly Harrison hardball rear sight with a serrated ramp tritium front, no dot.

It's literally the coolest pistol I've ever seen.

Site Supporter
    JAD,

...custom thumb safety, countoured grip safety...
    The thumb safety and grip safety in your last picture look stock to my eyes. What am I missing?

Dave

[Wheels of Justification]It's really dumb to sort of want a .40 1911, isn't it? Especially when I don't compete but I already have a couple of other .40s and I (try to) have ammo on hand...[/Wheels of Justification]

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

What’s the general consensus on the S&W Scandium 1911s? Are they basically a Lightweight Commander? Was it scandium or titanium that S&W had issues with certain cleaners?

The more I think about it, we should have a general 1911 thread to avoid hijacking the Art and Science technical thread for non-technical questions (guilty as charged). Maybe one of our #shitmods can rename this thread The Big Happy General Purpose 1911 thread or some such?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    What’s the general consensus on the S&W Scandium 1911s? Are they basically a Lightweight Commander? Was it scandium or titanium that S&W had issues with certain cleaners?
    S&W has made both Commander and Government size guns with lightweight frames made of aluminum alloy containing a small amount of Scandium for strength. I've owned one of each and they were good guns.

The Scandium models they currently offer are both Commander size guns. One is the E-Series round butt model, the other is the Performance Center round butt model.

I've heard of certain solvents causing the clear coating on Scandium revolvers to flake off, but I don't know if the Scandium frame 1911s have the same issue. I never had any problems of that kind with the two Scandium framed guns I owned.

User Tag List