Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Impressions of the XDE-45 3.3?

Thanks Guys. I'm looking forward to getting it to the range. This one will have one primary purpose for me, and from what I've read and seen I believe it will fill that bill just fine.
    I'm a bit mystified why a gun that has been three years in the wild seems to have had comparatively little said about it. Nearly all I've seen and read has been positive but there isn't a lot to be found.
    While hammer fired guns seem to be making a bit of a comeback with some it seems that striker fired are still in the majority, especially with concealed carry users. That could have something to do with it. And as mentioned 9mm is popular, not only here apparently but in a lot of places, fueled by the new wonderguns that are small in size and big in capacity. I've always been partial to hammer fired guns though and they continue to be my first choice.

Site Supporter
    A friend of mine has the striker-fired version of the same gun, an XD-S 3.3 Mod 2 45ACP is the model, I believe.

He doesn't shoot it much, and having shot it myself, I understand why. The high bore axis and small size with the 5rnd magazine makes it similarly unpleasant to shoot as a Glock 27, only with less 'real estate' on the grip.
    He's put less than 150 rounds through it, I think I put 25 rounds through it. My HK45C is vastly easier to shoot accurately, especially at speed, and it conceals just as well with a good holster.

I suspect that a lot of other folks find these small 45 ACP XD's similarly miserable to shoot, hence the lack of high round count or in-depth reports. All of the folks I know that gravitate towards XD's buy them to 'check the block' and chose the XD because of its low price and a lack of interest in shooting in much, if at all. My friend is a CHL holder but he's not a shooting enthusiast per se, and nor are any of the other folks I know that bought an XD of any variant.

That said, if Ernst Langdon gave the 9mm version of this gun a thumbs-up, that says a hell of a lot IMHO.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by all42a View Post
    Thanks Guys. I'm looking forward to getting it to the range. This one will have one primary purpose for me, and from what I've read and seen I believe it will fill that bill just fine.
    I'm a bit mystified why a gun that has been three years in the wild seems to have had comparatively little said about it. Nearly all I've seen and read has been positive but there isn't a lot to be found.
    While hammer fired guns seem to be making a bit of a comeback with some it seems that striker fired are still in the majority, especially with concealed carry users. That could have something to do with it. And as mentioned 9mm is popular, not only here apparently but in a lot of places, fueled by the new wonderguns that are small in size and big in capacity. I've always been partial to hammer fired guns though and they continue to be my first choice.

While I did not like the style of the initial response to your post, there is an element of truth to it. The XD is not a gun that is generally shot a lot by people who buy them. There are exceptions of course, but in general it is a buy and shoot little gun. The 9mm version is going to be substantially more popular than the .45 version for a variety of reasons. Including capacity, ease of shooting, and and the price of ammo.

I too prefer a hammer fired gun, but people like us are in the minority. My weirdness extends to the point I actually like the combo decocker/safety.

It is my sincere hope that your .45 "small gun" works, and I look forward to hearing about your results with it.

-They aren't selling in any number.
    -They aren't selling to people who shoot them, which means the owners aren't on shooting forums.

My small .45 phase started and ended with Officer's Models in the last century and slightly beyond. With current 9/40/45 JHP being equals, most people take the more bullets option.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I agree TheNewbie. But as our staff member said, "snark and attitude usually diminishes the persuasiveness of one's argument". I'll add to that, it doesn't exactly make the recipient of it eager to hear it. Or willing to overlook it. My apologies if I crossed a line.

My intended use of this particular gun matches your description of most peoples', I do not intend to shoot it a lot. I have other guns I use for range fun/work. Once I've learned that a PD or HD gun is reliable I shoot them little so long as I have others that are similar or exactly the same in manual of operation and trigger. So I'm not concerned with torture tests of any kind on this one, including how many thousands of rounds someone's managed to squeeze out of one. But it's still nice to know positive and negative experiences, so long as we don't bet the farm on either when it comes to evaluating or completely trusting our own example.
    I've never been sensitive to felt recoil but I'm not totally immune to it either. I've owned a G26 and G27, having bought the 26 to use on the range to stay familiar with its feel while carrying the 27. Same with a Beretta 92 and 96, a PX4 9mm and Cougar .40, and commander sized 1911s and 9mm micros.
    A plus for me with the XDE over the XDS in .45 was the longer grip, making it possible for a full grip with my medium to large mitt even with the 6rd mag. I have and have had my share of ultra concealable large caliber compacts and subcompacts and as you said with a good holster it's about as easy to conceal and carry a larger gun comfortably, so these days I opt for a full grip vs two fingers with the pinky curling under. Whether the 3.3 will beat my hand to death or not remains to be seen but I have a feeling it will feel better than some of the small .40s I've owned. And while I like having a larger gun with a higher capacity with me there are times when a smaller gun fits my clothing in the heat when a larger gun does not so much.

I'd say I've encountered my first dick on this forum. Or at least someone who thinks he knows what is the "right gun" for everyone that shoots, has obviously shot every gun out there worth shooting, and can speak from a vast amount of experience. Congrats, you win the prize for dickhead of the day. Reply tomorrow and you can make it two days in a row.

I don't need your validation, or anyone else's. Not the reason I asked. I've been carrying for nearly 40 years, shooting longer than that, and know what to look for in order to validate my choices myself. Nonetheless others' experiences are always welcome. Call me curious. You have experience with this gun do you, friend?
    I had one for review but it wouldn’t reliably function through a box of ammo so I yeeted it into the sun. Like I said, the only XD-E worth a shit is the 9mm from Langdon.

But anyway you’re sensitive and I don’t want to hurt your feelings but your gun sucks and your “40 years of carrying” is meaningless.

Not sensitive. Just don't care for trolls. And you are a troll. Carry on.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I had one for review but it wouldn’t reliably function through a box of ammo so I yeeted it into the sun. Like I said, the only XD-E worth a shit is the 9mm from Langdon.

But anyway you’re sensitive and I don’t want to hurt your feelings but your gun sucks and your “40 years of carrying” is meaningless.
    Why are treating him as if he's a POS? He asked a legitimate question and should get a legitimate answer. WTF man. And his 40 years of carrying may be meaningless to you but not to me. I appreciate his input.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Why are treating him as if he's a POS? He asked a legitimate question and should get a legitimate answer. WTF man. And his 40 years of carrying may be meaningless to you but not to me. I appreciate his input.
    /sigh

Because he didn’t come here asking for advice. He came here asking for fucking validation on a purchase he had already made. If his post had been “hey I’m thinking about buying this”
    I would have tried to gently dissuade him from making a stupid purchase. But it wasn’t, it was “I bought this please validate me!”

And then of course because he’s a sensitive-ass boomer he’s all “ur a troll” when in fact I am far from that. I just choose to not sugar coat my feedback when someone makes a stupid purchase and then comes begging for affirmation from internet strangers. “Oh I just bought this what do you think” is literally cancer to a forum, because instead of promoting debate and conversation, it begs for acceptance and an echo chamber.

Also, “I’ve been carrying for 40 years” usually means “I have one year of experience I’ve repeated 40 times”

Not sensitive. Just don't care for trolls. And you are a troll. Carry on.
    I’m sorry that my actual experience is contrary to your fucking feelings.

User Tag List