Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Impressions of the XDE-45 3.3?

Picked up the XDE yesterday. I like the way it feels, and the trigger should be acceptable. Won't know anything else for sure until I get it to the range, but it seems to be well put together and I think it will serve the purpose I have in store for it. It's not a 1911 and won't take their place for me, but I think it could be fun to plink with occasionally after I've used it enough to get accustomed to it, and determined if it's a keeper that will meet my needs of it.

I do know that out of the box I have felt worse triggers. And better ones as well. It does have the reported stacking without creep in DA, and the SA does not have the cleanest of breaks but it too is without creep. Then, even truly bad triggers can be mitigated somewhat with use and familiarization. And this one is not truly bad in either mode.

Thanks to everyone that provided feedback, I will report back after I get it to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by all42a View Post
    Picked up the XDE yesterday. I like the way it feels, and the trigger should be acceptable. Won't know anything else for sure until I get it to the range, but it seems to be well put together and I think it will serve the purpose I have in store for it. It's not a 1911 and won't take their place for me, but I think it could be fun to plink with occasionally after I've used it enough to get accustomed to it, and determined if it's a keeper that will meet my needs of it.

I do know that out of the box I have felt worse triggers. And better ones as well. It does have the reported stacking without creep in DA, and the SA does not have the cleanest of breaks but it too is without creep. Then, even truly bad triggers can be mitigated somewhat with use and familiarization. And this one is not truly bad in either mode.

Thanks to everyone that provided feedback, I will report back after I get it to the range.
    As it was stated early on that there is very little about the XDe 45, we look forward to hearing from you and your experience filling that gap.

Student
    Were you intending to use this for concealed carry at all, or will it be for plinking only?
    If you do intend to carry, how do you plan on carrying it?

My hope is to carry it, cocked and locked, in the waistband under certain conditions regarding weather, clothing, location, and activity.

Student
    What holster and belt were you thinking for it?

I have 1/4" x 1.5" double stitched solid leather belts that I wear, always.
    I was pleasantly surprised to find that my JM4Tactical High Ride quick click holster fits the XDE very well, for iwb. And that the custom MTR holster that I had made for my P2000SK with a rail master fits the XDE with no laser. I have another MTR that I had made for my P2000 with laser that also fits the P30S that I recently picked up, with laser. When I traded off the P2kSk and the P2K I thought the holsters would be write-offs but was pleased that I ended up with two guns that fit them well. While I have guns better suited than the XDE for belt carry in the colder months I do like having options.

Site Supporter
    I was pleasantly surprised to find that my JM4Tactical High Ride quick click holster fits the XDE very well, for iwb. And that the custom MTR holster that I had made for my P2000SK with a rail master fits the XDE with no laser. I have another MTR that I had made for my P2000 with laser that also fits the P30S that I recently picked up, with laser. When I traded off the P2kSk and the P2K I thought the holsters would be write-offs but was pleased that I ended up with two guns that fit them well. While I have guns better suited than the XDE for belt carry in the colder months I do like having options.
    You didn't ask and I know how well unsolicited advice is received, but I'm in one of those moods where I want to share information despite knowing better.

A collapsible holster that doesn't allow proper one-handed re-holstering that is meant to fit many different models of firearms and attaches with a magnetic clip is sub-optimal.

Here are articles going into why:

You Need a Better Holster

Features to avoid when buying an IWB Holster
    Last edited by SiriusBlunder; 09-27-2020 at 02:59 PM.

I have bags of holsters that I've collected over the years. I've tried most every type I've ever seen with a few exceptions.
    I know the JM4 holsters are not the best but until and unless I buy one that is form fitted for the XDE it's what I'll use. They're also far from the worst.
    I do not know yet if I will keep this gun long term. If I do I may get a better holster but even if not I'll feel comfortable carrying in it. Don't mean to sound flippant but I'm not new to this. In 39 years of carrying concealed I've never had to even show my gun. I hope I never do. On the off chance that I do, re-holstering my gun will be the least of my worries, especially since I practice re-holstering with all of my carry guns and holsters. But to that point, it is probably the primary reason why I don't own any striker-fired guns because most do not have a manual safety. And there is no hammer to thumb during re-holstering. I recently bought an M18 but sold it after reading and watching many posts and videos, some of which were on this very board, about its inherents (old and potentially continuing), problems. I bought it because it had a manual safety but I still did not trust it enough to hang onto it. I do have some Kahrs with their long DA trigger pull, but no longer carry them, with the exception for my P380 in it's kydex pocket holster because it's a no excuses option when no other gun is practical. But anyway, thanks for the advice

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMWINCLE View Post
    You didn't ask and I know how well unsolicited advice is received, but I'm in one of those moods where I want to share information despite knowing better.

A collapsible holster that doesn't allow proper one-handed re-holstering that is meant to fit many different models of firearms and attaches with a magnetic clip is sub-optimal.

Here are articles going into why:

You Need a Better Holster

Features to avoid when buying an IWB Holster
    If the OP likes JM4 tactical, their Relic line holsters would be a much better and safe choice.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Don't mean to sound flippant but I'm not new to this. In 39 years of carrying concealed I've never had to even show my gun. I hope I never do. On the off chance that I do, re-holstering my gun will be the least of my worries, especially since I practice re-holstering with all of my carry guns and holsters.
    I think you'll find that literally nobody here is impressed by how long you've done something without being tested or proven. I learned to swim before Micheal Phelps. What's that prove? I think you can take a stab at which of us has a cabinet full of Olympic medals and which one of us moves like an arthritic dog who fell in a pond. Would you like to hear any number of stories of guys who've "been carrying all my life" who shot themselves when they got stressed or distracted? I've worked plenty of them. None of us are zero defect and equipment selection can't overcome that but does help mitigate it. A collapsible holster is less safe to holster with and guarantees you'll flag yourself. That's less safe. It doesn't mean you'll hurt yourself. It means you're more likely to hurt yourself. I'm with you on the hammer, or the substitute of an SCD (aka "gadget") on a Glock that accomplishes the same. I won't carry appendix without one. Others do and haven't shot their dicks off yet, but some do and have. I think we get caught in the safe/not safe without thinking of it as a continuum. Same thing here. Maybe it's not unsafe, but it's tough to argue how it's not less safe to fish a loaded gun into a collapsible holster.

It's rare but not impossible to need to holster with some speed. Typically when a situation goes from a lethal force situation to a non-lethal force situation but not a resolved situation. Rare in LE and even more rare on the civilian side for sure, but rare isn't never.

I think the fact there's very little information on a gun that's been out that long and not much in the way of support is actually pretty telling on it's suitability for a serious carry gun. As a talisman or range toy, sure, most anything is fine for that. But you don't really need any input for that sort of thing.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List