Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Impressions of the XDE-45 3.3?

Site Supporter
    So... the Xd / hs2000 is used by at least one military: Croatia. And from what I can find, looks like they’re issued to a few other militaries as well (Malaysia, Dominican Republic, others).

Obviously you know where I’m going with this: if they’re shitty guns, why are armies using them?

Maybe other countries don’t hold their small arms to the same standards of durability the US and Western Europe do? That indeed could be the case, I suppose. But you’d think the Croats would know a thing or two about building decent weapons after surviving 10 years of death squads and revolutions.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    So... the Xd / hs2000 is used by at least one military: Croatia. And from what I can find, looks like they’re issued to a few other militaries as well (Malaysia, Dominican Republic, others).

Obviously you know where I’m going with this: if they’re shitty guns, why are armies using them?
    *third world armies

Bribery. Cheap.

How good a pistol do you need if you only use it to put bullets in the back of someone's head as they kneel at the edge of a ditch ?

Site Supporter
    delete
    Last edited by MattyD380; 09-29-2020 at 01:02 AM.

Site Supporter
    Delete

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post

Maybe other countries don’t hold their small arms to the same standards of durability the US and Western Europe do? That indeed could be the case, I suppose. But you’d think the Croats would know a thing or two about building decent weapons after surviving 10 years of death squads and revolutions.
    First off, for most militaries (ours included) the handgun is a rarely used secondary weapon. Further, I couldn't care less if the Grand Army of Fuckistan uses the XD, because that isn't an army that's out there routinely shooting people. A far better metric is looking at the handguns selected by elite special operations units, military police forces where it's a primary, and high profile LE agencies. None of those use the XD, and we call that An Clue

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    *third world armies

Bribery. Cheap.

How good a pistol do you need if you only use it to put bullets in the back of someone's head as they kneel at the edge of a ditch ?
    That is precisely how most of those militaries use handguns, too.

By which standard, we should all be carrying Makarovs, Tokarevs, Helwans, Tariqs, and perhaps the occasional Luger, with a Nagant revolver for the hipsters.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    That is precisely how most of those militaries use handguns, too.

By which standard, we should all be carrying Makarovs, Tokarevs, Helwans, Tariqs, and perhaps the occasional Luger, with a Nagant revolver for the hipsters.
    I used to have a joke about 9x18 Mak when people asked me about it: "It has 100% one-shot stop rate when applied to the back of a dissident's skull"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I used to have a joke about 9x18 Mak when people asked me about it: "It has 100% one-shot stop rate when applied to the back of a dissident's skull"
    10 out of 10 Commissars choose Makarov!

I sold guns for a few years.

I sold a lot of XDs used. I sold a lot more Glocks and M&Ps new, and quite often, part of that purchase price... was an XD. We also had dozens of rental pistols on our range, including XDs.

Some people loved them. Some people also loved the Ruger P-series, SR-series, and E-series guns. Some people loved the SD-series S&Ws, and some people love Sigmas.

Some people think Barefoot and Rex Goliath wine tastes good. Some people are happy with cheap shoes, pillows, and toilet paper. Some people actually like Mossberg bolt action rifles.

If it functions, has decent holster options, doesn’t suck to shoot, and has spare parts/mags on the market... then it’s an option. Having pretty high volume experience with XDs, I’m comfortable saying the Croatian guns had durability issues, mediocre magazines, and limited aftermarket support, but they were better than many options $50-100 bucks downmarket.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

I've got a Langdon 9mm XDE. I have put 750 rounds through it before putting it into my carry rotation. No malfunctions not caused by user error. I feel confident in the reliability of this pistol.

It's ugly, but my main criteria were DA/SA and single-stack for IWB concealed carry. It easily and simply disappears when I carry it during warm weather.

I have never used a stock XDE so I cannot compare.

It's not particularly "fun" to shoot, but during the warmer months, it's either the XDE or an LCR every time I go out, so I spend much more time (but fewer rounds) with this gun than any of my range favorites.

As the weather gets colder, my rotation will switch to a 92 Compact (Langdon) and a PX4 Compact Carry (not Langdon). I shoot these guns much more accurately but their larger size requires me to carry them OWB and I need to wear more outerwear to keep everything properly concealed.

I would recommend the Langdon XDE.

User Tag List