Thread: Benelli Lupo

Benelli Lupo

Let me start by saying this is a terrific rifle; so good that I’m going to say it’s a great value at $1499. This one is a .30-06, 7 lbs, 22” threaded barrel, great ergos. Benelli has brought their shotgun-engineering experience to this rifle. Adjustments can be made to drop, cast and trigger reach with included shims; LOP and comb height can be changed with optional accessories. There is a shotgun-inspired recoil reducer in the buttstock, and, after 35 rounds off the bench today, I can say it is really effective. The trigger is easily user-adjustable. Mine weighs 2.5 lbs, no take-up, no creep. The bolt is scalloped, allowing for 5 down rounds in the DBM, which loads easily, feeds reliably, is easy to get in and out of the gun, and you can easily top it up through the ejection port. Even with all the available adjustment, I found it good to go right out of the box. LOP is 13.8”, balance is good, throwing the bolt is slick and super fast. It’s a 3-lug bolt with 60° lift, so not only quick but room for big ocular housings. Bolt knob is kind of a smooth flattened football shape and works great. The action bolts into an alloy chassis, barrel is free-floated. Benelli touts their “Crio” barrel-making process, and this one does shoot. Best group today was .46” at 100; Barnes 180 gr TTSX. Only minor gripe is the safety; a tang safety, a little stiff, not my favorite.

Name:  102252CD-E6ED-4151-A56A-09CD90C28056.jpg
Views: 2469
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  2F05FFF8-E397-4824-9509-6061F04B27AD.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  29.3 KB

Name:  61D5DD11-FDE8-402D-8DBC-D9AC3B9FA39A.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  46.0 KB

I was impressed enough by Steve’s report by telephone, that I ordered one today.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

These sure do look nice; comfortable and ergonomic, too. I have seen them on the rack at Collectors Firearms, in Houston, Texas. If there were a version with bold, fixed sights, I might be ready to buy, but well, no. I can use a right-hand turn-bolt rifle if it has good, bold, fixed sights, with the rear sight well out on the barrel. (I reckon that my left-eye-dominance is not “total.”) Of course, a left-hand Lupo just might happen, someday, as Benelli makes lefty shotguns. Time will tell.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List