Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Road to Perdition

I am probably dating myself, but one of the best movies in this theme is The Cowboys, 1972, with John Wayne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cowboys

Excellent flick. Well worth watching with the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    I meant the book series. But yeah, the show was only so-so.
    Yeah, I understood that. Just my only exposure was via the cancelled series. Thank for the info...I may check 'em out sometime.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I am probably dating myself...
    Well just remember, no sex until the third date.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    S
    Come to find out the movie is based on a graphic novel, and that graphic novel is based on a Japanese Manga series "Lone Wolf and Cub"
    as a childhood comics nerd, Lone Wolf & Cub was one of my all time favorites.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_W...ected_editions

Never knew this was why it went away. I probably started about the 1987 timeframe (I would have been 12/13) and probably kept up with it until it went away in 1991 even though I was otherwise pretty much out of comics by then.
    Lone Wolf and Cub was initially released in North America in a translated English edition by First Comics in 1987, as a series of monthly, comic-book-sized, square-bound black-and-white comics containing between 64 and 128 pages, featuring covers by Frank Miller, and later by Bill Sienkiewicz, Matt Wagner, Mike Ploog, and Ray Lago. Sales were initially strong, but fell sharply as the company went into a general decline. First Comics shut down in 1991 without completing the series, publishing less than a third of the total series over 45 issues.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Well just remember, no sex until the third date.
    Prude

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    He also wrote the Quarry series, which I really enjoyed.
    Collins' best work is definitely Road to Perdition, but if you liked Quarry, try Donald Westlake's (aka Richard Stark) Parker series.

Parker was Collins' inspiration for Quarry - and I recall the first Quarry novel is actually dedicated to Westlake.

"Sure, I stole from Westlake and Stark. If they didn’t want me to, they shouldn’t have written about thieves!" -- Max Alan Collins
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I am probably dating myself, but one of the best movies in this theme is The Cowboys, 1972, with John Wayne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cowboys

Excellent flick. Well worth watching with the family.
    Very possibly my favorite John Wayne movie. The moment when the cook is about to be hanged and he asks God for forgiveness for those he's killed, and those he's about to.....
    Absolutely one of my top favorite movie moments ever.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by csheehy View Post
    If you movie fans are interested, Max Allen Collins, who scripted the graphic novel Road to Perdition, has novelized the film and written two sequels about the son, who grows up to fight in the Pacific in WWII and then
    returns to seek vengeance for his father. Third book is set in Nevada in 1973, when the son is "middle aged" and still involved with the Mob.

Love the movie, haven't read the books yet, but they're on the list. All are rated pretty well.
    Small world though...I'm also a fan of Max Allen Collins, though perhaps not the most learned fan on his bibliography. My interest in his work was brought about mostly because I know his son pretty well and when he told me about the books his dad wrote. Being a fan of the genre already, I was interested to read more.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List