Thread: Black Foresight on Black Target

Black Foresight on Black Target

Hoping I can get some help on this. I have prescription glasses for a clear foresight on my 4" S&W 686. Fine if I am shooting on a white target but on the big black target I lose the foresight. Have tried the red ramp and a fibre optic with little success. Any thoughts please.

Site Supporter
    You could try an aperture sight on your glasses.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can also make one with some black tape and a punch to try it out.

I feel your pain. The answer for me is an RMR. I suspect putting one on your Smith will be a lot easier and cheaper than putting one in my HK.

A red/colored ramp or a fiber optic front sight isn’t doing much better than a blacked out front sight against a black target? Just checking to make sure I’m understanding that correctly.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I feel your pain. The answer for me is an RMR. I suspect putting one on your Smith will be a lot easier and cheaper than putting one in my HK.
    Agree with this, for my carry and match guns, this is where I'm heading.

I also participate in an indoor target shooting league at my local range, and the rule is iron sights only.
    So I have been trying out different things to deal with my aging eyes.

The apature sights are helping me quite a bit.
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; 09-23-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Something like this plus an RDS engineered specifically for handguns:
    https://www.jackweigand.com/swhpmnt.html

They dont ship outside the US, but I'm sure someone makes a similar product that does.

Mods should probably move this to the revolver section.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham52 View Post
    Hoping I can get some help on this. I have prescription glasses for a clear foresight on my 4" S&W 686. Fine if I am shooting on a white target but on the big black target I lose the foresight. Have tried the red ramp and a fibre optic with little success. Any thoughts please.
    The red ramp as issued on Smiths and others is very definitely not very bright. Ive been using Traffic Cone super bright orange nail polish with white base coat for several years, its so far been better than anything else ive tried, Ive painted over the mediocre factory red ramps where present also. Factory red ramp sights disappear at dusk, a little later than all black sights, but certainly much sooner than the neon orange color nail polish Ive been using on my pistols and iron sighted carbines. Im out daily at dusk on skunk patrol with a Winchester carbine, the orange sights have been a huge help in seeing the sights.

Are you shooting formal events where required to use a black bullseye or target? If not, just try using white targets on a different background.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    I similarly paint my revolver sights florescent orange with a white base coat. I use Testors enamel model paints but nail polish seems to do the trick for many.

I like a yellow insert instead of the factory orange. Probably the lowest cost option and reversible if yellow doesn’t work for you. I also like gold bead fronts if changing out the front sight is an option. I’ve worn glasses for a long time and at 60 plus, I now have RMRs on my auto pistols.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I find that indoors in the usual light level a white dot works best for me. One other thing I have done on a few pistols is get the white dot out more into the light. Many white dots are a shallow hole drilled into the sight. That makes it easy to get a nice perfectly round dot when dropping in a drop of paint but it can also keep the ambient light from getting to the white paint well. On some I just keep adding drops of paint until the hole is filled in. On a few others I have filed the surface of the sight where the dot is so it leans away at the top. This lets the light get to the white paint dot better.

User Tag List