Thread: eBay bad changes and alternative sales venues?

eBay bad changes and alternative sales venues?

I have been selling much of my knife collection. Some on BladeForums some on USN, a lot on ebay the past few years.

A problem has developed,

Ebay has changed how they pay you. Old way was Paypal and I would transfer it to my bank and then ship item.

New way supposedly they handle it all.

I have a sale 9/20/20 that ebay said buyer has paid but I have not received funds in PP or bank. I am supposed to ship 9/24/20. No $ no ship.

-----------------
    Any advice on selling on other forums, facebook, twitter etc... I got a little tired of BF and USN but may go back to them.

I am considering consignment at AZCK but have had bad experiences with consignments with one dealer in Augusta that really soured me.

Thanks.

Gunbroker hosts sales for lots of related items, like knives, and payment is arranged directly between the seller and buyer.

Just an option....I've bought a bunch off gunbroker, never sold though, so I don't have any relevant feedback to give you from a seller's perspective.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Ebay has changed how they pay you. Old way was Paypal and I would transfer it to my bank and then ship item.

New way supposedly they handle it all.

I have a sale 9/20/20 that ebay said buyer has paid but I have not received funds in PP or bank. I am supposed to ship 9/24/20. No $ no ship.
    When did this change? I sold stuff via eBay as recently as this Spring and didn't have this issue. If this is truly the way it operates now, I may give up any future sales there.

Chris

I can confirm this is the case as I just sold 2 items (9/17)and both worked as described in OP. As soon as I put in a tracking number the funds were released soon after. I don't care for it so I don't plan to use Ebay much in the future.

Site Supporter
    How unbelievably stupid. Every time I've been scammed with an online sale, they shipped me a package that was full of old books or bricks or other BS that was worthless and not at all the item described.

Alternatively, I've been scammed as a seller the same way, I ship out the item as described, buyer decides to "return it" but sends back a box full of BS that weighs about the same and keeps the refunded money and my item.

That new eBay policy solves neither of those issues.

Years back when Ebay limited payment options that was it for me. I was both buying/selling att. Except for books and a butter dish, wife's Fiesta odd color that was broken playing ball with dog in da'house. Thats been it, no bad experiences either way. Apparently business is good because this new policy will undoubtedly alienate even more people.

Site Supporter
    In the last 24hrs, I've sold 3 items via eBay ranging from $25 to $200. In all three cases, the money was immediately transferred to my Paypal account before I even went to ship.

I purchased USPS shipping via eBay (their prices are cheaper than buying from USPS) and used my newly acquired Paypal balance to pay for that shipping. As soon as the shipping label was purchased, I transferred the balance to my bank account.

This is exactly how it has worked for the last several years of me using eBay. I wonder why it's different for the OP.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Same experience as mtbkr in the last 60 days as I have been selling things that no longer bring me joy.

Ebay does bill/debit me for fees from that same paypal acct in the middle of the month. I get an email saying it is going to happen and it does a few days later.

FWIW

User Tag List