View Poll Results: Who will be the nominee?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amy Comey Barrett

32 68.09%
  • Barbara Lagoa

14 29.79%
  • Joan Larson

0 0%
  • Allison Jones Rushing

1 2.13%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poll: Nominee for Supreme Court Vacancy?

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    The more I think about this, that fact about Lagoa also helps to "take the wind out of the sails," for some arguments to justify future "Court packing." Already, claims are being made that if Trump nominates, and the Senate confirms an "extremist" and "conservative activist," that will justify packing the Court.

Trump, and the Republicans in the Senate can point to the fact that so many Democrats supported Lagoa in November 2019, that they couldn't realistically be believed by saying they now find her to be an "extremist" or "conservative activist."

Then again, Republicans and Democrats both have shown that flip flopping on such issues is something both sides will often do. Compare opinions about filling the vacancy in 2016, to comments now, by people of both parties, and there are plenty of blatant contradictions.
    Dems will want to pack the court regardless of who Trump picks.

"Extremist*" and "Conservative Activist*" ACB is the choice.

*is there proof that her rulings fit either of those adjectives?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Republican appointments to the Court have historically been much more likely to migrate to the left than the Left's appointments. The Federal Society has worked hard to identify and cultivate candidates who won't migrate (or will migrate less). ACB is at the top of the list for demonstrated stability. She is also at the top of the list for ability - she is incredibly bright (she has numerous recommendations from former teachers and colleagues, who all state she is a generational mind) and writes very well. I was rooting for her instead of J. Kavanaugh.

In addition, ACB is more photogenic than Lagoa - which totally matters to Pres. Trump.

On the other hand, since she is widely be reported as the front-runner, I think there is a significant possibility Pres. Trump will nominate another candidate just for the element of surprise/drama.

With respect to the fact that ACB's confirmation was closer than Lagoa's - do you really think Pres. Trump is afraid of a fight? Do you really think any Democrats would vote to confirm Lagoa? Do you really think any Republican would vote for Lagoa but not ACB? I come up with a big "no" to each of those questions.

Of course, everything I've just written is projection/justification. She is who I want as a Justice. She is an enormous supporter of individual rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    IHe’ll get more votes by having the democrats attack a nominee for her religion.
    Lagoa is also Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Dems will want to pack the court regardless of who Trump picks.

"Extremist*" and "Conservative Activist*" ACB is the choice.

*is there proof that her rulings fit either of those adjectives?
    Regardless anyone who didn't vote for her Circuit Court nomination won't have to worry about being called out for switching opinions now. A bit thornier position for anyone who voted for Lagoa 10 months ago to justify voting against her 10 months later.

For all those talk about what Trump wants/likes, he might just as easily want to make a couple dozen Senators squirm over trying to attack someone they supported a mere 10 months ago.

It appears the Vegas odds heavily favor Amy Comey Barrett, with Barbara Lagoa a distant second.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    It appears the Vegas odds heavily favor Amy Comey Barrett, with Barbara Lagoa a distant second.
    I was just about to ask that.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

User Tag List