Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting Rifle advice/recommendations

Hunting Rifle advice/recommendations

Have a buddy of mine looking for some advice on a hunting Rifle.

He will be hunting mainly elk and deer, and is going back and forth between two rifles.

First is the Weatherby vanguard back country

https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-back-country/

Second is the Bergara B14 Hunter rifle

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/b14/hunter-rifle/#

I don't hunt elk or deer and only birds, so me saying "X400 Xtreme plus" isn't much help to him, but I told him I know of a place where gun wisdom flows generously.

If any of you would give your thoughts that I may relay to him it would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Site Supporter
    Those are both nice rifles. Two question often come up - what is budget and is weight an issue? If you walk a short distance, use ATV etc. weight may not be issue. If you walk a long way in and out weight is a huge issue.

In the spirit of PF - I will make a third suggestion of get a Tikka T3X Lite in 308, 270, 3006, 7 Rem Mag, etc. and put money into Talley rings and nice scope.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Those are both nice rifles. Two question often come up - what is budget and is weight an issue? If you walk a short distance, use ATV etc. weight may not be issue. If you walk a long way in and out weight is a huge issue.

In the spirit of PF - I will make a third suggestion of get a Tikka T3X Lite in 308, 270, 3006, 7 Rem Mag, etc. and put money into Talley rings and nice scope.
    I've posted those questions and suggestions to my friend.

And yes, if anyone replying doesn't have another suggestion I would be disappointed.

Really don't think you can go wrong with a Tikka T3x, it is well regarded as the best factory action you can buy for the money. Obviously customs are nicer but the fit and finish and accuracy are top notch from all accounts.

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I have two Howa's 1500's. Howa makes the action for the Vanguard rifles. For the money those are excellent rifles so Vangaurd should be the same. I shoot mine a bunch and I'm pleased with both of them.

I'm not familiar with Bergara so no comment.

I am somewhat familiar with Tikka though. I don't own one but a buddy I shoot with does and I've shot it some. That is an exceptional rifle with very good precision/accuracy. His is a 308 but not sure of the model. It's a hunter of some type.

I know Tikka wasn't a choice but damn, those are primo.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by NWshooter View Post
    Have a buddy of mine looking for some advice on a hunting Rifle.

He will be hunting mainly elk and deer, and is going back and forth between two rifles.

First is the Weatherby vanguard back country

https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-back-country/

Second is the Bergara B14 Hunter rifle

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/b14/hunter-rifle/#

I don't hunt elk or deer and only birds, so me saying "X400 Xtreme plus" isn't much help to him, but I told him I know of a place where gun wisdom flows generously.

If any of you would give your thoughts that I may relay to him it would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Both of those rifles are good choices. I’d also look at the Remington M-700, the Tikka T3x, the Winchester M-70, and the Ruger M-77 Hawkeye at a minimum.

Avoid ultra-light rifles for a first-time hunter. They can be hard to shoot well and they kick harder than slightly heavier rifles. Eight pounds loaded, scoped, and with a sling is a very good place to be.

Choose a common cartridge: 30-06, 308, 270, or 7mm RM. All will take deer and elk, blast and recoil aren’t bad, and they’re among the last to run out when times get weird like they are now. They’re also not expensive, which matters since he’ll spend more on ammo than on the rifle in the long run. Barrel length should be between 22” and 24”.

Definitely go stainless/synthetic, especially if he hunts where it rains much. Factory synthetic stocks are better than you’d think, and paying the upcharge for a Bell & Carlson or HS Precision stock from the factory is not a bad call either. If he plans to upgrade to a top-drawer Bansner or McMillan later on, then definitely get the cheap factory stock for now.

Add a good 2.5-8 or 3-9 variable with an objective bell smaller than about 45mm in field-detachable mounts, zero it at 200 yards with the heaviest bullet that the chosen cartridge will move at 2,700 fps, and go forth.

A rifle like that will handle 99% of all game in North America, won't kick his teeth out in training, and will be easy to feed. He can add specialized rifles later, but those are best tied to a specific species or set of conditions so he should get a few hunts under his belt before going down that road.

On a completely separate note, he needs to get into a Hunter's Safety Course NOW if he hasn't already done so. He won't be able to buy a license without it, and they fill quickly.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Both of those rifles are good choices. I’d also look at the Remington M-700, the Tikka T3x, the Winchester M-70, and the Ruger M-77 Hawkeye at a minimum.

Avoid ultra-light rifles for a first-time hunter. They can be hard to shoot well and they kick harder than slightly heavier rifles. Eight pounds loaded, scoped, and with a sling is a very good place to be.

Choose a common cartridge: 30-06, 308, 270, or 7mm RM. All will take deer and elk, blast and recoil aren’t bad, and they’re among the last to run out when times get weird like they are now. They’re also not expensive, which matters since he’ll spend more on ammo than on the rifle in the long run. Barrel length should be between 22” and 24”.

Definitely go stainless/synthetic, especially if he hunts where it rains much. Factory synthetic stocks are better than you’d think, and paying the upcharge for a Bell & Carlson or HS Precision stock from the factory is not a bad call either. If he plans to upgrade to a top-drawer Bansner or McMillan later on, then definitely get the cheap factory stock for now.

Add a good 2.5-8 or 3-9 variable with an objective bell smaller than about 45mm in field-detachable mounts, zero it at 200 yards with the heaviest bullet that the chosen cartridge will move at 2,700 fps, and go forth.

A rifle like that will handle 99% of all game in North America, won't kick his teeth out in training, and will be easy to feed. He can add specialized rifles later, but those are best tied to a specific species or set of conditions so he should get a few hunts under his belt before going down that road.

On a completely separate note, he needs to get into a Hunter's Safety Course NOW if he hasn't already done so. He won't be able to buy a license without it, and they fill quickly.

Okie John

This place kicks ass.

Elk? Tikka .300WM.
    #RESIST

I don't have experience with either of those rifles but would, and do, try to talk anyone who asks into going Tikka. I hunt with a Tikka T3X stainless/laminate in 30-06 it is a bit heavier than my buddy's lite version in 270 but is an absolute joy to shoot and is boringly accurate. Throw a Nikon monarch-7 4-16, if you can find one, on there and you can hunt anything anywhere.
    Name:  IMG_20191015_090958578~2.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  60.1 KB

User Tag List