Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to group and guns

Newbie to group and guns

Hi all, newbie to the core here. Just purchased a S&W M&P 380Shield EZ (mainly for wife). Also found out there are almost no 380 ACP ammo available and what is available is really pricey. Neither of us have ever shot pistols. Went to range for instructions last week and really enjoyed it tho. So please forgive any stupid questions I may have, this is a real learning curve for both of us. Tim in Hill Country of Texas.

I have a friend in the same situation. He decide 4-5 weeks ago it's time to be armed. Yep, it's a terrible time to get armed too. Ammo is at least double what it should cost IF you can even find it. Best wishes. I would suggest looking at a lot of training videos, figure out how your wife will carry it, and then have her do a LOT of dryfire practice at home. My wife carries in a purse made for the purpose w/ a specific compartment. Even so it's no where near as smooth and safe as a standard holster.

Site Supporter
    Welcome. The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Welcome from St. Louis!

Comfort TX, I know where that is. Sounds like you already took a class, which is a good first step that a lot of people skip. There’s more good training around your area if you’d like to pursue it further....if you can find ammo! You, and plenty of other folks, picked a heck of time to get started.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bohaiboy View Post
    Hi all, newbie to the core here. Just purchased a S&W M&P 380Shield EZ (mainly for wife). Also found out there are almost no 380 ACP ammo available and what is available is really pricey. Neither of us have ever shot pistols. Went to range for instructions last week and really enjoyed it tho. So please forgive any stupid questions I may have, this is a real learning curve for both of us. Tim in Hill Country of Texas.
    You hit the jack pot. This place has a huge knowledge base.

I recommend reading through ToddG's writings and lessons on Pistol-training.com as well (the blog site associated with this forum).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Welcome. The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts ^^^^^ exactly. The ammo situation is currently in a state of trying to catch up with demand. Before this day is done, you will have links from the members here that can save you lots of time and money. Just stay tuned.....pistol-forum can - and will - provide you with no bs information freely given.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Warm welcome from Tampa, FL, Tim. Glad to have you aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post

Comfort TX, I know where that is.
    Me too, but only because I went through on the way to the Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls for pie and ice cream once. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by bohaiboy View Post
    Greetings from just north of you.

In addition to whats been said, there are multiple instructors in driving distance,a nd it sounds like you have already availed yourself of some of that. Excellent.
    Ammunition is scarce right now but will eventually loosen up. In the interim, do dry firing. Take classes in person and look at online, and ask questions.

Don't be in a hurry to settle on any one handgun brand or type. Get as much experience handling, and hopefully shooting, a variety before you make any major purchases. Rent guns at ranges if that's an option.

And of course, I will heartily recommend hanging out here, reading and asking questions. There is much wisdom here and the chances you'll be led astray are low.

Welcome!
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List