Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Smith M67 opinions

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    There may come a time when I won't be able to rack a slide, so I'm trying to get ahead of the issue and looking for opinions on the current Smith Model 67.

Will they go "bang" reliably or is that something I can expect to have to return to the mothership to fix?

Will they shoot the standard 148 grain wadcutters accurately? I recall a few years ago a guy was having trouble with the barrels on his 44 Mag not wanting to shoot cast bullets - barrel was designed for copper jackets, supposedly - EDM (?) rifling, IIRC.

I don't need a .357 so I won't need a Model 19, thanks.

(I may ask about other makes and models later.)

Opinions?
    If you can't rack a slide will you be able to pull a DA trigger ?

Seems you hear very little bad .. concerning Ruger LCR’s ...I have had at least a half a dozen or more , with two more in the safe at this time .. all work and worked great ...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I may look into an old M15.
    For a adjustable sight .38, they're about perfect. The 15-3 that I have is one that if I miss the center of the target, it's on me.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you can't rack a slide will you be able to pull a DA trigger ?
    Don't know - it depends on the particular issue, but I should be able to thumb back the hammer, at the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    For a adjustable sight .38, they're about perfect. The 15-3 that I have is one that if I miss the center of the target, it's on me.
    I agree. During my time on combat aircrews I carried an M15 with a short barrel and 130gr metal case cartridges. I should be able to improve on those characteristics, though.

Site Supporter
    Don't know - it depends on the particular issue, but I should be able to thumb back the hammer, at the worst.
    Racking a slide uses the whole hand. With proper technique (Gun held close to body, hold slide, push frame) it should be easier than a DA trigger pull. Even thumbing a hammer requires one digit to do most of the work. A gun like the S&W EZ also makes slide racking easier.

re: M67s -nothing is guaranteed in life, if you want a M67 - get one.

Here is a long time S&W Armorers take on the new guns vs the "Good old days"

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If I was to go IDPA revolver and get serious about it as a piece of sporting equipment, I'd get a two-piece barrel M67.
    Why a 67 over a 66? Genuinely curious.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The cylinder is shorter, thus has less rotational inertia. Less force on the trigger to get it turning quickly, less force peening the cylinder notches when it stops turning.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The cylinder is shorter, thus has less rotational inertia. Less force on the trigger to get it turning quickly, less force peening the cylinder notches when it stops turning.
    Got it.

Thanks.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Why a 67 over a 66? Genuinely curious.

Okie John
    For me, I have had both M66/M19 in the past and have carried the short M15 and also qualified on the four-inch M15. I like the M15 balance much better than the magnums. Also, I have shot all the 357 rounds in a mid-size revolver that I need to for one lifetime. I have zero interest in a magnum.

User Tag List