Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Smith M67 opinions

New Smith M67 opinions

There may come a time when I won't be able to rack a slide, so I'm trying to get ahead of the issue and looking for opinions on the current Smith Model 67.

Will they go "bang" reliably or is that something I can expect to have to return to the mothership to fix?

Will they shoot the standard 148 grain wadcutters accurately? I recall a few years ago a guy was having trouble with the barrels on his 44 Mag not wanting to shoot cast bullets - barrel was designed for copper jackets, supposedly - EDM (?) rifling, IIRC.

I don't need a .357 so I won't need a Model 19, thanks.

(I may ask about other makes and models later.)

Opinions?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    All new revolvers require careful checking prior to purchase.

Other than the IL and people carping about MIM parts and two-piece barrels, I’ve not heard anything bad about the M67s.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    All new revolvers require careful checking prior to purchase.

Other than the IL and people carping about MIM parts and two-piece barrels, I’ve not heard anything bad about the M67s.
    Thanks.

"IL?"

So, basically these aren't something you'd want to order from Bud's...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There are posts (on benos, I think) where people who have shot the two-piece barrels in IDPA and say they are more accurate than the older, one-piece barrels.

If I was to go IDPA revolver and get serious about it as a piece of sporting equipment, I'd get a two-piece barrel M67. I would set it as a long-term goal and sort through as many as it took at LGSs and gun shows to find a good one or two. It's possible that it would come down to choosing the one I could find that would be the least expensive to make right, rather than the one that was actually right.

I have honestly not inspected a new S&W revolver in the past several years without finding something wrong enough with it to not consider buying it. Some things very impressively wrong. I'm not a gunsmith and haven't carried measuring equipment around to gun stores.

It's common for both new S&W and new Ruger revolvers to go back to their maker to get fixed. It's far more likely for a Ruger to come back to its owner actually fixed. Based on multiple personal experiences, I'd generally just suck it up and pay for one of the few remaining outstanding revolver smiths to make it right, rather than send anything back to S&W and expect to be happy with the result.

On the other hand, some people are happy with their newer S&Ws.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Well, thanks. Can't say I'm surprised, but I was hoping, you know?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    "IL?"

So, basically these aren't something you'd want to order from Bud's...
    Internal lock. You can order it from Bud's, but you'll want to do a quick checkout of the gun before doing the transfer paperwork, You may have to pay shipping both ways. Or, if you're buying one from the Big Three (Ruger, Colt or S&W), you can accept the gun and then send it back for warranty work, if need be.

All of the gun manufacturers seem to be relying on their customers for final QC. Since a lot of folks may never put more than 500 rounds through their new guns, it's not a bad bet for them to make.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Thanks.

I'd wanted to avoid planning to use my daughter's Ruger SP101 in 32 H&R, but since she's living abroad she'll never miss it. I know that one works - I spent entirely too much gunsmith money smoothing it, internally and externally.

barrel was designed for copper jackets, supposedly - EDM (?) rifling, IIRC.
    S&W has been using EDM to 'cut' rifling since the 90s, IIRC. If it didn't shoot cast, it wasn't that.

There may come a time when I won't be able to rack a slide, so I'm trying to get ahead of the issue...
    Glad to see I’m not the only one that thinks like this. Between potential physical issues and the possibility of future legislation, I thought it best to add a few revolvers. I looked at the 67, but ended up with a used 619 as a holster gun. The 67 I handled was impressive with no obvious issues.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I recently got a new S&W 43c. It's been good.

I'd probably go the few extra bucks and get a 3" Model 66 and have the Magnum option with easier concealed carry.

User Tag List