Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steel Challenge Rimfire Optics

For a pistol, as much as I like Ruger Standards, I have to recommend the Browning Buckmark for two reasons: 1) The barreled receiver is not the "firearm" for the ATF, making barrel changes easier, and 2) Browning has rebates on the Buckmark. $300 will buy a Buckmark. If you do go Ruger, keep an eye on the Volquartsen clearance page at https://volquartsen.com/clearance as Mark IV barreled receivers are being sold for prices as low as $35 delivered to the FFL with Lite receivers selling for $100. The 22/45 Mark IV complete pistol can be had for $300, so a complete Lite can be purchased for $400.

For rifles, the 10/22 is the right answer. Tactical Solutions are light enough for kids but are expensive new. Look for used models, Ruger and otherwise, at https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...y&categoryid=4

Thanks for the info! Shopping for rimfire things for the wife and potentially the kiddo in the future.

A Ruger .22/45 or Mk3 for pistol and a 10/22 for the rifle are the two most common guns I see at Steel Challenge. Namely bc of the endless options for after-market support to customize to your hearts content. Or run them stock.

But, being a 1911 aficionado, my goto rimfire pistol is a Marvel 2 conversion. A little more finicky to run (its all about the mags and how you load them) but there’s just something about a rimfire 1911…. I’ve got a Vortex Razor red dot on mine.

For 10/22, the Volquartsen trigger kit, carbon wrapped barrel and an old school C-more are what I’ve got on mine. Light and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    But, being a 1911 aficionado, my goto rimfire pistol is a Marvel 2 conversion. A little more finicky to run (its all about the mags and how you load them) but there’s just something about a rimfire 1911…. I’ve got a Vortex Razor red dot on mine.
    Are you using the polymer magazines?

Every .45 frame I have seats the magazines too high causing the mag to hit the ejector. They make high shelf mag releases nut I haven't found a low shelf mag release. I'm loath to whittle on the mags in case something else is the problem.

This thing is eerily accurate, but I haven't been able to use it in action pistol because I can't get through a course of fire without it hiccupping.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Are you using the polymer magazines?

Every .45 frame I have seats the magazines too high causing the mag to hit the ejector. They make high shelf mag releases nut I haven't found a low shelf mag release. I'm loath to whittle on the mags in case something else is the problem.

This thing is eerily accurate, but I haven't been able to use it in action pistol because I can't get through a course of fire without it hiccupping.
    No, metal mags by GSG. I also replaced the stock follower, springs, and basepads with a +4 kit but only load 10 for better feeding.

User Tag List