Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel Challenge Rimfire Optics

Steel Challenge Rimfire Optics

I am about to start getting my son into Steel Challenge competitions, and we are looking for a .22 pistol and pcc to get into it. For anyone who's gone down this road, what do you recommend for a 10 yr old kid who's on the smaller side (i.e. need something lighter weight), that can take an RDS?

The Ruger Mk IV 22/45 Lite would be a factory ready choice: https://ruger.com/products/markIV224...ets/43934.html

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    The Ruger Mk IV 22/45 Lite would be a factory ready choice: https://ruger.com/products/markIV224...ets/43934.html
    Thanks, this one was high on my list. How does it compare to a browning buckmark or a S&W victory?

Site Supporter
    PCC / Rifle - S&W M&P 15-22. Light, reliable and the M4 style stock’s LOP adjustability is great to grow into.

For an actual pistol cal PCC- the CMMG banshee

My son was 10 when he started. He was slightly smaller than average and was able to use a 10/22 with the wood stock cut down and a Ruger mkII.

My daughter is 8 and petite. There’s no way she could shoot the same guns as my son. When I started her last year we went 10/22 with tactical solutions barrel, and a black hawk axiom stock. I think the weight is sub 3 pounds if I remember correctly. For a pistol we were gifted a ruger 22/45 lite by some great friends. The weight and grip size are about as good as you can get for a small shooter.

This is nssf (formerly ruger challenge?) so there isn’t any drawing from holster.

The one common theme I see for all competitors is that everyone is running the lightest guns they can afford.

Timely.

I’m taking my 12 year old daughter with me to steel challenge in a couple of weeks. I’m hoping she gets interested. I have a youth model 10/22 and an mp22/15 that she’s shot off the bench before. She preferred the 10/22 at the bench because the extended mag gave her problems but I’m curious which one weighs less now.

I also have a 22/45 tactical that I’ve been meaning to put a cheap dot on so that might work as well.

I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Thanks for posting it!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Thanks, this one was high on my list. How does it compare to a browning buckmark or a S&W victory?
    I haven't heard anything about an S&W Victory that would make me want to spend money on it, and some of my industry colleagues have reported that they're less than reliable. The Buckmark would be my second choice after the Ruger, but the thing about the 22/45 that's so great is how common spare parts and mods are for it.

There are some Victories in the wild. The ones I’ve seen are pretty tricked out and used by adult sized shooters. I’m thinking they’re all steel/ heavy.

Buck Marks run good and you can upgrade the barrel without going the ffl route.

At the end of the day rimfire racing is a Ruger world.

I picked up a 22/45 lite locally today. It seems there are endless aftermarket options out there. Is there anything that is a must have before I even get started? Extractor, firing pin, etc?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I picked up a 22/45 lite locally today. It seems there are endless aftermarket options out there. Is there anything that is a must have before I even get started? Extractor, firing pin, etc?

Thanks!
    Need? You’ll want at least 5 magazines for Steel Challenge, and you need a case/rug to bring the pistol to the line.

I’d shoot it before buying much stuff. Find out if it’s going to work for you and your family. Find out what ammunition it likes.

In the aftermarket, I put a Volquartsen trigger in my old Mk. II and liked the overtravel reduction.

User Tag List