Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Book About Dallas PD and the 2016 Attack

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

New Book About Dallas PD and the 2016 Attack

Standoff: Race, Policing, and a Deadly Assault That Gripped a Nation was released today. It was written by Jamie Thompson, the same writer who penned the excellent Dallas Morning News article we had a thread on. Based on her article for DMN, I have high hopes she did the story justice.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Ordered. Should be here tomorrow.

The original DMN piece was one of the best examples of long-form journalism in recent memory -- should be required reading not just for anyone interested in or even tangentially related to the type of incident in question and many issues it had in play, but as a reminder to all what professional journalism looks like.

Thanks Chance for the heads-up on the book...
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Oooh perfect thread timing, I just finished a non fiction book and was about to go looking for another.

Thanks, I ordered a copy.

Ditto.

Saw a review on goodreads today and I wanted to throttle the poster...but I figured no sense decloaking and inviting a protest on my yard.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Hope the link in the thread was good for the P-F Amazon credit. Prime delivery is Thursday.

I'll download the sample today.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Thanks, will order soon.
    A sad post script to the story - Brent Thompson's (the DART officer that was killed) teenage son committed suicide not long after the incident. His older brother Lowell also passed away. Lowell was the DA in their (and my) hometown.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Thanks, will order soon.
    A sad post script to the story - Brent Thompson's (the DART officer that was killed) teenage son committed suicide not long after the incident. His older brother Lowell also passed away. Lowell was the DA in their (and my) hometown.
    That's simply tragic. How much does one family have to endure?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List