Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: With .22lr M&P15's hard to find these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    We have the CMMG kits at work. Haven’t used them in a while but when we did, we had the best luck running them with my MP-15/22 mags. The CMMG mags were “meh”.
    Sorry I realize I’m basically restating what you’ve just said here but to confirm – S&W MP15/22 mags work with the CMMG bolt conversion kit?

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Sorry I realize I’m basically restating what you’ve just said here but to confirm – S&W MP15/22 mags work with the CMMG bolt conversion kit?
    Yes, that’s what I remember. We haven’t used them in years. Bought them back during Obama’s reign. I’ll confirm that for you tomorrow if you want. I’ll be at the range anyway so it’s easy to do.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

If you get the Boonie Packer adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Has anyone experienced increased barrel wear while using a cmmg conversion in a .223/5.56 upper? I have one and I used it quite a bit in a RRA AR that I had for a little while when I was a poor college kid. I had to send that gun back to RRA because the gas tube retaining pin walked itself out and turned it into a single-shot rifle during a 3 gun match, but while it was there, they tried to say the barrel was shot out. I was a bit pissed at the time considering I'd shot around 1,000 rounds of decent brass-cased fmj through it to date and after pissing and moaning enough, they replaced it. I hadn't really thought about it at the time, but after receiving the rifle back, it dawned on me that I'd also put close to 1,000 rounds of .22lr through that barrel. Since then, I've always been a little curious if .22lr was just small enough that it was moving around causing pre-mature wear or something.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    Has anyone experienced increased barrel wear while using a cmmg conversion in a .223/5.56 upper? I have one and I used it quite a bit in a RRA AR that I had for a little while when I was a poor college kid. I had to send that gun back to RRA because the gas tube retaining pin walked itself on it and turned it into a single-shot rifle during a 3 gun match, but while it was there, they tried to say the barrel was shot out. I was a bit pissed at the time considering I'd shot around 1,000 rounds of decent brass-cased fmj through it to date and after pissing and moaning enough, they replaced it. I hadn't really thought about it at the time, but after receiving the rifle back, it dawned on me that I'd also put close to 1,000 rounds of .22lr through that barrel. Since then, I've always been a little curious if .22lr was just small enough that it was moving around causing pre-mature wear or something.
    I can't imagine that 1000 rnds of .22lr would cause anywhere near enough wear on a well manufactured AR barrel (which I assume is chrome lined) to wear it out.

Back in my ROTC days our detachment had an AR15 with a slightly bulged barrel. We used the Army issue .22LR conversions on the range we had on campus. The rifles were not cleaned very often. Supposedly the bulge was caused when one day the rifle was taken to the off campus range and 556 rounds were shot through a heavily leaded barrel. Sounds likely but probably not what happened with you.

Worked just fine. Bolt doesn’t lock back but fed just fine.

Name:  D549449B-11EB-4E6E-8645-AF42DDDDA571.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  70.0 KB
    Name:  71E018D0-301C-4218-9B33-C3635DECDDA3.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  91.6 KB
    Name:  C6B16A38-57E3-434C-84F3-E32849DB4DD0.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  37.3 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I can't imagine that 1000 rnds of .22lr would cause anywhere near enough wear on a well manufactured AR barrel (which I assume is chrome lined) to wear it out.

Back in my ROTC days our detachment had an AR15 with a slightly bulged barrel. We used the Army issue .22LR conversions on the range we had on campus. The rifles were not cleaned very often. Supposedly the bulge was caused when one day the rifle was taken to the off campus range and 556 rounds were shot through a heavily leaded barrel. Sounds likely but probably not what happened with you.
    Non-chrome lined barrel. I don't think it was melonited or anything either. I usually shot a single round of 5.56 through it when I was done with the .22 as that supposedly would clean it out well enough and would run a bore snake through it. The funny thing is, it was a scoped up gun that I was using as a sort of quasi-dmr build so it's not like I was doing mag dumps through the thing either. I dumped it during the Sandy Hook panic and bought a Colt, which I've been very happy with, but I've not used the conversion kit much since.

User Tag List