Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With .22lr M&P15's hard to find these days...

With .22lr M&P15's hard to find these days...

... what's the hive mind's recommendation for a means to shoot .22lr through my Colt 6920?

Dedicated upper? CMMG conversion kit?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    ... what's the hive mind's recommendation for a means to shoot .22lr through my Colt 6920?

Dedicated upper? CMMG conversion kit?
    We have the CMMG kits at work. Haven’t used them in a while but when we did, we had the best luck running them with my MP-15/22 mags. The CMMG mags were “meh”.

I’d also suggest running a mag of regular 556 through the rifle after using the conversion kit.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Upper> conversion kits. Due to both accuracy / barrel twist and fouling.

Boonie Packer makes a Mag well insert which allows use of the M&P15-22 mags with CMMG pattern uppers. The 15-22 mags are one of the best .22 mags on the market.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

While on the way to the dentist today, I spotted three M&P 15's in two different shops for not a lot of money.

While at the dentist today, I found out that I'm not going to have even that much money.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    While on the way to the dentist today, I spotted three M&P 15's in two different shops for not a lot of money.

While at the dentist today, I found out that I'm not going to have even that much money.
    Ouch - sorry.

A conversion bolt is your cheapest option then and will do 90% of what a dedicated upper or .22 AR will.

If a person is just wanting a .22 AR to burn less expensive (notice I no longer use the word cheap ) ammo then I think a conversion bolt is the best bet if cost is a factor. The thing you won’t have with a conversion (and even a basic dedicated upper) is the same manual of arms in terms of reloads. That said, reloads can be practiced dry.

In my experience - the dedicated .22 AR has become something of a futile quest for reliability and function but others report good things.

Got my Boonie Packer mag adapter and CMMG conversion in. To make a long story shorter, I did a function check and found out the bolt hold open on the mag adapter didn't work in my PSA guns but was fine in a couple others. Eventually realized that the PSA upper was contacting the front corners and squishing the adapter to the point it was putting pressure on the bolt hold open. A few quick swipes with a small file and it was good. If you install the Boonie Packer mag adapter and your gun is harder than normal to close, that's probably the issue. Check for function of the BHO in the lower by itself and then with the upper on with and without the conversion in.

My plan is to put together a dedicated .22lr clone to my work gun using PSA stuff so I really wanted it to work in my PSA practice gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I bought a used Chiappa upper a few years ago. Put a 4X scope on it and
    a sling I had lying around.

Worked for months with minimal cleaning. Started working fine again
    as soon as I cleaned it up. Had one mag that went bad. The rest are
    still working well.

Accuracy is good as long as I stick to using plated HV .22s.

I have a CMMG kit that runs with CCI SV and Federal 36gr bulk. It has been as reliable as any other semi-auto 22LR rifle and is accurate enough to hit soda cans at 100 yards. The barrel is a 16" 1:8 twist Sabre Defense.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List