Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Channeling my inner Cooper

Channeling my inner Cooper

I just got my shipment of 2100 200gr swc from rimrock. Loaded some up over 7gr unique. Ill go test fire tomorrow. They sure do look like they're seated long but fit easily into the chamber and cycle very easily by hand.
    Name:  20200921_165227.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  56.5 KB
    Last edited by 03RN; 09-21-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Wilson has shot their 45 test targets with 4.8 gr. Bullseye/ Fed 150 primers / 1.25 OAL for eleventy million years.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

OAL does not appear long. The image resolution is not present for a definitive look but they look good.

Site Supporter
    I think I load mine a bit shorter but not by a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot pretty good. My reload not so much.

Need a magwell on that blaster. I've got a Nighthawk magwell with a slight round butt and I LOVE it! Those loads have some bark.

Back Country Load

03RN:
    I have tested that load (7.0 grains of Unique and a H&G #68 style bullet) in the 1911 I carry when I recreate here in Montana. It is safe in my guns, runs reliably and hits to the sights. More importantly, it is controllable and allows me to place a number of accurate hits on targets. My understanding is that author Patrick Sweeney mentioned that an H&G 68 loaded to make make Major power factor (900 feet per second with 5.8 grains of Winchester 231) in a typical 45 auto will penetrate 32 inches or more of ballistic gelatin (Gun Digest Big Fat Book of the .45 ACP, by Patrick Sweeney, copyright 2009, Library of Congress Control Number 2009923228, page 295-I apologize if the citation form is incorrect; its been a while since I had to cite a written work.). What is not specified in Mr. Sweeney's book are the various test results under which that load was tested. I suspect from some of his writings it was in accordance with typical FBI protocols, but I cannot confirm that. Having shot the load Mr. Sweeney specifies extensively over the years, I am happy with its penetration. I figure for a hard cast bullet being driven close to 1,000 feet per second from my 1911 won't replace a Brenneke slug from my Remington 870 but it will probably do more than tickle a grizzly that decides to chew on me.
    Thanks for the post.
    Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I just got my shipment of 2100 200gr swc from rimrock. Loaded some up over 7gr unique. Ill go test fire tomorrow. They sure do look like they're seated long but fit easily into the chamber and cycle very easily by hand.
    Name:  20200921_165227.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  56.5 KB
    Does that pistol have a full length grip or is it short/officer's length? Proportions look like full size to me for some reason but that doesn't sound possible in the Champion line.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    03RN:
    I have tested that load (7.0 grains of Unique and a H&G #68 style bullet) in the 1911 I carry when I recreate here in Montana. It is safe in my guns, runs reliably and hits to the sights. More importantly, it is controllable and allows me to place a number of accurate hits on targets. My understanding is that author Patrick Sweeney mentioned that an H&G 68 loaded to make make Major power factor (900 feet per second with 5.8 grains of Winchester 231) in a typical 45 auto will penetrate 32 inches or more of ballistic gelatin (Gun Digest Big Fat Book of the .45 ACP, by Patrick Sweeney, copyright 2009, Library of Congress Control Number 2009923228, page 295-I apologize if the citation form is incorrect; its been a while since I had to cite a written work.). What is not specified in Mr. Sweeney's book are the various test results under which that load was tested. I suspect from some of his writings it was in accordance with typical FBI protocols, but I cannot confirm that. Having shot the load Mr. Sweeney specifies extensively over the years, I am happy with its penetration. I figure for a hard cast bullet being driven close to 1,000 feet per second from my 1911 won't replace a Brenneke slug from my Remington 870 but it will probably do more than tickle a grizzly that decides to chew on me.
    Thanks for the post.
    Bruce
    Thank you for this very thorough post. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Does that pistol have a full length grip or is it short/officer's length? Proportions look like full size to me for some reason but that doesn't sound possible in the Champion line.
    Yeah that pic looks kinda wonky. Yeah its a 4", full sized grip. It has a wilson vickers mag in it so it sticks out

User Tag List