Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is price gouging the ammo?

Not to stir up the pot... but I did see a friend get 3 cases ( 1K each )of .223 55gr PMC Bronze for $399.97 each thousand rounds.

I saw the invoice... and promptly looked online....at the time, the going internet price was $800 / 1 thousand rounds.

The friend bought it at the East Coast Dealers cost.

I fully believe there is quite a bit of price gouging going on. Especially via the internet.

Supply and demand.

I don’t think we will ever see $9-11 boxes of 9mm again.

Everything is more expensive and the dollar continues to be worth less.

You can’t buy a new car for $5000 anymore and minimum wage 20 years ago was $5 instead of $15.

But I think by end of 2021 things will be down from the current $26/box to $23 for good ammo, finally settling out at $20-22 a box.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I don’t think we will ever see $9-11 boxes of 9mm again.

Everything is more expensive and the dollar continues to be worth less.

You can’t buy a new car for $5000 anymore and minimum wage 20 years ago was $5 instead of $15.

But I think by end of 2021 things will be down from the current $26/box to $23 for good ammo, finally settling out at $20-22 a box.
    Yeah, I think $10 boxes of 9mm are a thing of the past. Or at least it will be a very long time. The price of literally everything is going up, why would ammo be any different?

I hope you’re right. I’ve heard that manufacturer’s are planning another price increase in the next few months.

The price has come down a little bit in the local store, just 50/round .

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    I just paid .40 cents per round for a case of Federal .45 ACP, while not as bad as what some are facing still, its the most I have ever given for a practice case of pistol ammo...Stuff is generally more available locally if you are willing to pay the asking price for it...
    I hate quoting myself, but just to give you a idea, Dealer cost on the case of ammo listed above to my buddies shop was 352.98 with free shipping from the distributor due to the total dollar value of the order it was included with. It was a case of 1000 that was packaged in (5) 200 round range packs for resale. So each range pack cost him 70.60 or per 50 rounds 17.65, at the standard mark up he runs on ammo and accessories right now each range pack would have been put out on the shelf at 98 bucks a piece or at a little over 35 percent... Most places around here are trying to double their money on ammo or more, My buddy has had to go up to 50 percent on some stuff that is hard to get, like 5.7, revolver ammo, some hunting stuff that only gets made once a year or every other year.... but he has tried to keep stuff affordable for guys who shoot and limited amounts to try to limit resellers from buying from him and then relisting it. There is a guy here in town that has claimed to have made 30k so far this panic waiting in all the Academy and other big box lines to buy and then relisting the stuff on gunbroker.... I'm all about capitalism but..... that guy's a dick....

I think I've talked about it before but prior to the panic, Sam Gabbert, owner of SGammo, was selling 124gn 9mm by the case for 169.50 plus 16 bucks shipping, dealer cost on that ammo by the pallet was 164.50 per case.... Sam made 5 bucks per case and maybe a buck or two on shipping costs and was totally dependant on volume to make any money..... and he could barely move that ammo, it just sat around in his warehouse... The industry is not trying to go back to those days, prices will get better. But, all of us should kick ourselves in the ass for not having bought Sam out at that price when we could. I know I do at times, because it ain't going back to those days if the industry can help it, that's why they are not expanding any production capability. The industry tried that last time and almost went bust. I'm still sitting on a good supply of ammo and the panic has not really cut into keeping me from doing anything I want to gunwise, but I do keep a eye on it more than I used to as replacement opportunity cost is much higher. It has got me back into shooting my 1911's and Revolvers a lot more though this year and that has been a enjoyable diversion.
    Last edited by rcbusmc24; 05-25-2021 at 12:47 PM.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

But, all of us should kick ourselves in the ass for not having bought Sam out at that price when we could..
    If we had expected this...I was going into the pandemic with 50K of various ammo, probably 40% of that in 9, and having to move it all around so I could walk into my storage. Who knew that 20K of 9 wasn't going to be enough to ride it out.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

For anyone keeping track, unfortunately Federal did raise their prices over the weekend. A box of 9mm increased from $26.99 to $28.99.

I think I've talked about it before but prior to the panic, Sam Gabbert, owner of SGammo, was selling 124gn 9mm by the case for 169.50 plus 16 bucks shipping, dealer cost on that ammo by the pallet was 164.50 per case.... Sam made 5 bucks per case and maybe a buck or two on shipping costs and was totally dependant on volume to make any money..... and he could barely move that ammo, it just sat around in his warehouse....

I bought all that I could afford and shot weekly. If I remember correct, Sam would also send out emails or other notices that ammo was cheap and that eventually it would go up. I imagine that if we all knew then what we know now, he'd have sold a ton more ammo at those prices. lol

Sure do miss those days. I too am sitting on a decent supply but I don't shoot a tenth of what I used to.

Quote Originally Posted by zpelletier View Post
    For anyone keeping track, unfortunately Federal did raise their prices over the weekend. A box of 9mm increased from $26.99 to $28.99.
    Another yikes. At Natchez, a case of Blazer Brass 9mm 115 has been in stock at $549 for the last several weeks. Now $589.

https://www.natchezss.com/cci-blazer...oose-pack.html

Dropped by the local LGS yesterday just to see what the situation was. Haven't been in there in a year or more because I knew they didn't have anything I wanted to buy. They had several pallets of Magtech 9 mm for $25/box but there was a 4 box limit. I saw a few bottles of powder for about $35/lb. Bullet situation seemed to be a little better. No primers.

When the primer situation gets back to a reasonable level, maybe $40/1000, ammo will become less expensive.

0.30/rd 9mm is history. I can load it for about 0.16/rd but that's with components I've had for several years. I expect the unit cost will be about 0.20/rd in the future. Surprisingly, 45 ACP will probably be about the same. The only difference I see there is powder and bullet costs, which are only a few cents more.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List