Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is price gouging the ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I'd be gouging ammo prices if I was going to sell any
    Yeah ammo prices are almost high enough to make to worth my while to pare down some of my stash. I probably would have started already if I didn't live in CA where I need to become a licensed ammo dealer to sell 1 brick of 22lr...

When I practice now .. I go to a indoor range that requires you to use their ammo .. so its a bit higher than it should be .. but I don’t use my stash ...

https://thereload.com/manufacturers-...out-for-years/

America is more than a year into the latest ammunition shortage, and it appears supply will not catch up with demand anytime soon.

As store shelves lie barren and prices for the most popular ammunition hover at two, three, or even five times their pre-pandemic levels, manufacturers said they are still scrambling to bring enough product to market. They said they are still working through several years’ worth of orders that have already been placed.

Inversely Federal 9mm on their website has dropped $5 to `2x precovid price, and availability increased to four boxes a purchase. Freedom munitions has also dropped.

I am seeing prices slowly decreasing and availability increasing in local stores. Box limits apply and 9mm does sell out not long after hitting the shelves, but it is much more readily available than a couple of months ago.

And, if you’re willing to pay 0.60/round, you really can get all the quality 9mm ammo you want, easily. Hard to stomach when one is used to 0.08-0.12/round, but that is the current situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I am seeing prices slowly decreasing and availability increasing in local stores. Box limits apply and 9mm does sell out not long after hitting the shelves, but it is much more readily available than a couple of months ago.

And, if you’re willing to pay 0.60/round, you really can get all the quality 9mm ammo you want, easily. Hard to stomach when one is used to 0.08-0.12/round, but that is the current situation.
    Yep, .50-.60/round generally gets you quality 9mm ammo now, where all that was available was no name stuff at .75/round. I see little incentive for the large manufacturers to invest in increased production, when they can sell everything they make at “ice after a hurricane” pricing. $26.99/50 is Federal’s price on their web-store for 150 Syntech.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Yep, .50-.60/round generally gets you quality 9mm ammo now, where all that was available was no name stuff at .75/round. I see little incentive for the large manufacturers to invest in increased production, when they can sell everything they make at “ice after a hurricane” pricing. $26.99/50 is Federal’s price on their web-store for 150 Syntech.
    PLus they were burned in the past and additional capacity is a major capital / long term investment.

I just don’t see prices dropping anytime soon. The cost of raw materials continues to rise, as do gas prices. But regardless, everything sells out. Even at $29.99 for 50 rounds of 115gr 9mm, it still sells out before the day is done. I think prices will settle around 55-60cpr (for 9mm). Availability is certainly increasing. Federal drops 9mm almost every morning, but I don’t think Vista will drop prices anytime soon, I don’t think they need to. My understanding is that all the lower priced ammo at big box stores like Cabelas is from old orders/contracts still set at lower prices. Once that dries up I think those stores will match the prices you see online direct from Federal (or other manufacturers). Hopefully that’s not the case, I’ve only been following the stores that have had the best prices over the past year, but that’s the pattern that I’ve noticed.

I just paid .40 cents per round for a case of Federal .45 ACP, while not as bad as what some are facing still, its the most I have ever given for a practice case of pistol ammo...Stuff is generally more available locally if you are willing to pay the asking price for it...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Economics, as much as I would like it to be different.
    Remember how awesome price controls stopped OPEC from hurting the US in the 70s?

I fully support price gouging.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List