Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Who is price gouging the ammo?

9mm seems to be on a downward trend since inauguration day. I've been tracking the average of the lowest 5 prices on ammoseek weekly for new brass fjm, and since a peak of over 0.70 in January, it has been below 0.40 for a month now.

Just updated my chart with today's sample.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  39.1 KB

This week is unusual;normally the bottom five is from factories in uh "Eastern" countries. Today, the sample includes some Federal 124 AE9AP from "Bucking Horse Outpost" (?) at $19/50:

https://buckinghorseoutpost.com/prod...0rds-per-box/#

I bought 6,000 rounds of 115 and 124 PMC from SGammo at $369/1000 this week. Bet we are regularly under $300 by Sept 1.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I can load it for about 0.16/rd but that's with components I've had for several years.
    You must be using expensive bullets, or maybe you're actually buying brass, or both? My 9mm costs 10.something cents/round.

125 grain blue bullets bought on Black Friday - 5.8 cents
    cci 500 primers bought on a free hazmat shipping + rebate deal - < 3 cents
    4 grains of VV N320 - <2 cents
    brass - free because I pick up more than I shoot after teardown at most matches I attend

Of course, I have to hope that by the time I run low on components, availability and pricing have come back to some semblance of sanity, so there is that...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I bought 6,000 rounds of 115 and 124 PMC from SGammo at $369/1000 this week. Bet we are regularly under $300 by Sept 1.
    Hopefully, primers will start showing up at normal-ish prices about that time too.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    You must be using expensive bullets, or maybe you're actually buying brass, or both? My 9mm costs 10.something cents/round.

125 grain blue bullets bought on Black Friday - 5.8 cents
    cci 500 primers bought on a free hazmat shipping + rebate deal - < 3 cents
    4 grains of VV N320 - <2 cents
    brass - free because I pick up more than I shoot after teardown at most matches I attend

Of course, I have to hope that by the time I run low on components, availability and pricing have come back to some semblance of sanity, so there is that...
    I'm using Zero FMJ bullets that cost about 0.10, .04 for primers and .02 for powder. That was just a rough estimate because I don't shop the sales and I honsetly don't know what the cost of any of that is because the powder and primer I've had for years. I know the primers were probably more like 0.03 when I bought them and the powder was probably $18/lb. All of my brass for .223, 45 and 9 mm is range pick up. Lately the brass supply has dried up but I'm set for a very long time, probably forever.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I think the “ammo surge” is, for the moment, in the rear-view mirror.

My LGS is telling me they’re receiving a shipment of two million rounds of Winchester 9mm in the next week. Ammo that had been sold to Germany, ended up at a wholesaler there, and is coming back. I would imagine that round-trip will add a few cents/round, but I expect reasonable pricing for it.

They are quite well stocked with a large amount of German GECO .223 Rem (brass cases and 55gr FMJ projectiles), apparently from the same source. I haven’t tried any of it in my 5.56 rifles, don’t need any, but imagine it would run fine. .22 LR is available at closer to a reasonable price too.

I noticed that there’s a lot of people shooting over the past few days- there was a 2.5-hour waiting time for the 100-yard indoor ranges yesterday, and the 25 yard range had a lot of groups of younger people renting their select-fire firearms (everything from M16’s to a Ma Deuce is available to rent, and just about everything in between- and now they have ample ammo for most of it). Back in January-April, ammo sales were limited to rentals only. Much better situation in terms of their inventory now.

That recent relative surge of rental shooters is perhaps partly due to the local culture’s frustration with fire-danger-related prohibitions on outdoor shooting and fireworks- the local community is really big on fireworks around the 4th and 24th of this month, and those are largely banned at the moment.

There are other signs that the “demand surge” is relaxing as well.

The shop has a much better firearms inventory as well- custom Wilson and other high-end AR’s, Agency Glocks, regular Glocks, everything autoloader S&W seems to be making, Walthers, Caniks, Nighthawks, even a freaking Korth revolver (of which they have sold a couple this past week (!)). And a good inventory of higher end electro-optics, Cloud Defensive and Modlights, Unity gear, Geissele gear, and Arisaka and Scalarworks mounts. Even a dang LAW folder or three. Almost looks pre-pandemic in there.

Similar story at a couple of other well managed local shops- but not the box stores, like Scheel’s or Sportsman’s Warehouse, quite yet.
    Last edited by Archer1440; 07-10-2021 at 06:50 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    9mm seems to be on a downward trend since inauguration day. I've been tracking the average of the lowest 5 prices on ammoseek weekly for new brass fjm, and since a peak of over 0.70 in January, it has been below 0.40 for a month now.

Just updated my chart with today's sample.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  39.1 KB

This week is unusual;normally the bottom five is from factories in uh "Eastern" countries. Today, the sample includes some Federal 124 AE9AP from "Bucking Horse Outpost" (?) at $19/50:

https://buckinghorseoutpost.com/prod...0rds-per-box/#
    RJ, how's the trend looking now?

Are we seeing sub $300 for a case of 9mm anywhere yet?

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    RJ, how's the trend looking now?

Are we seeing sub $300 for a case of 9mm anywhere yet?
    Not that I can tell. As of 10/1, the metric is hovering around 0.34/round ($340/case 1000), with some recent softening. This week's brand sample include Zincpoint (a Texas reseller, from what I can tell), Anatolian (Mexico?), Geco (part of RUAG Germany, I believe), and Winchester.

Name:  capture.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  41.0 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 10-03-2021 at 05:40 AM.

Local shops still have a lot of inventory they paid high prices for.......due to the lack of demand it is still hanging around...... and they're not putting out the cheaper stuff till the more expensive stuff is gone

Bob Ward's in Missoula today. Best pricing I have seen in a while.

Name:  IMG_4577.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  65.0 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List