Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have some great trigger control drills?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Also, if I could take back time I spent pulling the trigger with a coin/brass on a front sight, I would. It trains a completely unrealistic slow speed and, in my experience, doesn't translate into trigger control at faster speeds.
    That makes a ton of sense. All of my early trigger control was focused on fifty-yard Bullseye, and I spent many, many hours with dimes on top of 1911 front sights. For that game and that pistol, the drill is very useful. For other purposes and pistols, it may not be the best drill.

Good thread. I like the wall drill, and the others mentioned, the one by @HCM in particular.

I'm with @Greg. The "balance a coin" thing can be useful, especially if you are just starting out. One can focus on the simple (but hard to do) concept of isolating the gun movement, while pressing the trigger straight back.

I had this exact conversation with another new shooter recently. They were shooting normally, but rounds were landing low and away. When they shot all the rounds in the gun, and it was at slide lock, you could physically see the gun move low and away as they tried to break another shot. The realization followed that unwanted gun movement during the press was taking place. It was a light bulb moment. Since you can't correct a problem until you identify it, the coin trick thing is something you might get mileage out of if you are new. then you can move on to more advanced drills, mentioned above.

Site Supporter
    This is gonna sound odd, but the 10-8 extractor test has helped me with trigger control.

Loaded mag, rack a round in, take mag out, fire one shot with no mag in the gun, then press the trigger again on the empty chamber. If the gun or sight picture moved/swerved/dipped etc...you do ten dry fire presses.

Bear in mind this is not a drill to help you with rapid fire. Recoil control can sometimes be mistaken for a post ignition push. But for a beginner or hobbyist level shooter such as myself, it's a good way to verify that I'm not screwing up my trigger control.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Best dry fire trigger control drill.

Also, if I could take back time I spent pulling the trigger with a coin/brass on a front sight, I would. It trains a completely unrealistic slow speed and, in my experience, doesn't translate into trigger control at faster speeds.
    How is it done dryfire?

I did Vickers Command Fire drill yesterday(only difference is prepping the trigger) and was hitting 2 inch circles at 5 yards in .19 regularly.

Does your timer pick up snaps?

Appreciate everyone's comments, keep'em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    How is it done dryfire?

Just to be sure I understand the question: the question is about Ben's trigger control at speed drill, right?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

^^^
    Yes.

Eyesquared did describe it in post #6, it is a an aimed drill (unlike the wall drill) where you aim at the spot, and pull an unprepped trigger as soon as you hear the beep. The goal is to finish the press before the beep ends without disturbing the sights. An add-on element is to press the trigger with an excessive force (give or take twice the trigger poundage) because that's what often happens in rapid fire. People tend to slam triggers back hard. It is done single action, double action, and I found it to be very challenging one handed.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Does your timer pick up snaps?
    In case it helps: My AMG Labs Commander timer will indeed pick up dry trigger presses on my Glock 19. I have a "dry practice" preset profile with the sensitivity set to the highest possible value.

https://www.amg-lab.com/

^^^
    Yes.
    My timer doesn't pick up dry fire, so I just have to try and judge whether or not I'm beating the end of the beep by ear. It can be hard to tell so if I'm not sure I'll video it on my phone and listen to it a couple times to see.

All that being said I don't think it's super important how you handle the timer part of this drill. So long as you achieve the intent of breaking the shot at a fast pace, then this will be helpful.

Found some DoTW's from Gabe that I've found helpful in the past. May actually run this a bit in dryfire this week given less live fire recently as a result of ammo prices...

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Three-Triggers

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Meet-Trigger-1

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Meet-Trigger-2

User Tag List