Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson M-19 (New Model)

Smith & Wesson M-19 (New Model)

Just scratched a new itch to add to my S&W collection. Picked up a new 4" M19. I have to say that this new pistol holds very little kinship to the old sleek 4" M19 I have. The gun seems bulkier than even the older 586 and the cylinder is actually about .040" longer and the top strap is wider. It is a beast of a .357, comparable to the M-28, and should probably last a lifetime.

Shot it some, today, out to 50 yards but conditions weren't right for serious grouping attempts. Have some stout loaded 158 grain cast loads it seems to like very well and showed NO barrel leading. Action on the pistol is quite smooth with only a very slight sensation of stacking.

I appreciate S&W bringing back the "classic" revolvers but these new ones aren't very loyal to the old ones. If you're wanting a new production of the old guns, you'll be disappointed. These new revolvers need to be judged on their own features, not compared to the old ones, and for that, I like them.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivantheterrible View Post
    Just scratched a new itch to add to my S&W collection. Picked up a new 4" M19. I have to say that this new pistol holds very little kinship to the old sleek 4" M19 I have. The gun seems bulkier than even the older 586 and the cylinder is actually about .040" longer and the top strap is wider. It is a beast of a .357, comparable to the M-28, and should probably last a lifetime.

Shot it some, today, out to 50 yards but conditions weren't right for serious grouping attempts. Have some stout loaded 158 grain cast loads it seems to like very well and showed NO barrel leading. Action on the pistol is quite smooth with only a very slight sensation of stacking.

I appreciate S&W bringing back the "classic" revolvers but these new ones aren't very loyal to the old ones. If you're wanting a new production of the old guns, you'll be disappointed. These new revolvers need to be judged on their own features, not compared to the old ones, and for that, I like them.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    All that and no photos.

Here’s a VERY detailed discussion of the new Model 19: https://youtu.be/4h9l2ipiKf4
    He has me convinced. I hope you enjoy your new revolver! 👍

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    All that and no photos.
    ^^^^ This. Very much this.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Here’s a VERY detailed discussion of the new Model 19: https://youtu.be/4h9l2ipiKf4
    MAC also has a video on YT going through the differences.

You asked for pics - you got it!

From top to bottom: M28, M19, M586, early .38spl Combat Masterpiece (before model 15 designation)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I really appreciated you posting that link to the video. That's a VERY different take than "all Smith and Wessons made after X DATE are crap."

Does anybody know if all the changes discussed in that video are also true of the new Model 66-8 guns?

For a field pistol, I'll stick with my 4" GP100. I would only save 3 oz going with the Model 19. But I've been giving the 2.75" Model 66-8 some serious thought lately as a town gun.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I really appreciated you posting that link to the video. That's a VERY different take than "all Smith and Wessons made after X DATE are crap."

Does anybody know if all the changes discussed in that video are also true of the new Model 66-8 guns?

For a field pistol, I'll stick with my 4" GP100. I would only save 3 oz going with the Model 19. But I've been giving the 2.75" Model 66-8 some serious thought lately as a town gun.
    @03RN

Thanks for the link. Learned a lot from it. Over the years, I have seen several of the issues with S&W revolvers he talked about. Always loved the revolvers but looked at them as somewhat fragile. I have, since I was a kid, a big fan of the .44 mag and still have my 4" M29 that I got in the mid 70s. However, I also kept around a Ruger Super Blackhawk for rough use like carrying on the tractor (always great reduction of boredom to stop and knock off a groundhog occasionally).

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Ive been really pleased with mine. It's hold up to a steady diet of magnums. Its very accurate and easy to shoot well. Its also very comfortable to carry.

User Tag List