Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recomend a 9mm size / deprime die for Dillon

The Redding Competition Pro set 58172 might get you there. The set has a carbide sizing die, which is also available separately as 87172. The die set is specifically meant for progressive machines with radii sized for easy case entry into the die.

You can’t ever go wrong with Redding dies.

In 9mm, I have Hornady and Dillon, and they both produce wasp waisted rounds.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    You can’t ever go wrong with Redding dies.

In 9mm, I have Hornady and Dillon, and they both produce wasp waisted rounds.
    Forgot about Redding, I do like the set screw on the lock ring.
    Taking a break from social media.

Is this what we are talking about? These have been through the Lee that I had to glue back together.

Name:  Wasp.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  32.1 KB

They do look straight at the top, that is probably the transition point where the insert topped out when it was pulled out.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Working up a subsonic load on the D650 using a Berry's 147 HHP, paired with Unique. Issue is, for those not familiar with the Dillon 9mm size /deprime die, it creates an hour glass shape. This is a common and known occurrence, also known as wasp waist.
    It's not common or known to me. I use a Dillon sizer/depriming die, and RCBS seating and taper crimp dies in my Dillon.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Name:  7DB8E835-E607-4BF7-82A5-5968374B323A.thumb.jpeg.e366b1c014eeaf29bd611c11ee1dce8c.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  49.8 KB

Learn something new every day.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Learn something new every day.
    OK, but mine don't look or measure out like that.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Carbide 9mm dies generally have a full case length carbide insert. 9mm is a tapered case of course, and this is the reason many 9mm carbide sizing dies are on the pricey side. 45 acp can use a shorter sizing ring because the case is straight-walled. I use an elderly Hornady Durachrome carbide sizer for my cases, it's at least 30 years old, but it lacks the big radius at the die mouth that everybody wants for their progressive presses. I don't like the late model progressive press style sizing dies because I want the entire case length sized.

Oddly, I went back to using steel sizing dies for straight wall revolver cases, even though it means I have to lube them. I primarily shoot PC cast bullets in revolvers and hate to see my cases al end up under-sized from carbide sizing rings. I figure I have to tumble the cases anyway, so it's no big deal.

User Tag List