Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peaceful protesters

People have seen what happens to people that defend themselves. You will probably be arrested and spend a few thousand in legal fees even if the charges are dropped. Then you will have to worry about being doxed and people showing up to your house or place of work.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for providing context.
    While nothing warrants offensively breaking windows in a stationary vehicle, it seems less like a randomly selected target.
    It seems to me that the fear and outrage that comes out of viewing videos like this result from the assumption that the victim was selected by the ANTIFA assholes almost randomly. That assumption makes it all that much more unacceptable.
    Having perspective that the recipient of the violence and intimidation was someone that showed up to “play the game” can give some reassurance that there is a way to significantly reduce the likelihood of such a thing happening to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Some context would be useful here and there's little available just yet, but here's what appears to have happened:

Incident takes place in Clark Park, Philly. Proud Boys for the last couple weeks circulate a bunch of digital flyers for a PB rally to take place here; they later claim it was a hoax designed to entice Antifa out and that they (PB) never planned to attend.

Community members and counterprotesters/Antifa show up but no PBs. Conservative media pundit covering the rally gets heckled by locals/CPs/Antifa mob, during which anonymous dude who some report is PB-type, others say is a counterprotester mistaken for PB-type, approaches scene from the side with a bat or rod and bangs the pavement with it, and mob-focus turns to him.

Conservative pundit and anonymous dude get chased off the scene, and most report the vehicle getting bashed by Antifa (or Antifa wannabe) shitheads is anonymous dude in case of (deeply ironic, if true) mistaken identity or dumbass agitator who looked for some trouble and found it.

Point being, at least so far it doesn't appear to be Antifa thugs targeting blameless good citizens; doesn't justify the behavior at all, just not gonna get too stirred up over it if as reported. Something about stupid games...a prize...something.

Not ideal sources based on their framing, but they're best available at present...

https://www.inquirer.com/news/proud-...-20200919.html

https://www.rt.com/usa/501177-antifa...rs-attack-dog/

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I wanna know what you'll be drinking...
    Haven’t thought that far ahead. 18 year Scotch? A nice bourbon?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Haven’t thought that far ahead. 18 year Scotch? A nice bourbon?
    Can't fault your thinking...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'm not afraid, and the only "outrage" I have is this is allowed to go on unchecked in direct dereliction of duty by those appointed or elected to uphold and enforce the rule of law. Flip the script and let any group that doesnt like the left wing terrorists goad them into the open at one of their events so they can attack them at will. I absolutely agree that showing up is stupid, but I've physically held the line between these types before, and as long as it's idiots shouting at each other I dont care. Go ahead and get your first amendment on. Once it involves physical attacks, then it's enforcement time. If not, who knows what speech will be next on the list for attack? Unless the violence used on someone is lawful self defense/defense of an innocent third party or enforcement of the law, then it is criminal and needs to be treated as such. I'm not into victim blaming. I am okay with pointing out that folks are often the architect of their own demise, however, no one deserves to be beaten, maimed, killed, or having their property destroyed because they have a differing point of view. Or making a bad choice. God knows I'd probably be in a coma or the grave if the latter were true.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    I am okay with pointing out that folks are often the architect of their own demise, however, no one deserves to be beaten, maimed, killed, or having their property destroyed because they have a differing point of view.
    I concur 100%.

I’m getting tired of the whole “don’t go because these assholes will be violent” mindset. So we don’t go which allows them the victory of knowing they were successful in using violence to silence dissent. How very anti-fascist of them. The whole practice of ceding ground for the sake of keeping the peace has been working just great so far eh?
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

A cashier in a store I visited this afternoon had a Black Lives Matter face mask on. My immediate thought was this cashier supports terrorism and this store manager allows their employees to promote terrorists.

But I’m probably racist for thinking that.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I didn't see any protesting, or any claim to be peaceful. Those were just criminal assholes.
    Doesn’t seem any different from any other black lives matters protests I’ve seen.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    One day those pathetic cowards will do that to someone who will get out and drop everyone of them. And I hope it’s on video. And I will raise a glass to salute the cleansing of the gene pool.
    It will be a real tragedy if this happens. Very sad for the loss of life of the rioters. Very sad for their families. Sad for the additional property damage and physical harm that will occur from follow up rioting in response. Sad for the defender who is forced to ruin their lives and go into hiding after they are criminally cleared.

It will be a tragedy like September 11th was a tragedy, but that didn’t stop me from cheering when Osama bin Ladin was killed. So I’ll be with you, raising a glass as well, in spite of it simultaneously being tragic. In the hopes that this event, while tragic, cuts out the bullshit going forward when the rioters realize there are real consequences for their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    I concur 100%.

I’m getting tired of the whole “don’t go because these assholes will be violent” mindset. So we don’t go which allows them the victory of knowing they were successful in using violence to silence dissent. How very anti-fascist of them. The whole practice of ceding ground for the sake of keeping the peace has been working just great so far eh?
    What's the answer, then? Showing up ready to answer violence with violence isn't exactly a good look, either. It hasn't done wonders for the image of the proud boys, after all.

User Tag List