Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .38 Specials Shooting and Loading.

.38 Specials Shooting and Loading.

Due to the current ammo situation I have been loading some ammo for some people and had to go test some loads I put together.

First and very importantly this post would not be possible without the generous karma gift of the chrono from @Paul D a few years back when my own chrono died. So a BIG thanks to PAUL D!

The load tested was 4.7 grains of Unique and a 148 grain hard cast SWC from Rim Rock.

The 1&7/8ths" S&W 442 they averaged 750 fps (749.8).

Accuracy at 7 yards was fair enough, considering I was just test firing.

The 4" Model 15 Combat Masterpiece they averaged 820 fps.

The 6" Colt Official Police they averaged a hair under 900 fps(897.5).

The old Official Police still plunks the right in there.

Overall the SWCs will make a good J Frame load for friends who need it. I am about to do the same load 4.7 grains and substitute the 148 SWC for a 148 wadcutter and crank out about 500+ of them for friends who carry J Frames. Should be the same velocity. Good little pocket gun load.

Rim Rock makes some nice looking hard cast bullets.

Site Supporter
    38 special is one of my favorite cartridges to handload for. Especially with my coming around to the J frame as a "not terrible" choice for a carry gun.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I too am a fan of the 158 grain LSWC in a 38 Special.

Name:  IMG_3320.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3321.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  47.8 KB
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Nice! You’re a true gentleman of those in need...

I’m a “5.2gr Unique” kinda guy myself.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Love the 442 grip mod.

I used a piece of split rubber hose and taped it on with electrical tape.

More for proper trigger reach than recoil reduction, because it didn't.

I have used a strip of EVA foam in the past with much success. This last time I just grabbed a strip of leather and wrapped it in hockey tape. It has been on there a while and while it is not as cushion-y as the foam back strap, it still does the job of mitigating recoil in the J Frame.

This 750 FPS load seems to be the sweet spot for hot enough to do the job, but not too hot to make recoil an issue. Shooting the 442 was not unreasonable with it.

Entropy, 5.2 grains would be a pretty stout load for a J Frame. My carpal tunnel might object a bit to that one ! The old Combat Masterpiece would probably love it though, as would the old Official Police. That old gun has a pretty heavy frame and could take a lot more than I have ever put through it.

A guy’s gotta do, what a guy’s gotta do, but that’s pretty shabby looking. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, but it looks like you’re going to rob the 7-Eleven. 😆 I’ve used black Gorilla brand duct tape, but it REALLY sticks once applied. 😉
    ETA: I am in NO WAY criticizing what you’ve done, nor the reasons for doing it. It just wasn’t what I was expecting to see tonight, and looks like a Saturday Night Special from the 70’s Those are great groupings, BTW.

Name:  JwrZlKB.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  36.0 KB
    Last edited by FrankB; 09-19-2020 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    A guy’s gotta do, what a guy’s gotta do, but that’s pretty shabby looking. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, but it looks like you’re going to rob the 7-Eleven. 😆 I’ve used black Gorilla brand duct tape, but it REALLY sticks once applied. 😉

Name:  JwrZlKB.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  36.0 KB
    The flip side of that is that your chances of getting burned as being a cop when someone sees your piece are pretty slim. Not a concern these days, but still "reasons"..

hashtag hockeytape is tactical

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Nice! You’re a true gentleman of those in need...

I’m a “5.2gr Unique” kinda guy myself.
    5.2 under a rimrock 158gr swc-wn is my go to .38 load too

User Tag List