Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: .38 Specials Shooting and Loading.

Site Supporter
    For a number of years my favorite "plinking" load for a 4-5/8" Flat-top 357 Blackhawk (3-screw of course) was the Lyman/Keith 170g SWC cast from wheel-weights, over 10.5g 2400. Milder in recoil than a full tilt Magnum it still hit hard and would stay on a paper plate at 100 yards if I sat down and rested my arms on my knees. Busted a lot of desert rocks and Prickly Pear pads with that load.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I too am a fan of the 158 grain LSWC in a 38 Special.

Attachment 60641

Attachment 60642
    What kind of velocity are you seeing with that? Any issues with leading?

I loaded some up with 3.5gr of 231 and felt they were OK but im always happy to broaden my horizons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Few will get that reference..
    I'm under age 30 and I "got it" But im also hanging out in a revolver subforum, so...

Site Supporter
    In addition to loaded ammo, leave the little ones primed brass and powder in a sealed can. Have bullets in another can.

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    What kind of velocity are you seeing with that? Any issues with leading?

I loaded some up with 3.5gr of 231 and felt they were OK but im always happy to broaden my horizons.
    I don't have a chrono so my info is straight from the book. These should run in the 800-850 fps range. I've not had any issues with leading as these bullets are fairly hard cast.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    With the exception of my Dillon equipment, every single press I have has been picked up used. Garage sale finds, classifieds, etc. They can last about forever in most normal environments, so buying used is a great way to pick stuff up.

Turret presses like the old Lyman All American are great.

Here is a pic of the top end,

My .308 dies are pretty much permanently screwed into it, and the other stations are currently 30-06, but every now and then get swapped out. I might replace the 30-06 with 6.5 Manbun. Since they all take the same shell plate, it is always ready to run.

Those old Lyman All Americans can be found now and then for pretty darn good prices compared to new stuff. Same with the RCBS version.

Keep an eye on the local classifieds and estate sales!
    I'm jealous of your seating die.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I too am a fan of the 158 grain LSWC in a 38 Special.

Attachment 60642
    From a 4" barrel, what kind of velocity are you getting from that load?

I have 1000 Lyman mould 158gr LSWC and I am gonna use HP38, with either S&B or CCI SPP. Looking to make a load right around 800fps

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post

I have 1000 Lyman mould 158gr LSWC and I am gonna use HP38, with either S&B or CCI SPP. Looking to make a load right around 800fps
    As best I recall the book placed it around 800-850-ish. I don’t have a chrome so I’ve not been able to verify.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post

Going from memory, 4.3 grains of 231 ran about 825 fps from my 4” M10-8.

Will I be safe ALSO loading a Berry's 158gr plated FLAT POINT to 4.5grs HP38/231?

Safe in that I can shoot these with confidence in my mid 50s steel K-frames?

User Tag List