Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I adjust the sights or is it me that’s wrong?

I am not much of a Glock fan so this is easy for me to say. I'd probably skip Glocks. They are fine guns but, if you have to concentrate on a particular grip to shoot it well, I just don't see that as a good idea. There are way to many other brands out there. My wife happens to shoot her G19-4 just fine but neither of us really likes it so I got a PX4compact to try. I shoot it fine but she has the opposite problem to yours. She shoots it to the right. Tried it on 3 range sessions, always to the right, but just fine w/ the G19 or her Beretta EII. So the PX4 is a backup carry gun for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I am not much of a Glock fan so this is easy for me to say. I'd probably skip Glocks. They are fine guns but, if you have to concentrate on a particular grip to shoot it well, I just don't see that as a good idea. There are way to many other brands out there. My wife happens to shoot her G19-4 just fine but neither of us really likes it so I got a PX4compact to try. I shoot it fine but she has the opposite problem to yours. She shoots it to the right. Tried it on 3 range sessions, always to the right, but just fine w/ the G19 or her Beretta EII. So the PX4 is a backup carry gun for me.
    Man, I feel the same. Especially since I have no problems bouncing between the triggers of other guns; 1911s, SIGs, MPs, etc. But Glocks aren’t going anywhere and I keep hearing how dots are the future and I don’t see a more financially appropriate way of finding out if dots are for me than a G19 MOS. Either spend $2-500 in slide work for a gun that I already have or spend $500 on the easiest gun in the world to sell if I need to. If I end up not pursuing dots long term I won’t be totally out the cost of milling a slide. Also, I’m hesitant about stacking a dot on top of my already (very) tall P229 carry gun.

Plus, until picking this up, I only had about 50 rnds, cumulatively, through Glock products. Figured it would be a good step in my education to become proficient with Glock products. And advice given was to learn one new thing at a time; Glock first and then dots.

So that’s my whole train of thought.
    ETA and the G19 is just a range gun to learn on. Not carrying it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Man, I feel the same. Especially since I have no problems bouncing between the triggers of other guns; 1911s, SIGs, MPs, etc. But Glocks aren’t going anywhere and I keep hearing how dots are the future and I don’t see a more financially appropriate way of finding out if dots are for me than a G19 MOS. Either spend $2-500 in slide work for a gun that I already have or spend $500 on the easiest gun in the world to sell if I need to. If I end up not pursuing dots long term I won’t be totally out the cost of milling a slide. Also, I’m hesitant about stacking a dot on top of my already (very) tall P229 carry gun.

Plus, until picking this up, I only had about 50 rnds, cumulatively, through Glock products. Figured it would be a good step in my education to become proficient with Glock products. And advice given was to learn one new thing at a time; Glock first and then dots.

So that’s my whole train of thought.
    ETA and the G19 is just a range gun to learn on. Not carrying it.
    Removing as many variables as possible to learn the dot is a good idea. However, SIG sells P229s with the Sig Rimeo1 Pro installed and it would likely be a better choice than a Glock. As would a sig p320.

The Romeo1 Pro is the 3rd generation of Sig Romeo, it uses a DPP footprint and has proven reliable in our testing. As noted in other threads, ICE is issuing this RDS on P320s for SRT team use with no optic related issues so far.

I've recently rekindled my lifelong love affair with 1911s, and I find that mixing 1911s and GLOCKS is bad for both platforms. When mixing 1911s and Glocks I either push the crap out of the Glock trigger shooting low and left, or smash the shit out of my poor 1911s "cheater" trigger.

Some of this also comes down to the dreaded grip shape and angle. The Glock grip has never "felt" or "pointed" naturally for me, even though I have more rounds in training through Glocks than all other platforms combined, probably by a factor of 5 or 8:1. Trigger reach is another issue that affects different shooters differently.

I will point out, though, that other forum members have no trouble switching back and forth between Glocks and 1911s - just look at JHC's outstanding shooting with both platforms and you'll see that both can be simultaneously mastered if you want to do it.

I've found it significantly easier to transition between 1911 and traditional DA/SA pistols - specifically having great results going back and forth between 1911s and the HK P2000. But, as you've pointed out, neither is easy or inexpensive to "dot" with. As a final thought, my recently acquired Sig P365XL has been a real pleasure to shoot, and easy to mount a 507K onto, so if you really want to try the dot life, it's only a few shekels more than a G19.

OBTW, to answer your actual question, adjust the sights. I've spent years and years trying to train folks into the perfect grip and trigger placement on Glocks, with great results, until I put them under stress on a timer, at which point the trigger mashing shows low-left-itis again. Nudge the sights, and that goes away.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Removing as many variables as possible to learn the dot is a good idea. However, SIG sells P229s with the Sig Rimeo1 Pro installed and it would likely be a better choice than a Glock. As would a sig p320.

The Romeo1 Pro is the 3rd generation of Sig Romeo, it uses a DPP footprint and has proven reliable in our testing. As noted in other threads, ICE is issuing this RDS on P320s for SRT team use with no optic related issues so far.
    Man, no offense to anyone, but, quite frankly SIG quit existing to me as an option after about 2005. I love their classics but don’t see them as a direction to go for anything new. I have been bitten twice by their QC and, if I’m going polymer, if I’m not going Glock, I’m going HK, CZ, or M&P before I go 320. I just don’t like who they are as a company now.

I appreciate the suggestion though.

Man, no offense to anyone, but, quite frankly SIG quit existing to me as an option after about 2005. I love their classics but don’t see them as a direction to go for anything new. I have been bitten twice by their QC and, if I’m going polymer, if I’m not going Glock, I’m going HK, CZ, or M&P before I go 320. I just don’t like who they are as a company now.

The new M&P Core 2.0 Compact is as close to a G19 in size as you're likely to find, and is getting some love around here from folks who change platforms the way the rest of us change socks... The VP9 is super cool, but the one I had did precisely nothing for me that a G19 didn't do. The P10C I shot 100 or so rounds through, on the other hand, was easily the most accurate striker fired pistol I've ever shot. Got a LOT of trigger "slap" from it, but it was an early model, so that might have been "evolved" out of the platform, and, of course, it's now available in an OR configuration.

Site Supporter

CZ P07 - TDA to TDA

Ron Avery helped me greatly when he and Travis Haley demonstrated the 'Triggerstripe drill', and Avery went on to describe the importance of the relative position of the trigger finger at the moment of the shot.

https://www.recoilweb.com/haley-strategic-tigerstripe-drill-videos-inside-5805.html

It was only following that new awareness that I came to appreciate the real benefit (for me) of a 'large' beavertail backstrap on a gen4 Glock.

Banned
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why isn't it as simple to shoot the gun using a rest of some kind for your hand and see if the shots are still to the left. I always do that when I first shoot a new gun or replace sights on a gun. I like to know that the gun is "sighted" properly, or if not, and I can't adjust the sights at that point in time, I will at least have some idea where to hold to make the best shots.

Why would that not be better than having some "known good Glock shooter" or anything else to determine why you are shooting left ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HJB View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why isn't it as simple to shoot the gun using a rest of some kind for your hand and see if the shots are still to the left. I always do that when I first shoot a new gun or replace sights on a gun. I like to know that the gun is "sighted" properly, or if not, and I can't adjust the sights at that point in time, I will at least have some idea where to hold to make the best shots.

Why would that not be better than having some "known good Glock shooter" or anything else to determine why you are shooting left ?
    Because the most likely problem is my finger is pushing the gun. I don’t have access to a ransom rest and just resting the gun on something only stabilizes the sights. I would still push the gun.

Caveat emptor: I have not tried it so it may be exactly what I need to do.

Issue is still unsolved. Using the “more finger” answer still leads to shooting L and high. I feel like the fundamentals are there as I don’t see the sights moving and using the same fundamentals gives me a 1” 10 shot group at 7 yds using my usual guns (P229 and 1911s) and a similarly tight and centered group using a MP shield, P2022, GP100, and XD. Now I can get about 2 shots at poi (using a rolling pull on the 19s trigger but that’s super slow) with the rest about 2-3 inches high an L. Total group about 2.5 in spread.

User Tag List