Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I adjust the sights or is it me that’s wrong?

Site Supporter

Should I adjust the sights or is it me that’s wrong?

So I know that sounds like a stupid question. But just picked up a G 19.5. And I am shooting it about 6 inches to the left at 25 yards. Groups are pretty good, about 5 inches for 10 rounds minus two called flyers (I’m a low 90s-high-80s B8 at 25 shooter). Ameriglo Bolds were put on at the store as it came with the regular sights. And they seem to be centered up when looking at them on the gun, so I was wondering if it was me. Shooting successive groups with my 229 and 1911, everything was centered (93 w 2X and 93 w 1X). So on one hand, I’m pretty sure that the sights are off. I’m unfamiliar with Glocks, though, and everything I read seems to point to low and left impacts being the shooters fault. I’m perfectly on, vertically, just left about 6 inches.

Figured I’d consult the Instructors prior to getting out the sight pusher.

ETA: 3 in off at 15 yds and 1-2 off at 7. I’m getting some MARSOC buddies to shoot it next week to see if the problem follows the gun or stays with the shooter. I wouldn’t have posted this if I had thought of that sooner but don’t know how to delete threads.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    So I know that sounds like a stupid question. But just picked up a G 19.5. And I am shooting it about 6 inches to the left at 25 yards. Groups are pretty good, about 5 inches for 10 rounds minus two called flyers (I’m a low 90s-high-80s B8 at 25 shooter). Ameriglo Bolds were put on at the store as it came with the regular sights. And they seem to be centered up when looking at them on the gun, so I was wondering if it was me. Shooting successive groups with my 229 and 1911, everything was centered (93 w 2X and 93 w 1X). So on one hand, I’m pretty sure that the sights are off. I’m unfamiliar with Glocks, though, and everything I read seems to point to low and left impacts being the shooters fault. I’m perfectly on, vertically, just left about 6 inches.

ETA: 3 in off at 15 yds and 1-2 off at 7. I’m getting some MARSOC buddies to shoot it next week to see if the problem follows the gun or stays with the shooter. I wouldn’t have posted this if I had thought of that sooner but don’t know how to delete threads.
    I am not sure there is six inches of deflection in a rear Glock dovetail. Definitely have others shoot it, but in the meantime try more and less trigger finger, starting with more.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post

There are grip and trigger finger engagement issues unique to the Glock which can push shots to 9 o'clock or 10/11 o'clock with a right handed shooter but before getting into the weeds check the following.

1) Is the rear sight centered ?
    2) It the front sight straight ? There is play in the front sight slot interface. If one is not careful it is easy to "clock" a Glock Front sight when tightening the front sight screw.
    3) Shoot the gun left handed. If it suddenly shoots to the right instead of the left it's a shooter issue.
    4) Have a known competent Glock shooter (not just a competent shooter, but a Glock shooter) shoot the gun.

Glocks are somewhat unique and are particularly sensitive to grip variations. the shape of the stock trigger (curved as viewed from the top) also requires adaptation. This is why flat triggers are so popular in Glocks. Like LEM, shooting a Glock well usually requires primarily shooting Glocks. IME most people trying to switch back an forth between Glocks and other platforms limit their potential performance with both.

Also feels good, doesn't equal shoots good. you need to try all 3 sizes of grip and see how they effect your results. Personally I get the best performance with the med backstrap on G17s and the large on G19s.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-19-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not sure there is six inches of deflection in a rear Glock dovetail. Definitely have others shoot it, but in the meantime try more and less trigger finger, starting with more.
    That is the classic PatMac advice:

Grip angle and shape (backstrap hump) are part of the "Glocks shoot left" myth, the other part is the trigger.

Rather than re-invent the wheel, if you want to understand why trigger finger placement matters so much on Glocks I'll just re-post the excellent video by PF-member @Surf :

Last edited by HCM; 09-19-2020 at 03:22 PM.

I’d bet every dollar in my wallet that your index is off when shooting that Glock. Rotate the gun in your shooting hand so that the rear sight is closer to your base thumb knuckle. Shoot another 10 round group at 25 yds. Repeat the process until your groups are where you want them to be. Congratulations, you now have the index you need to shoot that gun.

It’s taken me years to figure that out. YMMV.

As to shooting, I think the guys above covered it; I've followed their advice. But I still have to work on trigger control on my G19.5. Having someone else shoot it is probably a good idea.

(By chance are you a lefty?)

Anyway, speaking solely for the numbers, I knocked up a quick spreadsheet using the law of similar triangles to predict how moving the rear sight would affect the downrange position. Somebody can check my math, but if d is the rear sight deflection, and Sr is the Sight Radius, and D is the Deflection downrange, with R being range in yards, then I work out D = d x R / Sr? If so, about 0.040" shift of the rear sight appears to move the predicted impact over about 6", FWIW.

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-09-19 18-59-14.png
Views: 557
Size:  36.7 KB

(I measured the actual sight radius on my G19.5 from the rear of the front sight to the rear of the rear sight, approximately 5.8".)

Site Supporter
    I don't have the technical terms right, I'm sure, because I'm far from expert, but I can shoot a Glock reasonably well, but it takes an entirely different grip over say a 1911 or Beretta 92 (which is my usual piece). I do find that I shoot almost anything with more finger on the trigger, but especially 92's and Glock.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Anyway, speaking solely for the numbers, I knocked up a quick spreadsheet using the law of similar triangles to predict how moving the rear sight would affect the downrange position. Somebody can check my math, but if d is the rear sight deflection, and Sr is the Sight Radius, and D is the Deflection downrange, with R being range in yards, then I work out D = d x R / Sr? If so, about 0.040" shift of the rear sight appears to move the predicted impact over about 6", FWIW.

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-09-19 18-59-14.png
Views: 557
Size:  36.7 KB

(I measured the actual sight radius on my G19.5 from the rear of the front sight to the rear of the rear sight, approximately 5.8".)
    The rear sight being 0.040 off center would be massively obvious. That's ~1mm. That much off center would mean a 2mm difference side to side. As @GJM said, there may not be that much adjustment available. I don't have a Glock to go look at anymore.

This is making me think it's more the shooter than the gun. When I swapped sights on my G34, I just used calipers to make sure the rear was centered. It was right on when shooting.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I’ve seen those videos. I’m sure you guys are right. I’m a finger pad on the shoe kinda guy. That’s from the precision rifle and 1911 games. I did rent a 19 at an indoor range and didn’t have a left problem; that’s the only thing confusing me.

Site Supporter
    Sigh.....you guys were right. I was pushing R to L on the blade if the trigger safety. Although at first we thought it was the gun since I shot pretty straight with a 19 and 35 the guy I was shooting with brought. But then he was on with my 19. So not the gun. Consciously feeling the L edge of that safety brought everything back to the center.

Then I absolutely sucked at 25. So practice is in order if I want to go Glock.

User Tag List