Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Humble Brag Happy Trade (Colt 6920 for CMP M1 Garand)

Site Supporter
    Congratulations on the successful trade.
    Garands are keepers.
    Got this Winchester ‘42 Garand from the DCM in ‘89.Name:  9BB6FBB9-7F77-4441-AFD4-87FBFF4CAFF8.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  58.5 KB

Got the Dupage laminated stock installed with the help and tools of my local smith. All in all, the process is straightforward once understood but not intuitive. I am glad I watched videos on the process and had my local smith help. I also replaced the operating rod spring, cleaned every part, and lubed/greased the rifle. I was a bit concerned about stock fit, but the stock did not need to be relieved in any manner. It was also a very tight fit, which is good for repeated accuracy. I would do more business with Dupage in a heartbeat. I now need to zero again due to the stock replacement.

I was able to acquire 144 rounds of "clipped" Greek M2 ball in bandoliers, so I have plenty of ammo for how I want to use the rifle.

Garands are so cool. I need to load up some more M2 ball equivalent for mine.

Ironically, I just sighted in a Ruger 77 in .30-'06 on Sunday, and the only ammo I had on hand was... M2 Ball handloads. So, my scoped bolt-action hunting rifle is now zeroed for M2 Ball @ 200 yards :P

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The spam can that came with it is Greek ammo with a steel core. I will probably get some commercial M2 Ball and a few en bloc clips for the maiden run, so as to not have any range issues with the steel core and to provide fodder for reloads. Privi Partizan makes a M2 ball load that seems to get good reviews, so I will hunt some of that. Like most ammo now, it is unobtanium. That is fine as I need to add a few supplies, including .30-'06 dies.
    FWIW, the Greek stuff may have corrosive primers. When I was shooting my Mosins a bit, I went to the range with a transmission funnel and a couple of canteens of water. I'd jam the end of the funnel into the chamber, pour the water through, follow that with a dry patch or two and then an oiled one.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

This post has me thinking about selling some of the guns I don't really use that I would have previously had to sell at such a significant loss that it was never worth it. Maybe with the market being what it is I can get decent prices for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    FWIW, the Greek stuff may have corrosive primers. When I was shooting my Mosins a bit, I went to the range with a transmission funnel and a couple of canteens of water. I'd jam the end of the funnel into the chamber, pour the water through, follow that with a dry patch or two and then an oiled one.
    Thank you for the warning. I was not aware that the Greek ammo may have corrosive primers. I do not believe the spam cam from 1978 did based on my experience. I did clean it after shooting and again when I swapped stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    This post has me thinking about selling some of the guns I don't really use that I would have previously had to sell at such a significant loss that it was never worth it. Maybe with the market being what it is I can get decent prices for it.
    Prices on obvious self-defense stuff have really increased. Like 20% increased. Prices on more "sporting" items like bolt-action rifles have held steady. "Tactical" items like a Remington 700 5-R in .308 are now selling above MSRP ($1250 for a rifle that Remington has a MSRP of $1122). When I inquired about the price increase as that same rifle sat for a year at less than $1,000, I was told told that there are no more at distributors and any future rifles will cost even more. That makes sense to me looking online at inventory for sale.

So depending upon what is being sold and what is being bought, now may be a good time to unload unused items.

User Tag List