Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humble Brag Happy Trade (Colt 6920 for CMP M1 Garand)

Humble Brag Happy Trade (Colt 6920 for CMP M1 Garand)

With the current craze, I have decided to unload firearms that 1) I am not using, and 2) have appreciated in value more than common sense suggests should be the case. The idea is to use the proceeds to buy higher end firearms. I usually do this by sending everything to a FFL friend of mine in Texas who lists and sells them. He takes a percentage for his work, but it saves me the hassle and insures everything sold has a paper trail. That works really well with handguns, but shipping costs for long guns are prohibitive. I ship everything using a local FFL (who has right of first refusal on everything) as he allows me to ship FedEx at his cost. In any event, long guns tend to not make it to Texas due to the expense of shipping combined with the fact that long guns look like, well, long guns. Having a weapon disappear during the shipping process is a recurring nightmare.

In any event, I decided to unload a NIB Colt LE 6920. It was NIB as my wife and I had other ARs to shoot. My wife has a S&W M&P Sport with an Eotech she loves, and I have a Centurion upper built by Monte on a BCM lower with an Aimpoint COMP M4 that is my carbine of choice. I also have a few more ARs, including one set up for coyotes and one for deer. So the 6920 was excess to my needs. I decided to explore options a bit and see if I could trade the 6920 for something more desirable. And did I find something.

A fellow Alabamian who is a retired LEO was looking for a 6920 and offered a M1 Garand in trade. Not just any U.S. Rifle, Cal. .30 M1 either; this one was CMP rifle in a CMP hard case. The rifle was a 1944 Springfield with a Springfield barrel. The wood appears to be a later addition to the rifle. The trade offer also included a "spam can" of M2 ball in bandoliers with en bloc clips, a repro 1907 sling, and a CMP-sourced bayonet still in cosmoline. The rifle shipped from the CMP on 25-APR-2018. So it sold for about what I paid for the 6920 in 2015. The gentleman with whom I traded got a desirable AR without spending a fortune (Colt AR prices locally have increased beyond comprehension), and I got a piece of history. I did not need a M1 Garand, but I do enjoy the rifles both for the role in history and for the machining and woodworking. No more will be made unlike the 6920. With this one not being 100% original, it could be shot from time to time without fear of damaging a collector's item. So we came to a deal and consummated the trade this morning.

Some pics follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by farscott; 09-19-2020 at 01:54 PM.

My Dad carried the M1 in WWII. More than once, as a kid, I asked him why he didn't bring back a gun ("for me", generally remained unsaid). More than once, he explained I wasn't born until 1949.

Eventually I figured it out . . .

My wife's maternal grandfather served in WW II, came home minus an eye, and acquired (how is lost to the sands of time) a M1 Garand. That rifle ended up with my wife's brother, so my wife is familiar with the M1 Garand. His US flag, presented during his funeral, is boxed and on display in a place of honor in our family room. The new-to-us rifle is a welcome addition.

Congrats on the new rifle! They're still making 6920s by the thousands but they aren't making anymore Garands.

I find them to be pretty cool. I bought mine back in the mid 90s when they were reasonable, and kick myself for not buying the complete M1D at the pawn shop for $800.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Congrats farscott, shoot that bad boy. Even though I really enjoy modern guns it is impossible not to love or appreciate such an incredibly historical gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Congrats farscott, shoot that bad boy. Even though I really enjoy modern guns it is impossible not to love or appreciate such an incredibly historical gun.
    It will get shot after my gunsmith goes through it and checks everything. We did not see any obvious issues, but we rather be safe than sorry. I think my wife is more excited about the rifle than I am. She enjoyed her grandfather's rifle and is glad to have one of her own.

The spam can that came with it is Greek ammo with a steel core. I will probably get some commercial M2 Ball and a few en bloc clips for the maiden run, so as to not have any range issues with the steel core and to provide fodder for reloads. Privi Partizan makes a M2 ball load that seems to get good reviews, so I will hunt some of that. Like most ammo now, it is unobtanium. That is fine as I need to add a few supplies, including .30-'06 dies.

Site Supporter
    Just posting this to get you more stoked to shoot it.

im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    It will get shot after my gunsmith goes through it and checks everything. We did not see any obvious issues, but we rather be safe than sorry. I think my wife is more excited about the rifle than I am. She enjoyed her grandfather's rifle and is glad to have one of her own.
    She's an absolute keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    She's an absolute keeper.
    Oh yeah, I definitely am punching above my weight class with her.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    That Garand will still be around kickin’ @ss after that 6920 has been worn out and turned into beer cans...
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List