Thread: Laser on an Open Gun

Laser on an Open Gun

So, I compete with my carry gun, so I leave my light and laser on. The way I see it, the laser is an electronic sight. At a Level 2 USPSA match, I was told that lasers are illegal even in open, as the rules do not explicitly list out lasers as being allowed for handguns, only in PCC, so the fact that they are listed in one place and not another means that they are no-go in open, otherwise they wouldn't list them explicitly in PCC.

Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    So, I compete with my carry gun, so I leave my light and laser on. The way I see it, the laser is an electronic sight. At a Level 2 USPSA match, I was told that lasers are illegal even in open, as the rules do not explicitly list out lasers as being allowed for handguns, only in PCC, so the fact that they are listed in one place and not another means that they are no-go in open, otherwise they wouldn't list them explicitly in PCC.

Is this true?
    What kind of light/laser? If it has removable batteries, take them out and put in some tungsten weights. Now it’s a frame weight. If Vogel can do it in limited, you can do it for open.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

But I think he’s wrong. Pretty sure open can have damn near anything for an electronic sight. There a couple threads over in the Brian Enos forums that talk about it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

The ruling was wrong. There was a two-week period 10-15 years ago (right when I got into competition shooting) when shooting 'tactical open' with a laser was the cool fad thing to do. It's not competitive because most stages in USPSA are outdoors, but it's legal.

Green lasers on PCC guns are still a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    The ruling was wrong. There was a two-week period 10-15 years ago (right when I got into competition shooting) when shooting 'tactical open' with a laser was the cool fad thing to do. It's not competitive because most stages in USPSA are outdoors, but it's legal.

Green lasers on PCC guns are still a thing.
    Yep, I was able to get an answer from USPSA HQ:

User Tag List