Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need instructions for Glock 44 rear sight adjustment

Site Supporter
    I ordered the 4 plastic OEM sights of the different heights that Glock sells. Figured that one of those should be the correct one and should be better then the adjustable one that came on the 44.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I ordered the 4 plastic OEM sights of the different heights that Glock sells. Figured that one of those should be the correct one and should be better then the adjustable one that came on the 44.

I think this is a good approach. The only reason I leave the adjustables on my late wife’s 21 is sentiment - I definitely don’t consider them to be desirable sights.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post

I am seriously considering the same approach, starting with 6.5 mm.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I am seriously considering the same approach, starting with 6.5 mm.

Install those factory fixed sights backwards and then you get a plain black rear sight. I sharpie’d out the goal post on my factory G44 adjustable rear and added an Ameriglo defoor plain black narrow front sight.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Install those factory fixed sights backwards and then you get a plain black rear sight. I sharpie’d out the goal post on my factory G44 adjustable rear and added an Ameriglo defoor plain black narrow front sight.
    This is a good idea for those who like black sights. I am probably one of the few shooters who likes the Glock sight picture. The biggest advantages for me are the certainty with which the fixed sights will maintain adjustment once installed as well as the plastic construction to avoid damaging the plastic dovetails.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    This is a good idea for those who like black sights. I am probably one of the few shooters who likes the Glock sight picture. The biggest advantages for me are the certainty with which the fixed sights will maintain adjustment once installed as well as the plastic construction to avoid damaging the plastic dovetails.
    I used to love the Glock ball in the box until my eyes started going to shit.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HJB View Post
    Went to the range this morning and fired a couple of hundred rounds of Federal Bulk ammo through my new Glock 44 with absolutely no problems of any kind.

I was primarily shooting to try to fine tune the sights on it. I used a rest and fired about 20 shots at 5 yards and it had a definite POI that was left of center. So I made a 1/2 turn change on the windage to the right. Still had some noticeable POI to the right of the POA, so made another 1/2 turn on the screw. Now seemed to be centered very well.

So, moved out to 7 yards and had a centered shot group for windage, but definitely shooting high. So, I made an adjustment moving the sight down and it moved to the very bottom of its range with about 1/2 turn on the screw. That brought it pretty well in to center using a 6 o'clock hold but I could not adjust any more even if I wanted to. So, I'm satisfied with the POI now but I'm a little surprised that those adjustments were necessary and especially that the elevation bottomed out with only one move on the adjustment.

So, shot about 80 more rounds, half at 5 yards and half at 7 yards, and got very good, well centered groupings at both distances. At 5 yards, everything within a 2 inch circle and at 7 yards, everything within a 3 inch circle. Considering how bad my eyes are I felt like that was good enough.
    OK back to the range today for some more "sighting" activities. Now, out to 15 yards, shots were consistently above POA by as much as 3 or 4 inches. But, there is no more adjustment available in the rear sight so will have to live with this. It is well centered at 5 and 7 yards and that is where I will do most shooting. I guess I could replace the front sight to get some more adjustment room but looks to me like there is no where that 5, 7 and 15 yards are all going to shoot POI at the same POA. Seems that this .22 definitely gains altitude at least out to 15 yards. I read somewhere that Glock sights these to be POA = POI at 25 yards so it must start dropping past 15 yards.

Windage sighting was very well centered at 15 yards just as it was at the 5 and 7 yard targets. Seems to be well aligned on that axis.

OK back to the range today for some more "sighting" activities. Now, out to 15 yards, shots were consistently above POA by as much as 3 or 4 inches. But, there is no more adjustment available in the rear sight so will have to live with this. It is well centered at 5 and 7 yards and that is where I will do most shooting. I guess I could replace the front sight to get some more adjustment room but looks to me like there is no where that 5, 7 and 15 yards are all going to shoot POI at the same POA. Seems that this .22 definitely gains altitude at least out to 15 yards. I read somewhere that Glock sights these to be POA = POI at 25 yards so it must start dropping past 15 yards.

Windage sighting was very well centered at 15 yards just as it was at the 5 and 7 yard targets. Seems to be well aligned on that axis.
    Something's wrong. A difference of 3 or 4 inches in POI moving from 7 to 15 yards doesn't make sense.

Here's the CCI standard velocity trajectory plot when sighted in at 100 yards:

Name:  CCI std.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  28.6 KB

That's probably a rifle barrel, so a pistol will be a bit steeper, but still much less than what you're seeing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Something's wrong. A difference of 3 or 4 inches in POI moving from 7 to 15 yards doesn't make sense.

Here's the CCI standard velocity trajectory plot when sighted in at 100 yards:

Name:  CCI std.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  28.6 KB

That's probably a rifle barrel, so a pistol will be a bit steeper, but still much less than what you're seeing.
    Yes, I see what you are saying. So when I go back to the range next week, I will shoot some more at 7 and 15 yards and again see what kind of variation I get. I guess looking at that chart that it should be much closer from 7 to 15 yards. So, I will check it again and be more precise on measuring the difference.

Thanks for that help and information.

Site Supporter
    Yes, I see what you are saying. So when I go back to the range next week, I will shoot some more at 7 and 15 yards and again see what kind of variation I get. I guess looking at that chart that it should be much closer from 7 to 15 yards. So, I will check it again and be more precise on measuring the difference.

Thanks for that help and information.
    If I understand correctly, you are using a 6:00 hold to hit at 7 yards? This means that the trajectory of the bullet crosses the line from the sights to the target before that 7 yard point. I would expect that bullet to continue rising at least out to 25 yards, perhaps dropping a bit before reaching 50 yards. So, your 15 yard results do not surprise me.

When I first shot my G44, I was convinced that I did not need to adjust the sights from the factory setting, but my most recent outing caused me to question that finding. Reports in this thread of the sights shifting due to slide reciprocation have made me curious. These sights were designed primarily to enable the G26 and G27 to score enough sporting purposes points to permit importation, and were never highly regarded.

User Tag List