Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need instructions for Glock 44 rear sight adjustment

Banned

Need instructions for Glock 44 rear sight adjustment

I just bought a Glock 44 because I don't want to shoot up my stock of 9mm ammo and I can still find cheap 22 ammo. I like the G44 because it is the exact same dimensions as my EDC so it feels pretty much the same as my Glock 19 except for the recoil.

But, I'll be darned if I can find anywhere that tells me what direction to turn the adjustment screws on the rear sight to change the elevation and windage. I can't believe that even the owners manual does not tell the answer to that. I have looked all over the internet and don't seem to be able to find that information anywhere.

Does anyone know somewhere that information is available ?

Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by HJB View Post
    I just bought a Glock 44 because I don't want to shoot up my stock of 9mm ammo and I can still find cheap 22 ammo. I like the G44 because it is the exact same dimensions as my EDC so it feels pretty much the same as my Glock 19 except for the recoil.

But, I'll be darned if I can find anywhere that tells me what direction to turn the adjustment screws on the rear sight to change the elevation and windage. I can't believe that even the owners manual does not tell the answer to that. I have looked all over the internet and don't seem to be able to find that information anywhere.

Does anyone know somewhere that information is available ?

Thanks....
    “Sights are the familiar white outlined U-notch rear and white-dot front. The rear sight is adjustable for both elevation and windage, but the elevation adjustment is somewhat unusual. Both adjustment screws are on the right side of the sight. The windage adjustment is a conventional screw, but the elevation adjustment is a cam that lifts the sight in the housing. Half a rotation provides all the elevation change available and a full rotation puts the rear sight back where it was.“

Found this relating to the standard Glock adjustable rear:

“ Turn windage screw (lower front screw) clockwise to go right, counter clockwise to go left.

When you turn the height adjustment it just goes all the way up and then starts at the bottom again. Three clicks up on mine takes it to about where a G17 is so I would start with four clicks up from the lowest, shoot from a rest and see where you are to start with.”

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    “Sights are the familiar white outlined U-notch rear and white-dot front. The rear sight is adjustable for both elevation and windage, but the elevation adjustment is somewhat unusual. Both adjustment screws are on the right side of the sight. The windage adjustment is a conventional screw, but the elevation adjustment is a cam that lifts the sight in the housing. Half a rotation provides all the elevation change available and a full rotation puts the rear sight back where it was.“

Found this relating to the standard Glock adjustable rear:

“ Turn windage screw (lower front screw) clockwise to go right, counter clockwise to go left.

When you turn the height adjustment it just goes all the way up and then starts at the bottom again. Three clicks up on mine takes it to about where a G17 is so I would start with four clicks up from the lowest, shoot from a rest and see where you are to start with.”
    Thanks for that, it helps a lot. That's what I was looking for but could not seem to find it anywhere.

I appreciate your reply.

My personal experience with these is that they are frustrating enough to replace.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My personal experience with these is that they are frustrating enough to replace.
    What did you replace them with ? I have read that you must be careful what you replace them with since the slide is plastic. Did you replace them yourself or have it done by a gunsmith ?

What did you replace them with ? I have read that you must be careful what you replace them with since the slide is plastic. Did you replace them yourself or have it done by a gunsmith ?
    My experience with them is not on a G44, but that does sound like a concern. Maybe normal Glock fixed polymer sights are an option?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Banned
    So your frustration is with adjustable sights in general and not necessarily the ones on the Glock 44 ?

I have adjustable sights on my S&W .22 compact and adjusted them once, marked the positions with white marker and have never had to touch them again.

I will have to see how it shoots and if I can adjust it to my desired POA/POI first and then leave them alone. If they will do that then I would be pretty reluctant to try to change them because of the plastic slide. Other than that, they look exactly like any other standard Glock plastic sights which is fine with me because I will only shoot this at the range most likely so don't really see the need to change to night sights or ameriglo type sights.

Thanks for your comments.

So your frustration is with adjustable sights in general and not necessarily the ones on the Glock 44 ?

I have adjustable sights on my S&W .22 compact and adjusted them once, marked the positions with white marker and have never had to touch them again.

I will have to see how it shoots and if I can adjust it to my desired POA/POI first and then leave them alone. If they will do that then I would be pretty reluctant to try to change them because of the plastic slide. Other than that, they look exactly like any other standard Glock plastic sights which is fine with me because I will only shoot this at the range most likely so don't really see the need to change to night sights or ameriglo type sights.

Thanks for your comments.
    Not with adjustable sights at all, but with Glock’s implementation of them. They have an odd rotating cam design with limited range, in my experience they tend to vibrate out of adjustment, and they are fragile. (My late wife broke four or five of them over the years, all by handling and not from recoil.) Legend has it they were designed quickly to add points for import, and they weren’t really intended for serious use.
    Ken

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Not with adjustable sights at all, but with Glock’s implementation of them. They have an odd rotating cam design with limited range, in my experience they tend to vibrate out of adjustment, and they are fragile. (My late wife broke four or five of them over the years, all by handling and not from recoil.) Legend has it they were designed quickly to add points for import, and they weren’t really intended for serious use.
    Well, I have ameriglo sights on my Glock 19 and they are great. If a .22 will vibrate them out of adjustment, then I will consider changing them, but this is only for some target shooting for fun. The gun won't get much banging so I hope they don't get broken. I'm mostly concerned because I have seen several reviews that said the gun shoots high even with the rear sight at the bottom adjustment. If I end up with one that is like that, I will most likely change the front sight to a different height. That's pretty easy and should not risk damage to the plastic slide.

Thanks again for your comments and help.

Banned
    Went to the range this morning and fired a couple of hundred rounds of Federal Bulk ammo through my new Glock 44 with absolutely no problems of any kind.

I was primarily shooting to try to fine tune the sights on it. I used a rest and fired about 20 shots at 5 yards and it had a definite POI that was left of center. So I made a 1/2 turn change on the windage to the right. Still had some noticeable POI to the right of the POA, so made another 1/2 turn on the screw. Now seemed to be centered very well.

So, moved out to 7 yards and had a centered shot group for windage, but definitely shooting high. So, I made an adjustment moving the sight down and it moved to the very bottom of its range with about 1/2 turn on the screw. That brought it pretty well in to center using a 6 o'clock hold but I could not adjust any more even if I wanted to. So, I'm satisfied with the POI now but I'm a little surprised that those adjustments were necessary and especially that the elevation bottomed out with only one move on the adjustment.

So, shot about 80 more rounds, half at 5 yards and half at 7 yards, and got very good, well centered groupings at both distances. At 5 yards, everything within a 2 inch circle and at 7 yards, everything within a 3 inch circle. Considering how bad my eyes are I felt like that was good enough.

User Tag List