Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jones Fracture need fitness advice.

Jones Fracture need fitness advice.

So last week I decided to upgrade my running shoes and went to a retailer who offered 3d imagery of my feet to get some good shoes. The gal at the store sold me a pair of New Balance 860s. I proceeded to go home, put them on and take a run. About a mile in, I felt pain so sharp that I couldn't go any further. I had to stop and could barely get home. That evening the pain was so bad, I needed crutches to get around. The next morning, I contacted a podiatrist to see if they could determine what was going on. They told me they could get me in the following Thursday (this was Wednesday the week before my appointment). Thinking it was plantar fasciitis, I proceeded to do stretches and ice to try to loosen it up. I did work in the yard over the weekend and even went out of town for work and walked a mile to a restaurant. Fast forward to my appointment, the Dr took x rays and told me I had a fracture of the #5 metatarsal. The injury is known as a Jones Fracture. Dr advised me that I need a boot and can not put any pressure on it for fear of making it worse. In addition, he suggests surgery to put a screw in my foot. Needless to say, I am getting a second opinion for the surgery. With that being said, I have been doing a 5X5 strength training program consisting of squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press, and a few other compound exercises (4 days a week). On my rest days, I do cardio: 125 kettle bell swings, 4 circuits of battle ropes, and 30 min of jump rope. now that I have an injury, I can not put pressure on my foot and much of my strength program is kinda put on the back burner. Any suggestions on how I should frame my workouts while I recover? I am really hoping to avoid surgery, and want to stay "in the game" and am willing to do what it takes to do so.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    So last week I decided to upgrade my running shoes and went to a retailer who offered 3d imagery of my feet to get some good shoes. The gal at the store sold me a pair of New Balance 860s. I proceeded to go home, put them on and take a run. About a mile in, I felt pain so sharp that I couldn't go any further. I had to stop and could barely get home. That evening the pain was so bad, I needed crutches to get around. The next morning, I contacted a podiatrist to see if they could determine what was going on. They told me they could get me in the following Thursday (this was Wednesday the week before my appointment). Thinking it was plantar fasciitis, I proceeded to do stretches and ice to try to loosen it up. I did work in the yard over the weekend and even went out of town for work and walked a mile to a restaurant. Fast forward to my appointment, the Dr took x rays and told me I had a fracture of the #5 metatarsal. The injury is known as a Jones Fracture. Dr advised me that I need a boot and can not put any pressure on it for fear of making it worse. In addition, he suggests surgery to put a screw in my foot. Needless to say, I am getting a second opinion for the surgery. With that being said, I have been doing a 5X5 strength training program consisting of squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press, and a few other compound exercises (4 days a week). On my rest days, I do cardio: 125 kettle bell swings, 4 circuits of battle ropes, and 30 min of jump rope. now that I have an injury, I can not put pressure on my foot and much of my strength program is kinda put on the back burner. Any suggestions on how I should frame my workouts while I recover? I am really hoping to avoid surgery, and want to stay "in the game" and am willing to do what it takes to do so.
    Do you have access to a pool ? Swimming is the best thing I can think of.

You may find sucking it up and doing surgery and PT will ultimately get you back where you want to be quicker than the alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Do you have access to a pool ? Swimming is the best thing I can think of.

You may find sucking it up and doing surgery and PT will ultimately get you back where you want to be quicker than the alternatives.
    I have a pool at the house can definitely do that. If Dr #2 says that surgery is the best option and quickest recovery, I will go that way for sure.
    www.hero911.org

Site Supporter
    PM sent

Site Supporter
    I'm curious whether or not the shoes played any part in the fracture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    PM sent
    Received, will reach out Monday. I appreciate it.
    www.hero911.org

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I'm curious whether or not the shoes played any part in the fracture.
    According to the Dr the shoe caused me to put undue stress on the outside of my foot, causing the fracture. I did go back to the store and they gave me a pair of shoes with a neutral sole. I eluded to them in my discussion about the shoes causing my fracture but they would not really comment just gave me the replacements at no charge.
    www.hero911.org

Had a Jones fracture a number of years back (at age 25) and avoided surgery after wearing a knee-high medical boot for a month, then another month with the stiffest regular boots I could find. After the 2 months they took another x-ray and basically said “we don’t know if it’ll hold, but one way to find out...” Fortunately it held.

The problem with the Jones fracture is there is little blood flow in the area so the rate of healing is quite slow. I tried to hasten that by low impact movement- stationary bike, swimming, etc throughout the first couple months. With the benefit of hindsight, I’d prefer the surgery as it’s faster and more likely to be successful than the route I took.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Had a Jones fracture a number of years back (at age 25) and avoided surgery after wearing a knee-high medical boot for a month, then another month with the stiffest regular boots I could find. After the 2 months they took another x-ray and basically said “we don’t know if it’ll hold, but one way to find out...” Fortunately it held.

The problem with the Jones fracture is there is little blood flow in the area so the rate of healing is quite slow. I tried to hasten that by low impact movement- stationary bike, swimming, etc throughout the first couple months. With the benefit of hindsight, I’d prefer the surgery as it’s faster and more likely to be successful than the route I took.
    I appreciate your insight. Definitely good information. I have read about the lack of blood flow and slow recovery time.
    www.hero911.org

So, went to the orthopedic surgeon this morning for a second opinion. He said surgery is a last option. He would prefer to let it heal on its own and re x ray in 6 weeks. If it hasn't healed in that time frame, then he would do electronic stimulation, and then finally surgery. He advised it could take up to 16 weeks for this to heal. In the mean time, the next 6 weeks will be "Non weight bearing" so I get to use one of those really cool scooters, or crutches, or an I Walk 2.0.

Regarding exercise, I went through the Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding and found every exercise that could be done from a seated position. I have put together a 4 day program with all of them. Unfortunately, I won't be able to deadlift or squat for a while. I also did battle ropes seated yesterday and got one heck of a workout. So, I will see how it goes.
    www.hero911.org

User Tag List