Thread: Wear Your Glasses and a Question

Wear Your Glasses and a Question

Tonight I was going through the container of rounds I have messed up over the last year and pulling bullets.

I'd already gone through most of the 9mm when WHAM! the plastic nut on my RCBS pow'r pull disintegrated. A pretty good hunk hit my glasses. Thankful I was wearing them. Ordered a replacement off Amazon, no one local had one.

I do have a question, though: Most of my booboos involve split cases which I find when I case gauge. In those cases there is a perfectly good primer in a junk case. Is there anyway to salvage the primer?

I wouldn't normally ask, but if the shortages keep up, I might be glad to have a couple dozen primers.

Thanks!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Give the primed empty cases to a friend who needs to drop test a P320.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Most of my booboos involve split cases which I find when I case gauge. In those cases there is a perfectly good primer in a junk case. Is there anyway to salvage the primer?
    Thanks!
    I just run those split case rounds through my Glock and don't pick up the brass.

When I asked my reloading guru back in the last century what to do about split cases, he asked “does it still hold powder?”
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Tonight I was going through the container of rounds I have messed up over the last year and pulling bullets.

I'd already gone through most of the 9mm when WHAM! the plastic nut on my RCBS pow'r pull disintegrated. A pretty good hunk hit my glasses. Thankful I was wearing them. Ordered a replacement off Amazon, no one local had one.

I do have a question, though: Most of my booboos involve split cases which I find when I case gauge. In those cases there is a perfectly good primer in a junk case. Is there anyway to salvage the primer?

I wouldn't normally ask, but if the shortages keep up, I might be glad to have a couple dozen primers.

Thanks!
    If you can run the case through a decapping die you can save the primer. I had some hard to find brass and a guy on another forum wanted it. I gently deprimed the cases before shipping. I loaded the primers in something else and they all went bang.

When I see split cases, I toss them.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I have had some experience where salvaged primers maybe wanted to get stuck in the feeder tube on the Dillon. Cannot say for certain, but if one is reluctant to drop down in there I wouldn't force it.
    These days I have been trying to set them on the primer ram one at a time, as long as I only have a few.

I have have popped out small pistol primers and re-used them again without any issues.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    So, depending on the size of the split I have both used a single stage to deprime and reuse the primer and simply reloaded the split case. I’ll set them aside and when I know I’ll work on slow-fire, I’ll load a magazine dedicated to “questionable” quality ammo such as split cases, dented bullets, anything else.

On the (tangent) topic of split cases, if a case seems to not be flared for the bullet that is a tip-off that it could either be split and sprung back from the flare die or might be a 380 that was too short to reach the flare.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    On the (tangent) topic of split cases, if a case seems to not be flared for the bullet that is a tip-off that it could either be split and sprung back from the flare die or might be a 380 that was too short to reach the flare.
    The 550 case feed catches 380's by jamming at the feed plunger. I use a hooked pick to get them out of the way. Surprised the number of .380's I get while picking up brass on the grass. Normally, if I'm static I put out a painter's tarp and get only my brass.

I like to think I catch most split cases when I look down to check powder before advancing the plate. But obviously I don't. At that point though, the case is already primed.

I'm loading once fired brass and notice that a significant number of split cases are Speer's. I bought almost 3,000 pounds of range brass for 2 cents a pound more than they (used to be 'we') had been selling it for a month after I retired, so I'm sure most of the brass in the barrels was once fired.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 09-20-2020 at 06:14 PM.

User Tag List