Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    No points for guessing who said these quotes:

"The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president."

"Our view is this: Give the people a voice in the filling of this vacancy."
    Those quotes should also be put in context.
    Obama was a lame duck ineligible for re-election.
    Sometimes being a lame duck is advantageous, sometimes it's not.
    When it came to appointing a SC Justice that had to be approved by the opposition controlled Senate, that lame duck didn't get off the ground.

I want Trump and the Senate to ram through a Constitutional originalist Justice that makes Thomas look like a Kennedy moderate.
    Completely demoralize the democrat voters right before the election.
    Make them think their world has ended and that voting is just a waste of time.

After all... "elections have consequences".
    No points for guessing who said that...
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    5. Thus, he postpones the nomination, saying he will do the right thing after he gets re-elected.
    On the other hand, the primary motivator for a lot of folks was the Supreme Court Justices. If he vacillates on that when he has the opportunity to do what he promised, why bother putting him back in office?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    No points for guessing who said these quotes:

"The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president."

"Our view is this: Give the people a voice in the filling of this vacancy."
    I’m pretty sure most of us know who said that. If the situation was reversed (DNC majority in the senate) we would be hearing the same thing from Chuck right about now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I’m pretty sure most of us know who said that.
    Vlad Putin?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Completely demoralize the democrat voters right before the election.
    Make them think their world has ended and that voting is just a waste of time.
    I think you may have misspelled "completely enrage thereby ensuring an even larger turnout".

Which is basically what Trump has been doing in every federal election since 2016. The GOP has hemorrhaged votes, lost the house, gone from controlling nearly 2/3 of the governor's mansions in the US to just barely half, and turned what could have been a major senate victory (they only had to defend something like 11 seats and the Democrats had twice that) into a paltry 2 seat gain while simultaneously managing to lose both Arizona and Alabama, neither of which has had a Democrat sitting in one of their Senate seats since before Kurt Cobain died.

But yes. I'm sure they'll be so demoralized.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I think you may have misspelled "completely enrage thereby ensuring an even larger turnout".

Which is basically what Trump has been doing in every federal election since 2016. The GOP has hemorrhaged votes, lost the house, gone from controlling nearly 2/3 of the governor's mansions in the US to just barely half, and turned what could have been a major senate victory (they only had to defend something like 11 seats and the Democrats had twice that) into a paltry 2 seat gain while simultaneously managing to lose both Arizona and Alabama, neither of which has had a Democrat sitting in one of their Senate seats since before Kurt Cobain died.

But yes. I'm sure they'll be so demoralized.
    The Alabama loss was due to Democrats voting in the republican primary and choosing the worst possible candidate to put up for election and funneling in tons of money. It had little to do with sentiment on Trump and far more to do with a lot of republicans/conservatives who had known of Moore for far too long in this state and refused to allow him to hold a national office representing us.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    The Alabama loss was due to Democrats voting in the republican primary and choosing the worst possible candidate to put up for election and funneling in tons of money. It had little to do with sentiment on Trump and far more to do with a lot of republicans/conservatives who had known of Moore for far too long in this state and refused to allow him to hold a national office representing us.
    I'm aware. I was firing for effect. I was born in Alabama and lived there for a bit shy of forty years. I'm acquainted with the Roy Moore / Doug Jones (who is almost guaranteed to not win re-election) kerfuffle.

Kirsten Sinema and Martha McSally, on the other hand, have no local history like that. McSally was a bog-standard Trump supporting Republican and lost fair and square to Sinema. She's sitting in McCain's old seat simply because the governor appoints the fill-in to serve out McCain's term. Arizona has a blue senate seat with no shenanigans; just how the election turned out.

edit: I know a fair few AL democrats and none of them voted for Moore in the primary; the idea of trying to skunk the general with a bad candidate had way too high a chance to backfire Trump style. I know I voted in the 2016 Republican primary (for kasich) which is perfectly legitimate even though I'm not registered for any party. As far as I can tell, primary voters vote for more extreme candidates in general, and Moore is no exception. They put a bad candidate on the ticket and lost. Out of state money does rankle a bit, but it's just a modern fact of life. The GOP is spending in states where they think it will bring about an advantage. Democrats do the same.

edit2: gah, I meant Moore, not Jones.
    Last edited by jh9; 09-19-2020 at 09:57 AM.

I love all this politically correct wokeness from people that claim to be on the right. Go ahead and choke back those tears over someone who was in opposition of your right to defend yourself and your family and in a position to have upheld unconstitutional legislation that would have made you a felon.

When Bill Clinton dies are you guys gonna weep for him too? The guy who sexually assaulted his way through his whole political career, from Arkansas to the White House to Epstein Island?

She could have stepped down anytime during Obama's first or second term if she was concerned about being replaced by an originalist. But she didn't. She chose to stay on so she could be replaced by President Hillary, and we all known how that worked out. She could have been retired, enjoying time with her family, but instead she chose to remain in a position she couldn't stay awake to participate in.

Name:  Screen-Shot-2020-09-19-at-8.38.02-AM.png
Views: 400
Size:  23.2 KB
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I love all this politically correct wokeness from people that claim to be on the right. Go ahead and choke back those tears
    I love how what used to be called "basic human decency" is now politically correct wokeness.

User Tag List