Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NWshooter View Post
    Epic. +1000 Newbiean PF dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Then salute the rank, not the person holding it.

Whether you, individually, like it or not, the person held a rank that is not bestowed to merely anyone, but in fact is earned through work and merit.

-

I find it fascinating that folks of one stripe who would sneer at a person of the other stripe and call them names for saying, "Trump isn't MY president." Are happy to celebrate the death of a a SCOTUS Justice, because she wasn't their justice.

Personally, my hypocrisy only goes so far, and it's not that far down.

I'm saddened by the loss of RBG for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is, her death all but guarantees a continued fucking shitshow for the rest of 2020 - and I could have really done without the fucking Looney Toons antics that are about to get dialed up to 14.
    That ship was blown up in the harbor right about the time a "community organizer" soiled the reputation of the highest office in this country.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I expect the filibuster will be gone within the first year of a Democratic majority. Once that’s gone, I expect the Supreme Court to be expanded. Unlike the last time Democrats attempted that, we as a society lack the shared bonds, respect for process, restraint, ability to sacrifice for the common good, and candidly the decency to stop it this time around. As our procedural norms have been steadily eroded over the past two decades, being in the minority will mean an almost-absolute powerlessness. It won’t be pretty for us as a country.
    The pendulum always swings. Every rule you make, every precedent you set to gain a political advantage will eventually be used by your opponents. Why don’t the idiots in Washington get that?

In one of my favorite works of fiction, a king says “We may all be busy trying to throw each other overboard, but none of us is so foolish as to start drilling holes in the bottom of the boat” I wish we were that wise.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Zero compromise. Trump should nominate the most staunch adherent to the letter of the U.S. Constitution as written he can find. Anything less than that and I'll write in Putin on the ballot.

As for RBG... I am absolutely positively glad she's no longer on the SCOTUS. She never should have been there in the first place.

If there is such a thing as a soul, I do wish for hers to rest in peace.

DITTOS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Isn't that literally what every president is supposed to do?
    Not anymore, Scotus is supposed to act as a mini-legislature to act on, pass, remove things your tribe doesn't like. Sad isn't it?

Here's a theory I read:

1. Most folks think Trump is a butt, including all but the true believers.
    2. The GOP/Conservatives want to keep him around for the courts.
    3. If he gets a SCOTUS conservative in place now, that gives a solid majority.
    4. Thus, who needs him in, causing the hold your noise folks to vote against him or not turn up.
    5. Thus, he postpones the nomination, saying he will do the right thing after he gets re-elected.

Just another theory from the Internetz for your entertainment. I agree this will be another rant fest shit show. Is the whole country only determined by Roe v. Wade and LGBQT rights issues? Neither puts a better pay check into your pocket. Just social bread and circuses.

2nd Amend. that's a bit more crucial to liberty.

Site Supporter
    Cries for decorum and manners surrounding her death went out the window when they Kavanaugh'd Kavanaugh.

SC nominations have become next-level stupid in political circus theatrics.

It'd be a fools errand to think manners, decorum, and cooperation with the other party is going to get you anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Roe v. Wade and LGBQT rights issues?.
    The former is really important to me, but I am comfortable that an originalist justice is more likely to make choices which support both the second amendment and the right to life. As I’ve written elsewhere, I’m extremely unlikely to vote for an anti-gun candidate if I vote straight life.
    Ignore Alien Orders

He may wait until after the election. He would still have two months to confirm if he's not elected.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    No points for guessing who said these quotes:

"The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president."

"Our view is this: Give the people a voice in the filling of this vacancy."
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

How about this quote.

[The Senate's constitutional duty to give a fair and timely hearing and a floor vote to the president's Supreme Court nominees has remained inviolable]

I think we can find plenty of statements from both sides contradicting what they are saying now.

The people in charge make the rules.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List