Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I gotta disagree with you, @jh9, assuming I'm reading you right in your post above.

Not taking advantage of the opportunity to put a conservative in the SC now is like hoping that the felon holding you at gunpoint won't hurt you if you don't resist. I prefer not to put my trust in the better angels of politicians...(of any stripe). Have we learned nothing from the skulduggery of recent years?

Strike while the iron is hot.
    The advantage will still exist between Election Day and January of next year. Trump and McConnell both being lame ducks don't change what they can do in the interim.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    The advantage will still exist between Election Day and January of next year. Trump and McConnell both being lame ducks don't change what they can do in the interim.
    I suppose that's true...but I see no reason to delay. Any of a number of unforeseen matters may rear their ugly heads between now and January 20.

Another novel virus, being invaded by Iceland, climate change causing the ocean to overrun the continent, a plague of locusts, Ocasio-Cortez winning another term, Trump molesting someone in an elevator.

Yeah, not gonna chance it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I suppose that's true...but I see no reason to delay. Any of a number of unforeseen matters may rear their ugly heads between now and January 20.
    Well, you could do it on Nov 5 if you wanted to, but like I said. We're spectators, so let's see what happens. Don't really have much choice.

plague of locusts,
    Where are we with the murder hornets again?

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Beyond destiny, this election's being set up, intentionally, to be a hot mess. We need the SC to be intact.
    Obviously very important in an election year and senate should vote ASAP.

Wasn't any different when Garland was nominated either but there were only 8 judges for almost a year, all orchestrated by McConnell. That serves nobody.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-20-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Another novel virus, being invaded by Iceland, climate change causing the ocean to overrun the continent, a plague of locusts, Ocasio-Cortez winning another term, Trump molesting someone in an elevator.

Yeah, not gonna chance it.
    I thought we were going to buy Iceland. Is that deal off the table now?

I gotta disagree with you, @jh9, assuming I'm reading you right in your post above.

Not taking advantage of the opportunity to put a conservative in the SC now is like hoping that the felon holding you at gunpoint won't hurt you if you don't resist. I prefer not to put my trust in the better angels of politicians...(of any stripe). Have we learned nothing from the skulduggery of recent years?

Strike while the iron is hot.
    Precisely.

Delaying the process for the sake of fostering civility that is no longer present gets the Republicans nowhere. The process being undertaken is due under the constitution; if the Democrats were similarly positioned (that is, in control of the Senate which is the deciding body) then they'd be equally just to do as the Republicans are now.

Get it done post haste. The next "crisis" will be along soon enough and I am sure that everyone will want to have the ability to devote their full attention to it.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

I had forgotten one fact until hearing some analyzing on the radio while running errands: according to the constitution, congress gets to set the number of SC justices.

So assuming the Senate runs this nomination through?

If the Dems take the Senate and the White House, there is absolutely nothing unconstitutional about them raising the number of justices to 11 and obliterating this "gain" before a more conservative court has a chance to do anything.

Which, if things don't work out this way this time, is probably going to occur the next time it makes sense for one party and they are in a position to do so. And then the court will expand and "change sides" almost every time the presidentcy changes parties.

We need to reform the way the court is chosen and functions. Until we do, these battles will only get worse and worse.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    That ship was blown up in the harbor right about the time a "community organizer" soiled the reputation of the highest office in this country.
    Because no damage was done circa 1973-1974.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I had forgotten one fact until hearing some analyzing on the radio while running errands: according to the constitution, congress gets to set the number of SC justices.

So assuming the Senate runs this nomination through?

If the Dems take the Senate and the White House, there is absolutely nothing unconstitutional about them raising the number of justices to 11 and obliterating this "gain" before a more conservative court has a chance to do anything.

Which, if things don't work out this way this time, is probably going to occur the next time it makes sense for one party and they are in a position to do so. And then the court will expand and "change sides" almost every time the presidentcy changes parties.

We need to reform the way the court is chosen and functions. Until we do, these battles will only get worse and worse.
    This all started with Harry Reid (D) in 2013. Tit for tat ever since.

https://time.com/5324365/harry-reid-...supreme-court/

I don't blame the GOP for putting another SC justice in there before Jan 20. It's the right thing to do.

McConnell was still wrong by not bringing a vote on Garland. He isn't someone I would want in the senate. He's Pelosi's twin.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I’m pretty sure most of us know who said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Vlad Putin?
    Moscow Mitch.

But, for what it's worth, I don't have the personal bandwidth anymore to get into this fight.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List