Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died

Site Supporter
    Where are you seeing this?
    A Google search on “Pelosi+Ocasio-Cortez+impeachment” yields no hits in 2020 news stories.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    It is interesting to see that the Left, led by Speaker Pelosi and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, are now signalling that impeachment proceedings are needed to stop President Trump from filling the vacancy on the court. I wonder what charges they'll pursue under such an action. How do they propose to impeach a sitting, duly-elected president for exercising his constitutional duty to nominate a successor? Or is Mr. Trump supposed to ''burn it all down'' in an act of sympathetic rage for the Left?

Conversely, if the Left still wants to ''burn it all down'' because the system needs to be done away with, why do they care about using it to impeach President Trump?

From the looks of things, the Left's perpetual temper tantrum will continue on its inexorable course.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    A Google search on “Pelosi+Ocasio-Cortez+impeachment” yields no hits in 2020 news stories.
    I've seen it in several MSM articles over the last couple days.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pel...eme-court-pick

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...-vote-n1240568

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...e-b507574.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/20/pelo...r-options.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...at/5844313002/
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick62 View Post
    There's time. Page 12 at the link shows the number of days from submittal to the senate to final vote (the table doesn't include the Kavanaugh appointment circus). Highlights include Stevens in 19 days, O'Connor in 33 and Ginsburg herself in 43.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R44234.pdf
    Good clarification. The President has this duty under the Constitution and the Senate has the duty to look at it. They should do their duty.

Site Supporter
    Okay - thanks. Maybe my Google search didn’t pick those up because Ocasio-Cortez wasn’t mentioned (as far as I could see).
    Still looks like “make-news”, to me, though. When the Greek muppet asked if Pelosi would move to impeach, she didn’t say “no”. So now they have a “non-answer” to write headlines about.

But I appreciate you sharing the source.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Good clarification. The President has this duty under the Constitution and the Senate has the duty to look at it. They should do their duty.
    Agreed.

If it were the other way around, I'd agree with that, too. Each side will do best to stick to constitutional guidance for their actions, as we are a nation of laws.

In the long term—and on a time scale longer than most of us can intuit—the system is meant and designed to balance these political perturbances. The Framers knew that politics was always going to be fractious and designed the system to damper these oscillations.

As noted upthread, Justice Thomas is 72, Justice Breyer is 82, Justice Alito is 70, Justice Sotomayor is 66, and Chief Justice Roberts is 65. None of these Justices are exactly youthful.

They could all last as long as Bader-Ginsburg, or they could simply decide that they've had enough and retire at some unknown/unpredictable point, or any number of them could fall ill unexpectedly (not wishing that on anyone, by the way, just saying) as once the age of 65 is crossed physical decline and genetics becomes a really serious factor. There's plenty of room for the pendulum to swing the other way (or not) depending on how the next few elections go and without expanding the court by adding additional justices.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

And now the left has begun to eat itself with regard to Justice Ginsburg.

https://news.yahoo.com/amid-outpouri...185645000.html

Some noted her poor record of hiring Black law clerks and her comments in 2016 (which she later apologized for) calling Colin Kaepernick’s national anthem protests “dumb” and “disrespectful.”

Others re-upped long-standing critiques of RGB-mania, and perhaps even of the judge herself, as reflecting a myopic “white feminism.” On Twitter, there were calls to remember those “left behind” by the brand of feminism Ginsburg supposedly advanced, along with mocking references to the public grief over her death as a “white women’s 9/11.”
    The whiff of a backlash reflects long-standing tensions within feminism, as a movement sometimes criticized for being symbolized by, and primarily serving, middle-class white women has been challenged by a perspective that emphasizes the interplay of race, class, gender and other factors. It’s a tension that has only grown amid the Black Lives Matter protests of the past summer, as some have questioned whether a highly empowered older white woman ensconced in an elite institution was a fit hero for the moment.
    Jim Dodge was right: "The American Left...historically has been more concerned with doctrinal purity and shafting each other than with effective practice."

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I’ve got a secret for the Neville Chamberlains out there: the left is always in a state of perpetual rage.
    Confirming a justice is a no cost option. Agreed. Mitch didn't make this.

Trump should nominate a candidate and McConnell should schedule a Senate vote. There is no Constitutional requirement for a hearing, and we already know the slander the Dems would employ. McConnell should say that after what the Dems did at the Kavanaugh hearings, we will not allow that farce to happen again. Nominate and vote, let the chips fall where they may.

User Tag List