Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died

But she's nuttier than a fruitcake...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post

I want him to nominate a firebrand conservative, Jeanine Pirro type FEMALE and whip up some popcorn. If he doesn't push for the Senate to vote it projects weakness. Trump isn't going to do that...Thankfully!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Or Judge Judy.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Or Judge Judy.
    The way 2020 is going, maybe we need Judge Dredd...

Name:  dredd.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  16.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post

As to your point about seating a replacement for Ginsburg prior to the legal wrestling match that is in the cards, I suspect that that thought might have crossed the minds of several folks running his campaign. If we're going to go to (litigation) war, he's going to need every advantage that he can muster because the vast majority of the media (which behaves much like a wing of the Democratic Party) will bring its full force to bear on him in a way that will make what they've done up until now look like an ice cream social.

I do not believe that we can count on Justice Roberts either. Lately, he seems more interested in making it seem like he is being fair to both sides rather than making decisions based upon legislation and legal precedent/principle.
    Are we not considering the possibility that Biden very well could be the legitimate winner, and therefore legitimately deserve to win this suit we’re talking about, in which case Roberts wouldn’t be some traitor for ruling in his favor?

The court justices aren’t there to serve your or anyone else’s political ends, and none of them are beholden to any politician or party. They don’t owe anyone anything besides their best efforts at their constitutional duties, whatever that may mean for the outcome in a given case and regardless of whether they or anyone else likes that outcome.

Given that we don’t know the election results or the grounds or merits of any litigation that may follow it, it’s far too early to start counting court votes.

Go to 1:46 for relevant info.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Given that we don’t know the election results or the grounds or merits of any litigation that may follow it, it’s far too early to start counting court votes.
    This is 100% correct, but it doesn't really have any bearing on whether Trump should nominate or whether the Senate should consider his nomination in a timely manner. As RBG herself said, the president doesn't stop being the president in the last part of the term, and as such, he should make a nomination and the Senate should confirm or deny that nomination on its merits.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    This is 100% correct, but it doesn't really have any bearing on whether Trump should nominate or whether the Senate should consider his nomination in a timely manner. As RBG herself said, the president doesn't stop being the president in the last part of the term, and as such, he should make a nomination and the Senate should confirm or deny that nomination on its merits.
    I totally agree with that. Mitch McConnell agrees with it now also but he didn't when Obama was in office. He's a hypocrite of the first order and needs a dishonorable discharge for dereliction of duty. May that be his legacy going forward.

That's what we get when we have someone who is in their 70's running congress or in the WH.

Waiting for the real riots to start now.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-20-2020 at 10:09 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Pelosi is threatening a second impeachment trial to tie up the Senate.

If that happens I hope your ammo supply has been topped off.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I totally agree with that. Mitch McConnell agrees with it now also but he didn't when Obama was in office. He's a hypocrite of the first order and needs a dishonorable discharge for dereliction of duty. May that be his legacy going forward.
    I think they’re all hypocrites, but FWIW:

Like the so-called "Biden Rule," the standard that McConnell advocated in 2016 was that a Supreme Court vacancy should not be filled in an election year when the political party that has a majority in the Senate is not the same political party that controls the White House.

"You can disagree with the McConnell rule, which was previously known as the Biden rule, but you should describe it accurately. It's no confirmations in a presidential election year *when senate and presidency are held by different parties.* Doesn't apply this year," commentator Mollie Hemingway explained.
    https://www.theblaze.com/news/democr...-exactly-is-it

User Tag List