Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: China: CCP extends control of Chinese private sector

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Theyrehave been taking notes for decades.
    fify
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Don't look at the action, look for the reason.

Growing wealth leads to growing demand for freedom.

This is an authoritarian government reaction.

Will be interesting to see where it goes. WAY too early for it to turn bloody, IMHO.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Perceptive view, me thinks.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

That's was the hope and theory, but in practice that has not happened in China.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    That's was the hope and theory, but in practice that has not happened in China.
    Give it time. Perhaps a lifetime or two.

It's inevitable.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

This is an authoritarian government reaction.

Will be interesting to see where it goes. WAY too early for it to turn bloody, IMHO.
    My initial thoughts were:

1. Covid slowdown and folks finding alternative sources of supply are having an effect that needs to be dealt with. The CCP needs to insure their slaves are the cheapest so folks flock back.

2. The wealthy are getting too big for their britches and the CCP needs to make sure folks understand where they stand in the pecking order.

But I’m not too familiar with how things really work there, so it’s all WAG.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    So basically, perfecting fascism.
    The Nazis were much more about "working with loyal businesses" (up to the point of providing slave labor) than tight control of the individual businesses. And they saw industry as the backbone of a strong military and nation.

Whereas the CCP sees the battle between companies over the market as THE STRUGGLE to be won. By companies they ultimately control.

It does a disservice to the CCP to think they are no more sophisticated than 30s-40s era fascists. Hell, fascists had to tone down the anti-capitalist rhetoric to come to power. The CCP does not fear it's capitalists--except for fearing they will flee with their money.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Give it time. Perhaps a lifetime or two.

It's inevitable.
    The idea that capitalism inevitably led to democracy used to be big. I used to buy it.

Now, I think democracy leads to more productive capitalism, but capitalism probably has no effect on promoting democracy, in and of itself.

I hope increased affluence leads to more desire for political autonomy, but I worry that Huxley was 100% right in his scathing criticism of American Utopianism in Brave New World. The only idea we have moved past that he lampooned is eugenics.

What if bread and circuses is enough? And there are so many fancy breads and circuses these days.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Now, I think democracy leads to more productive capitalism, but capitalism probably has no effect on promoting democracy, in and of itself.
    I think that by 2020 and all the examples to date, this should be self-evident and inarguable. There's plenty of places out there that exercise capitalism but have remained incapable of adopting democracy. The only way it isn't if one holds the same viewpoint as communists and the failure of communism, and says, "Oh, but that wasn't real communism, nobody has actually tried real communism yet..."
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think that by 2020 and all the examples to date, this should be self-evident and inarguable. There's plenty of places out there that exercise capitalism but have remained incapable of adopting democracy. The only way it isn't if one holds the same viewpoint as communists and the failure of communism, and says, "Oh, but that wasn't real communism, nobody has actually tried real communism yet..."
    Well, if we genetically engineer in eusocial behavior, maybe it would work.....but, ick! ☹
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List