Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: BCM 11.5” GTG?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Would I be too hipster for saying get a 12.5? I just don't see the point of going less than that and not having 300 BLK unless cost is a factor.
    Alright, guys, let’s talk about that for a sec: another of my friendly LGS has a 9” BCM w/SBA3 in .300 black just sitting there mocking people who don’t understand the cartridge. Which is me. Seriously, it’s embarrassing how little I know about the short AR. I go from a guy who’s gun handling and questions inspire every sales guy in the store to snap to attention to bring me range rods and multiple guns to a guy that they all look at like “what a fucking moron” the minute you pull the handguns from my grasp and put one of these AR pistols in.

.300 Black in the braced pistol as an only AR: go, or no go? I’ve considered having a buddy from here help me build a short .300, but I don’t know what I don’t know.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Alright, guys, let’s talk about that for a sec: another of my friendly LGS has a 9” BCM w/SBA3 in .300 black just sitting there mocking people who don’t understand the cartridge. Which is me. Seriously, it’s embarrassing how little I know about the short AR. I go from a guy who’s gun handling and questions inspire every sales guy in the store to snap to attention to bring me range rods and multiple guns to a guy that they all look at like “what a fucking moron” the minute you pull the handguns from my grasp and put one of these AR pistols in.

.300 Black in the braced pistol as an only AR: go, or no go? I’ve considered having a buddy from here help me build a short .300, but I don’t know what I don’t know.
    What do you want to do with it/want it to be able to do?

@Totem Polar we can't all be an encyclopedia for everything. Well, maybe some can but I am not that guy so I see no shame in not knowing everything especially, if you are willing to seek knowledge where you can; and you regularly strike me as a gentleman of sorts who seeks to improve his own shortcomings. While I am no expert I have spent a lot of time with the cartridge. 300 Blackout is very good in a certain envelope but it comes at a cost. Including feeding and housing. I would sum it all up to this: if you are in a large urban area where engagement lengths are short, spaces are confined, intermediate barrier penetration is a premium as is size for getting in and out of vehicles and concealing the weapon 300 Blackout if fucking KING. Rifle ballistics within reason in the most compact weapon possible. If built right absolutely reliable.

If you want to have it as your only longish gun I would ask myself these questions:

1. How often might I used or train with it?
    2. What is the likelihood I will need it?
    3. Does the likely hood of needing it outweigh the cost of not having it when needed? (Me for example, I have small kids that are with me 24/7 so I can't retreat or get away).
    4. Do I have the above listed needs?
    5. Does it fill all these needs, or is there something that fits my needs better. Additionally can my issue be solved with training vs hardware?
    6. Does the capability of feeding it exist? Accessibility to ammo/logistics matter.
    7. Does the cost of feeding and training with it matter?

I feel I've already greatly detracted from the OP's question. You can PM me if you want to hear anything else I've experienced or if you have any specific questions. I would be happy to share anything I can perhaps I can save you from spending unnecessarily or making the same mistakes I made.

ETA: if 5 doesn't apply and 6, 7 do get a short 5.56mm and call it done. Normally I would say get an 11.5" but the 12.5 is probably better so long as it would be discrete enough. Just my .02 and worth what you paid for it. Hope this helps you.
    Last edited by Mike C; 09-18-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I’ve got two builds with 11.5” BCM ELW barrels and they run like wanted felons. Definitely can’t go wrong with BCM.

.300 BLK is expensive, harder to find, and has significant drop off at around 250m IIRC. But it’s very effective inside of that range and you can go very short on it and suppress it well. It definitely wouldn’t be a bad “only AR” but I’d still pick 5.56.

I have a quality 12.5 complete upper built around a Hodge barrel that’s listed elsewhere if you’re interested. It’s more expensive than the BCM but it’s very capable and if I only had one and was in an NFA/AR pistol friendly state, it’d be a 12.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    .300 BLK is expensive, harder to find, and has significant drop off at around 250m IIRC. But it’s very effective inside of that range and you can go very short on it and suppress it well. It definitely wouldn’t be a bad “only AR” but I’d still pick 5.56.

I have a quality 12.5 complete upper built around a Hodge barrel that’s listed elsewhere if you’re interested. It’s more expensive than the BCM but it’s very capable and if I only had one and was in an NFA/AR pistol friendly state, it’d be a 12.5.

I believe SBR's are a no go in WA State but pistols are GTG IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    What do you want to do with it/want it to be able to do?
    Just PDW stuff. Sort of a get it while you can deal. Plus, I’m getting tired of all my LEO buddies looking at me like I have 16 eyes when they find out that I’ve never owned an AR.

@Totem Polar I would sum it all up to this: if you are in a large urban area where engagement lengths are short, spaces are confined, intermediate barrier penetration is a premium as is size for getting in and out of vehicles and concealing the weapon 300 Blackout if fucking KING. Rifle ballistics within reason in the most compact weapon possible. If built right absolutely reliable.
    Solid, thanks.

I feel I've already greatly detracted from the OP's question. You can PM me if you want to hear anything else I've experienced or if you have any specific questions. I would be happy to share anything I can perhaps I can save you from spending unnecessarily or making the same mistakes I made.
    Don’t sweat the drift, since I’m the OP on this one.
    I appreciate the offer and input.

1-7 really isn’t a need thing. This is more a get an AR while I can thing, and I certainly enjoy a good training class as much as the next P-F’er. That said, I doubt if I’ll ever own more than one. I’m thinking about the braced pistol weapon system just because it can travel with me in places and ways where a standard M4gery cannot.

Most def urban, and compressed space. Plus, the idea of subsonic appeals to me as well. A can is one of the few cool toys that one can easily acquire in WA that isn’t a Ducati or something.

RFI: BCM 11.5” GTG?

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Just PDW stuff. Sort of a get it while you can deal. Plus, I’m getting tired of all my LEO buddies looking at me like I have 16 eyes when they find out that I’ve never owned an AR.

Solid, thanks.

Don’t sweat the drift, since I’m the OP on this one.
    I appreciate the offer and input.

1-7 really isn’t a need thing. This is more a get an AR while I can thing, and I certainly enjoy a good training class as much as the next P-F’er. That said, I doubt if I’ll ever own more than one. I’m thinking about the braced pistol weapon system just because it can travel with me in places and ways where a standard M4gery cannot.

Most def urban, and compressed space. Plus, the idea of subsonic appeals to me as well. A can is one of the few cool toys that one can easily acquire in WA that isn’t a Ducati or something.
    I’ve taken a bunch of AR classes, like a few weeks worth. I don’t know of anyone in any of those classes shooting .300BLK. I assume that’s entirely because of price which is a much better trade off than performance but not if it’s cost prohibitive to train. 5.56/.223 is cheaper and IMO, more versatile. I know there are threads and posts on here arguing against it but the shortest I’d go on a 5.56 is 10.3. 11.5 is a good balance as is 12.5. A true 14.5 is still decent but 16.1 OAL gets a bit longer than I prefer for GP use though many people don’t mind 16” barrels so more like 17” OAL.

I’m consolidating guns which is why I’m selling my 12.5. I’m active army and have to move around so AR pistol/NFA friendliness is less sure for me than people that are happily planted in red states, therefore I’ll always have some 14.5 pinned guns. Currently I have a 10.3 and 12.5 for shortties but that’s what I’m consolidating into 11.5. Bottom line being if I only had one AR, it’d be a 12.5 continuous tapered profile barrel of some sort in 5.56 with an MLOK rail and LPVO. Since I can have two, it’s a pinned 14.5 with LPVO and 11.5 with RDS.

All IMO, but I love the AR and and far more picky about it than most people.

Site Supporter
    Sounds like a short, braced .300 BO could be the way to go, then.

Site Supporter
    An advantage of getting an ar pistol first (in whatever caliber) is that you can always pickup a 14.5 pinned or 16” upper and stock to put on it later if you want to.

You can turn a pistol into a rifle and back to a pistol but not the reverse.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List